1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Driving home from work this morning and all of a sudden the runnning lights stopped working....no exterior lights or dash lights. Headlights, dome, turn signals, flasher, brake and stop lights all working just running dark. I eventually figured by moving the stock on the headlight switch between the regular points they would start working, but then I had no headlights.

Guess it's time for a new headlight switch.
When I first got my truck I had to drive it to KS from Texas at night in the rain. People kept flashing their lights at me for some reason but I had headlights. I finally figured out that there was an unlabeled toggle switch down low on the dash that turned on the tail and marker lights. The headlight switch was bad and the P.O. had wired in the toggle to control the lights that didn't work.

I have since wired in 2 toggle switches one for the headlights and another for the tail/marker lights. I still have the original headlight switch for the dash light dimmer reostat but pulling it out does nothing. I also added a relay kit for the front lights because I added the Hella 100 watt bulbs and the relays take the load off the dimmer switch which isn't so easy to replace. I love the 100 watt Hella lights. They are like flame-throwers.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
knock on my wooden head...in 30+ years of owning Dodge trucks I've never had a headlight switch issue
Old 10-29-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 1,333 Likes on 863 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Goose
knock on my wooden head...in 30+ years of owning Dodge trucks I've never had a headlight switch issue
First time for me too.....even after doing the headlight relay upgrade. Oh well dive into my spare parts and replace it tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (11-01-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
So, in PA, they remove tires to inspect brake components???

Really??

What else do they do?
Originally Posted by Foxmxrcer
I live in PA, and I'm a mechanic...I do inspections daily. The general break down is, tire tread depth (<3/32 fails), brake lining life(depends on if it's riveted or bonded, but generally 2/32 is minium), parking brake needs to work sufficiently, check all the lights, horn, steering and suspension components for play, frame and body condition (no rust holes allowed), check exhaust system for leaks, engine mounts, windshield cracks, and some other stuff, but that's the basics.... Some counties (like mine) Also require emissions testing.
What he said ^^^
Old 10-29-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota
What he said ^^^
Btw, since now I know you live in PA.... I think we exchanged a few words about you being into the old k cars (as am I), and obviously 1st gens... What part are you from? I'm from the York area, and I assume you're not, otherwise we probably would have crossed paths at some point in the past
Old 10-29-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Btw, since now I know you live in PA.... I think we exchanged a few words about you being into the old k cars (as am I), and obviously 1st gens... What part are you from? I'm from the York area, and I assume you're not, otherwise we probably would have crossed paths at some point in the past
Possibly I do own a 85 Shelby Charger as well. Yeah I am clear out by Altoona/Johnstown PA in Western PA.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota
Possibly I do own a 85 Shelby Charger as well. Yeah I am clear out by Altoona/Johnstown PA in Western PA.
Ya, I pretty much never go west past Carlisle. I've got a built 87 Shelby z. The body is getting really rough unfortunately, so I've been looking for an Omni for a heart transplant.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Well, I made the 500+ mile round trip to central WV and back. First actual trip since putting on the 19.5 Rickson wheels and re-sealing the IP.

Even with Samson drive tires that came on the wheels up front, the truck handles better and rides at least as well if not better than it did with the 265 16's the PO put on her.

With the pump advanced to the head (and I mean hard to the end of the slots), I am still getting pretty good grey smoke at idle and sudden acceleration, unless the engine is really hot. (The ksb will still raise, not reduce engine speed, so I'm not wildly over-advanced). By ear, the timing sounds on the advanced side of good, where I liked it on my last truck. I guess it is time to pull these supposed 190 injectors and see if they can be improved upon.

The 16cm exhaust housing and PDR turbo are cool running and low boost on the interstate . . . but get in the real hills, and I can't run down into the lower rpms as I like to. Not enough air for performance or to keep the egt's in check. I think I will try a 12cm housing, but see if I can get a more progressive gate actuation. (I'm not sure that will work out, but I think on my last truck, I was running much higher manifold pressures than I really needed most of the time.)

All in all, I got there and back with no problems, and pretty much kept up with anyone I cared to. What more can you ask for?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Ya, I pretty much never go west past Carlisle. I've got a built 87 Shelby z. The body is getting really rough unfortunately, so I've been looking for an Omni for a heart transplant.
I'm about 15 miles northwest of Harrisburg. If I run across any K car stuff I'll shoot you a PM. I saw a few in Stoneroads JY in Shamokin a couple weeks ago.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Yesterday I popped the hood on my poor neglected rig and 2 mice ran across the rad support (both got a flying lesson, one met the Boot of Death) and 2 ran across the firewall and disappeared into the DS fender.

Today I put 4 snap traps under the hood and 4 in the cab. I also removed the glove box and pulled a large mouse nest made of under hood padding out of it. I also had a conversation with the outside cats about doing their jobs.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrFusion:
Blue Goose (10-30-2017), thrashingcows (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
Yesterday I popped the hood on my poor neglected rig and 2 mice ran across the rad support (both got a flying lesson, one met the Boot of Death) and 2 ran across the firewall and disappeared into the DS fender.

Today I put 4 snap traps under the hood and 4 in the cab. I also removed the glove box and pulled a large mouse nest made of under hood padding out of it. I also had a conversation with the outside cats about doing their jobs.
It's that time of year....

Wife was told by someone that used cat litter (filled with nuggets of gold) is a great deterrent for mice, rats and squirrels.

Since she's been depositing a sealed shopping plastic bag of cat remnants under each of our vehicles at night, no more infiltration. Seems as though the smell of cat stank emits through the bag's surface, and warns the rats to keep out.

So far, I'll admit it works. She changes out the goody bags once every few days once the smell tends to dissipate.

And no, it doesn't make the truck smell

and no I don't mix it up with the Halloween goody bag either...
The following 4 users liked this post by NJTman:
Blue Goose (10-30-2017), mknittle (11-01-2017), MrFusion (11-01-2017), thrashingcows (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
It's that time of year....

Wife was told by someone that used cat litter (filled with nuggets of gold) is a great deterrent for mice, rats and squirrels.

Since she's been depositing a sealed shopping plastic bag of cat remnants under each of our vehicles at night, no more infiltration. Seems as though the smell of cat stank emits through the bag's surface, and warns the rats to keep out.

So far, I'll admit it works. She changes out the goody bags once every few days once the smell tends to dissipate.

And no, it doesn't make the truck smell

and no I don't mix it up with the Halloween goody bag either...

I think you are just nose blind to the smell, if our usless barn cat gets in my barn and takes a crap I can smell it before I open the door.

he would rather eat birds off the feeders, if I didn't feel obligated to keep him till he dies " he was my grandmas cat and she passed 2 years ago " I would send him to the rainbow bridge early.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
I'm about 15 miles northwest of Harrisburg. If I run across any K car stuff I'll shoot you a PM. I saw a few in Stoneroads JY in Shamokin a couple weeks ago.
Awesome, thanks man.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
....if our usless barn cat gets in my barn and takes a crap I can smell it before I open the door.

Well, that's odd...

My wife says the same thing about me, almost every morning....
The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
1STGENFARMBOY (10-31-2017), mknittle (11-01-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Well, that's odd...

My wife says the same thing about me, almost every morning....
Maybe you should crapping in the barn.
The following 2 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
1STGENFARMBOY (10-31-2017), mknittle (11-01-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?