1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I just read that Commiefornia is considering outlawing vehicles with Internal Combustion engines in 10 years. In other words governor Moonbeam wants all electric cars. No idea if that means all the IC engined cars and trucks will have to move out of state.

Congratulations Mark. You got out just in time. Things are getting crazy out here.
And the economy will leave with it......
The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
bigragu (09-29-2017), mknittle (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
I just read that Commiefornia is considering outlawing vehicles with Internal Combustion engines in 10 years. In other words governor Moonbeam wants all electric cars. No idea if that means all the IC engined cars and trucks will have to move out of state.

Congratulations Mark. You got out just in time. Things are getting crazy out here.
FIGURES! It really does. It's a good place to be from.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
And the economy will leave with it......
I'll have to give ol' Linda Ronstad a call, and ask her to straighten his a$$ out, lol. He's play dough in her hands!
Old 09-29-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
I'll have to give ol' Linda Ronstad a call, and ask her to straighten his a$$ out, lol. He's play dough in her hands!
As old as he is I doubt it's a stiff as play-dough.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:50 PM

Old 09-29-2017, 06:51 PM

Replaced my U-Joints

I had a clanging sound from under the truck so I decided to take a look at the u-Joints. They were all worn in with grooves so I guess it was time. Unfortunately the trucks sitting in the driveway because we're not strong enough to push it back uphill into the garage. I refuse to work under it when it's on a slope.

The wife has some stuff she needs done so the plan is to hire a few strong backs from the Home-Depot lot to come help. Once I get it back in the garage I can slip the drive shaft back in.

I had to roll the truck out last night because it won't completely fit in the garage and I didn't want to leave it there with the garage door open. Tools tend to escape at night around here.

I'm getting too old for crawling around on the ground.

Edwin
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 PM

No where to hook a come along to the truck and onto a support in the garage? Not to pull the truck in, but that, along with all four wheels chocked, you should be okay. Maybe if you got a beater car, you could park in directly behind your truck, bumper to bumper? Just throwing out ideas, should the muscle heads not be there from Home Depot.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
No where to hook a come along to the truck and onto a support in the garage? Not to pull the truck in, but that, along with all four wheels chocked, you should be okay. Maybe if you got a beater car, you could park in directly behind your truck, bumper to bumper? Just throwing out ideas, should the muscle heads not be there from Home Depot.
I may buy the come-along because I need one. I don't have anything to hook onto in the garage unless I attach a bolt anchor to the floor. I have to look into that. The blocking the truck with a beater is a good idea but my wife says no way with her plastic bumper Equinox POS. I could probably get a few of the neighbors to help but I'm sore from beating on the driveshaft with a big hammer so I want to rest up some anyway. I finally had to go find a press to do the last joint because My vise wouldn't hold the yoke. Should have done the press to begin with so I wouldn't be so sore.

Edwin
mknittle (09-30-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I may buy the come-along because I need one. I don't have anything to hook onto in the garage unless I attach a bolt anchor to the floor. I have to look into that. The blocking the truck with a beater is a good idea but my wife says no way with her plastic bumper Equinox POS. I could probably get a few of the neighbors to help but I'm sore from beating on the driveshaft with a big hammer so I want to rest up some anyway. I finally had to go find a press to do the last joint because My vise wouldn't hold the yoke. Should have done the press to begin with so I wouldn't be so sore.

Edwin
I have an air hammer. I cut off a punch blank real short and ground a 3/8" square on the end. Sacrificed a couple of different cheap sockets for different sized u-joints.

I can change out a u joint underneath the truck laying on my back in about 5 minutes. You'd be amazed at how easy 1000 beats per minute moves a stubborn u-joint cap. I only have to hold the shaft/yoke in my hand. The weight of the piece is enough inertial backing.

As a bonus, there is zero risk of bending the yoke.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
I have an air hammer. I cut off a punch blank real short and ground a 3/8" square on the end. Sacrificed a couple of different cheap sockets for different sized u-joints.

I can change out a u joint underneath the truck laying on my back in about 5 minutes. You'd be amazed at how easy 1000 beats per minute moves a stubborn u-joint cap. I only have to hold the shaft/yoke in my hand. The weight of the piece is enough inertial backing.

As a bonus, there is zero risk of bending the yoke.
That sounds like a great system. Next time I need u-joints I'm coming to your house.

I used a couple of sockets myself but I used a 10 # hammer. I have an air hammer so next time I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the idea.

Edwin
Old 09-30-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Edwin
These are handy too. Work well for pulling heavy aircraft into hangers. Ironton 120 Volt AC Powered Electric Utility Winch — 1500-Lb. Capacity, Galvanized Steel Aircraft Wire Rope | AC Powered Winches| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 09-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,585 Posts
I set old axle u bolts in the back of the shop when pouring the concrete so I have a spot to hook a chain and my winch or a come-along to when I need to pull in a truck that may not run well or at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
edwinsmith (09-30-2017), mknittle (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I set old axle u bolts in the back of the shop when pouring the concrete so I have a spot to hook a chain and my winch or a come-along to when I need to pull in a truck that may not run well or at all.
Good move, Oliver!

Edwin, do you have access to a roto hammer? Dewalt or a Hilti? Any commercial guy in construction with a company tuck should have one on him, or you can rent one. Drill and set a Hilti brand flush insert, 3/4" minimum, and afte that's in you can thread in a 3/4" eyelet bolt, so you got something to anchor a come along onto, or for a winch, use 1/2" anchors. That way, you can remove the eye bolt or winch and that flush mount anchor won't ever be a toe stubber. Just make sure with that anchor you use the set tool to drive in the inner tapered wedge inside that anchor so as to expand that anchor in your garage slab.

Home Depot now carries the Hilti line of tools and anchors. With that, I bet you they rent that tool out in their tool rental dept. Like I mentioned earlier, you can use it to just hold the truck in place in your driveway with the use of wheel chocks, also, or if you want to pull your truck in that 3/4" anchor is plenty strong. Your weak point will be your come along if you buy a cheapie unit.

And please, if your come along is maxed out, don't replace the handle with a steel pipe!!! That is a decapitation waiting to happen, brother. The handles on those come along handles will bend if you exceed its capacity.
edwinsmith (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 01:40 PM

No more Clanking!

The wife hired 3 Mexicans for some yard work so I got them to push the truck back in the garage. After that it was about an hours work to put the drive line back in. I used my EarthQuake impact wrench on it's low setting to tighten the nut on the yoke of the G360. I hope it's tight enough. Since the shaft is splined I don't see it working out anytime soon. I'll check it out in a few weeks just to be sure.

I greased all the new U-Joints and then went for a short drive. No more Clanking when I change gears or lug down.

Bigragu, I have a Home Depot very near which is where we got the Mexicans. Right now they're cheaper than the tool rental and concrete anchors. I have seen the effects of a cable snapping so I have a healthy respect for those things. We had one snap vertically when lifting a machine once and it put a hole in the tin roof of the shop. The machine put a nice gouge in the concrete floor also.

Time to hit the showers.

Edwin
Old 09-30-2017, 02:18 PM

If it makes you feel better, lather up the threads with some good old locktite, then re apply that impact gun.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?