1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wait To Start Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Wait To Start Light

[quote author=Workin Man link=board=9;threadid=6014;start=0#61266 date=1036335737]
I am incredibly embarassed to admit this, but that was the seatbelt buzzer. Never really thought about it, but I do start the truck before putting on the belt. With mine the door buzzer keeps going as long as the keys are in and the door open. Sorry about the bad info on the WTS buzzer. Anyone have any thoughts on why the light only comes on while cranking?
[/quote]

Don't be embarassed at all!!! Hey, unless you can talk to someone else about it, how do you learn right??

The WTS lite is only on when the temp is below the 40° Mark I believe ( I have the chart for the temps..I just can't find it. :-[ ) This is only to keep you from cranking before the preheaters are warmed.. After that the lite should not cycle with the system even though it is still active.

If the lite is flashing while running then that is another list of possible problems..

J-eh
Old 11-04-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Redleg<br><br>The heater cycling thing is supposed to reduce white smoke on cold starts, glow plug equipped engines do the same thing. Not sure if glow plugs reduce engine life as compared to the preheater or not. My dad has a Cummins in his gravel truck (89 International), not sure on the exact engine, but it does not have either setup.<br><br> Temps have been in the mid to low 30's in the mornings lately, but no light. The heaters are working for the after start thing ( can see the headlights dim when it cuts in), but not sure if they are working for the pre-heat. Don't <br>usually wait anyway, just stick in the key and crank it. Starts in less than 1 second. I let it warm up for a couple minutes before driving ( after the headlights stop dimming). Incidentally the motor has around 150,000 miles on it.<br>
Old 11-04-2002, 11:07 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

The manifold heater(s) are controlled by a temp sensor in the intake manifold. They trigger the heater(s) when the intake air ambient temps are 59*F or colder. The duration of heater on/heater off cycle is governed by the incoming air temps as well. The colder it is the more you'll see the alternator gauge diving, and the longer it will stay down.
I'll attach a pic for the chart/cycle.

Bob.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the chart I was lookin for..<br><br>Thanks Bush<br><br>J-eh
Old 11-05-2002, 05:39 PM

Bushy<br><br>Based on the chart it seems that the post start-heating is controlled by the same air temp sensor. Since I know that the post start-heater is working, it should be safe to assume that the pre-heater is working. Seems to be only the light doesn't work properly. I will check it out this weekend to make sure that the preheater is coming on ( will use a voltmeter on the battery and see if the voltage drops), just to be sure.<br><br>Thanks everyone<br><br>