HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Hard Start, Wait to start light goes out too soon (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard Start, Wait to start light goes out too soon (long)

So this morning my truck decided to start acting weird, it started really hard, cranked for maybe 10 secs. then cycled key, and cranked again and it started after 5 or so more seconds. Didnt think much of it as it was fairly cold (32 F) at lunch then it did the same thing, engine had cooled off so that was maybe explainable but then about 45 minutes later it acted the same way when I tried to start it, I now have noticed the Wait to Start lite only comes on with all the other lights when you cycle the key on then goes out. I checked all the fuses under the hood and can only find fuel-heater fuses and 1 relay, so Im kinda wondering what you all might think is going on here? I scanned it for codes and it was all clear, I will note that I have been low on fuel all day and when I pulled into the gas station when I stopped at the pump the truck just died on me, I DID NOT lose fuel pressure though, so that really worries me. After some more testing I found if the truck sits for more than say 20 minutes it becomes hard to start, What gives?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The grid heaters stay on dependant of the intake temp. If the truck has not cooled off, they will not come on for very long. If the cold has sat all night and it is 30 degrees out, they should stay on for awhile. But they wont if you plug it in, because the intake temp will be warmer than outside temp.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like it could be a couple of things. First, it could be a bad relay for the grid heater, but that wouldn't explain the hard starting after 20 min. If the engine was warm it should have started right up. You can check the voltage on the relay to make sure that it is working. The other thing is a possible air leak in the fuel line allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Now today it started just fine except this morning, I put some powerservice in last night before bed after getting about 1/4 tank of fuel, then the rest of the day today it started fine, and the wait to start light is functioning ok, so for now i guess i will leave it alone
Old 01-11-2007, 11:23 AM

Well its doing it again today, Im begining to wonder if its not somehow ties to my fuel leak, im not sure if my fuel filter bowl is leaking or if an injector line is leaking somewhere, but it always builds fuel pressure quickly, any ideas, I noticed that if it does start "normally" it revs up to 800 then slows down for about 1/2 second then picks up to 800, like it has some air in the system or something??? any ideas
Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Ok, the wait to start light has to be whats going on, it doesnt stay on, only comes on with the other start up lights then goes right out, even when the engine is cold. Could the relay cause this? Bad grid heater? Whats the relay called on the fuse panel, I can only find a fuel-heater relay, not one for the grid heater, how would it be labeled?