24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

wait to start light flashing, no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait to start light flashing, no start

Hi, hoping someone can offer some suggestions. 99 2500, Cummins, automatic, approx 170,000 miles. The wait to start light gives a steady flashing. Truck does not start. The problem started will out on an errand, light flashing at start, ran poor, brakes seem to stick, then everything seemed fine.

Truck ran fine all the way home. But when leaving again a few minutes later, the motor died and will not restart. Just the continual flashing of the wait to start light. Have spent 4 or 5 hours searching and haven't seen quite the same problem, to the severity of a no start issue.

Well one TSB did catch my attention, regarding newer/replacement emc's. " Mopar is phasing out pre-programmed Cummins Diesel Engine Control Modules (ECM). New modules will no longer be preprogrammed when received from Mopar. Replacement of future ECM's will require programming utilizing the DRBIII and TechCONNECT. 1998 1/2 - 2002 modules will cause the "Wait to Start" light to flash, indicating the module has not been programmed." I had to replace the ecm in Dec of 02, about 1,500 miles over the warranty of course. I do not know enough to know what this means in my situation. The truck has been running fine since the new one was put in several years back.

Something else very odd, the truck only has "issues" when the girl friend drives it. Have replaced the altenator twice, the batteries twice, the ecm, abs sensor, flywheel sensor. Developed an overheating problem while 300 miles from home when she was with me. lol, she is getting very spooked about this.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Am going in to my shop in the morning to get my manuels and some routine tools, not much of a mechanic, but I feel better if I at least try.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never read about a flashing Wait to Start light, looks like you nailed it with that TSB. I'm guessing a trip to the dealer is the next step.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Scan run

Brother in law stopped by and ran a scan on it. No OBD was the results of the scan. He said that was a first and had nothing to add.

Looks like a tow may be in order for the shop.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM

I don't know if this will help or not, but the "wait to start" light flashes steadily on mine when the superchips is in the process of reprogramming it, so it sounds like the ecm program is the right track.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:23 PM

Man, that sucks. Is there a warranty on the ECM? If there isn't I would look into getting a aftermarket one which I have heard are great. If you are going to throw away some money you might as well get some more power also. This is jsut my thoughts though.