4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

More keyfob quirks

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
saz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More keyfob quirks

I know this subject has been hit a few times already- did a search.....

I bought my first Dodge a few weeks ago, a 2011 3500 Big Horn CCLB DRW 68RFE 4X4 3.73's and I have to say that I LOVE this truck! That being said, I have some issues with the keyfobs. I have owned fords for ever and they have their own functionality quirks, like you must push the unlock button twice to open all the doors etc...... Now I have been having the same issues many have had with the fobs, don't work when you are 3 feet from the truck etc.... I had read that if you locked the doors with the switch on the armrest, that it would disable the fob. Not true in my case- I have been trying that for the last few days and it is the same, works when it wants to. I have changed the batteries twice to rule out a bad battery, and when I bought the truck used I got a brand new fob from dodge thrown in and it works just as good/bad as the original one.

Is there anymore info on a fix for these things? The dealer here pretty much just shrugged and literally said "deal with it"- that guy almost got punched in the face. Like I said, I LOVE the truck but it is putting a bad taste in my mouth with Dodge. My fords had awesome electronics and even better customer service. HELP?????
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My 2011 seems to have blind spots when I'm very close up to the truck. It's like you push the button and it doesn't quite get all the signal so it's either thinking about what it just received or it momentarily locks out any more receptions. I have other non dodge vehicles that have remote transmitters and they seem to operate the same. I do remember reading for one of the vehicles that you are supposed to hold the transmitter up high and even get a better signal with it under your chin, I do neither of these things and perhaps that's why mine act the way they do. As for great electronics on Fords perhaps you don't ever remember seeing someone under the hood of a Ford beating on something with one of their shoes, looks really impressive if it's a woman in high heels. I'm talking about the ignition modules on gas trucks.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup, mine has blind spots (next to the left-rear passenger door for example) and doesn't like the cold, like if I left it in my secret hiding place inside the frame for more then a couple of hours in the winter.

By the way, the key FOB for my 2003 was amazing. I once unlocked the truck from 1/4 mile away while up on a mountain night skiing so one of my kids could climb inside. It was really neat to see my headlights flash way down in the parking lot from that distance. The FOB batteries/range were just as good as new when I sold the truck after 8 years. Wish I could say the same for this truck.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 PM
saz

I haven't noticed any blind spots or certain patterns of variables that would effect operation, such as being next to the passenger rear door etc.... It is totally random. Frustrating to say the least......

I did just buy another brand of battery to try- we shall see.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Yeah, have the same problems with dead spots. When I head to DC, I park in the same spot almost every morning, and walk to the subway. If I lock it when I am grabbing my bag out of the backseat, it works fine.

However, this is 6am, and since I am not always awake, as I am walking away, I generally hit it again, and probably 7 out of 10 times it does not work. I'll keep walking, and I can get 200 feet from it, turn around, and it works fine when I hit it.

Then walking up to it, if I get too close to it, it will not unlock probably 5 out 10 times. (And found out using the key in the lock sets off the alarm the hard way the first time this happened.)

It seems my dead spot is inline with the firewall, driver side, from 15 feet out, up to and including standing there with my shoulder up against the side view mirror.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does the same thing on my 2010 3500. It does not matter where I am standing. Most times it works with no problem other times you look like an idiot standing there trying to lock or unlock your truck. Frustrating as hell and Dodge is no help with an answer.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:09 PM
saz

Yes, it is getting VERY frustrating.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I did get an EVIC message a month or so ago that my key FOB battery needed to be replaced. I thought that was neat that the EVIC knew that, but the truck is only 20 months old

'Bout ready to have a normal key made for the key ring. If it doesn't unlock remotely while I'm walking up to it I'll just unlock it the old fashioned way.

By the way, I've done this several times with the spare key in the FOB and my alarm does not go off.