1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Water/Methanol

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Water/Methanol

I built a two stage water/methanol injector system, and am going to use nitrous nozzles to carank it in.
1. What orifice hole sizes would I use for an intermediate boost spray and a high boost spray?
2. Is Ethanol OK?
3. Is it a kick in the shorts when it hits?

Mark
Old 06-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
1. I have no idea. You should test the nozzles with the pump to make sure they spray a mist and not droplets or a stream. With your fuel you want a little less than 1 liter per minute of flow, get yourself an empty soda bottle and a timer and see where you are with flow.

2. It's OK but not terrific. It's very expensive compared to meth, and it doesn't make as much power.

3. Yes. Consider buying the Snow progressive controller if you are going to tow with this system, he does sell it seperately from the kit.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't it create a spike in boost pressure when it kicks in?
What if you just run a small does at higher boost pressures? Would that help keep egts down while towing say in the mountains?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

The boost jumps up, yes. It's not a "spike" because it jumps up and stays up. Even with the progressive controller mine jumps about 3 psi when the system turns on.

For the best power and EGT control, it's best to run as much mater/meth as the engine will tolerate without bogging. EGT will drop 200 degrees if the system is properly tuned.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:29 PM

So how much will it jump if you just have a hobbs switch and a solenoid?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I'd expect to see 5 - 8 psi instantly. That could be interesting depending on what you are towing and how the weather is.

The progressive controller that Snow sells can be set up to come on softer than mine does. I have the pump pressure cranked up so high that the 50% duty cycle the controller puts out still causes a little jump. When I had less fuel and air and was running less water/meth the system was almost undetectable.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:50 PM

What exactly do you think would happen without the progressive controller?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

In wet weather or snow you could get a lot of wheelspin which could make you lose control.

Horses wouldn't appreciate the jerk.

For a play truck there's nothing wrong with a Hobbs system, but for towing I think the progressive controller is worth the money. I don't know about you, but I don't like anything to happen suddenly when I'm towing.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:17 PM

What kind of pump are you using for your kit mhuppertz? I have a 355lph @70psi pump I am thinking about using for a home made kit. Any details on how you made yours?

Also, with using N2O jets the water will be somewhat of a stream, so you may want to use a Shark nozle instead. It will spread the water into more of a light spray/mist.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:24 PM

Thats good information as usual, thanks wannadiesel
Old 06-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I just noticed that Summit Racing is carrying the Snow kits. Diesels are really starting to go mainstream I guess.

The pump in the Snow kit is an ag sprayer pump made by ShurFlo. You can get it from Northern Tool (get the big one).

It is very important that the water be a mist, otherwise it will not vaporize quickly enough and will tend to puddle and run into the cylinders as a liquid - not good!

A proven combination of parts was the big reason I didn't cobble together my own system.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally posted by apwatson50
Thats good information as usual, thanks wannadiesel
It's not Wannadiesel anymore, people... It's DIESELGURU!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just a added note, shurflo model #8000-541-238,,,,,,100 psi
#8000-541-238,,,,,,150 psi

In my syatem i run the 150 psi pump, i use a agriculture misting nozzle (any tractor supply)
it can deliver 2.8 glns per hour at 60 psi. they have a list of the nozzles capacity at tractor supply, where i got mine. but the 2.8 seems to give the best punch, i played with several before picking this one.

for smaller pumps remember a 70 psi pump has to overcome the boost to spray, (example) 30 lbs of boost and a 70 psi pump leaves 40 psi of pressure, thats not enough to atomize the water/meth as well,

most nozzles need at least 60 psi to work effectivly, and the water/meth will raise the boost and make the spray pattern worse.

I use the hobbs switch, and trust me when it kicks in its rather SUDDEN. but it drops my egt about 175 degrees on the average.

I do run ethynol instead of methynol, because i cant find meth around here, but i run it 70% ethynol to 30% water. a 5 gallon pail from any paint store will work plus what you get from a paint store is 10% meth, my son gets mine from home depot.

Unlike wannaguru ii like the sudden surge..... but i can bypass my hobb switch when pulling just so i dont get the jerk if i have a tractor and baler behind me. I used a varible switch which cuts voltage and reduces the pump psi, if im pulling. it doesnt harm the pump, they can run on 8 to 15 volts with no damage, (BUT NOT 100% DUTY)

oops i forgot, best prices on pumps iv found,
http://www.systemacc.com/catalog/ind...76a9a70f03eb72

also the diagram i used to build mine,
http://www.turbomirage.com/waterpix/waterinjection.gif
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Excellent info! The point you made about the pressure differential is very important, you must have a fine spray/mist or there will be trouble. That Shurflo is the exact one Snow supplies on the Stage II kit.

Have you tried running less ethanol, say a 20% mix? That ought to drop the EGT a lot more. 70% is kind of a lot, especially while working the truck.

You're running only one nozzle? Is your system able to bog the motor if you turn the pump up all the way?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:25 PM

Question... Since we're on the topic...

Since water and any form of alcohol... has little to no lubricating properties... could you dump in some Dextron Tranny Fluid into your fuel(not the mix of water/meth but the diesel tank itself)?. Some use it to unstick injectors and such so I was wundering what this'd do? Would it allow you to hold your water/meth longer for more pull?

Quick Reply: Water/Methanol