1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

turbo housing leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
turbo housing leak

Well I was under the truck and found a stream of oil (dry) coming from the exhaust side of the turbo so My guess is the turbo is about to quit, I saw this some time ago and noticed lower boost #'s lately. I don't want it to start leaking inside and feed itself until it blows up so how hard is it to rebuild one of this? This is a 89 CTD with a 5spd behind it turbo setup I don't know what size is the housing but maybe that doesn't matter when rebuilding the guts. Can the home mechanic do this or is something better done by a shop?

Thank You.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Ok I read the sticky for the HX35, seems pretty straight forward. Where is a good place to get this kits, I see the one on the sticky just asking in case there is a better option.

Thank You.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 AM

Found this one, is this the turbo I have? I will check the sticker on it but I'm not really sure if it is the factory turbo, the truck has a banks IC and intake horn I read somewhere this kits also came with an upgrade or different turbo, how do I tell the difference?

Thank You.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 AM

75 views and not a single post? come on guys, You're switching turbos left and right this got to be an easy one.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The turbo gurus must all be plowing snow; there are multi threads on guys pounding them apart. I've never had to touch mine but will if necessary. Do a search on "turbo rebuild" if no one keeps chiming in.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let me ask you this, do you idle a lot? we see this "turbo slobber" quite a bit on our cats that idle a lot. most of the time it is not oil at all but unburned fuel mixed with soot leaking past your gasket. the lower boost numbers may be due to the gasket leaking--worth looking into. i would diagnose the problem before just going into a turbo rebuild unless you just want to do it and this is the excuse.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by pmpislander
let me ask you this, do you idle a lot? we see this "turbo slobber" quite a bit on our cats that idle a lot. most of the time it is not oil at all but unburned fuel mixed with soot leaking past your gasket. the lower boost numbers may be due to the gasket leaking--worth looking into. i would diagnose the problem before just going into a turbo rebuild unless you just want to do it and this is the excuse.
Well that is a very good question and You nailed it I do idle a lot some times, trucks only works so when I don't use it for a few weeks I will start the engine and let it run up to temp (30min or whatever time it takes to get there), rev it a few times and idle a minute then turn off and leave the batteries charging.
The stain this time was a little wet and it really looks like oil plus is coming from the housing right where the impeller is, where the V clamp connects the housing and the exhaust pipe.
If the turbo is fine -which btw a year ago I pulled the compressor housing and tried to move the shaft a little bit and felt ok to Me- I rather leave it alone, but then again I don't want it to get worst and one day have a runaway.

Thank You.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Shouldn't matter on idling. Turbo should not leak seal are bad in side. There isn't much to rebuilding the turbo. Only thing is ballancing the shaft would be the hard part. but it can be done.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Falcon1
Shouldn't matter on idling. Turbo should not leak seal are bad in side. There isn't much to rebuilding the turbo. Only thing is ballancing the shaft would be the hard part. but it can be done.
That is the part that lost Me in the sticky, talks about marking the shaft and wheel I assume bc they were balanced previously, but I never had one apart in front of Me, how do I balance it then?

Thank You.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Exekiel69
That is the part that lost Me in the sticky, talks about marking the shaft and wheel I assume bc they were balanced previously, but I never had one apart in front of Me, how do I balance it then?

Thank You.
I have heard some ballance them some don't. I have never done it. I sent mine out to get rebuilt when I had the 35/40 hybrid built.

Greg
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM

I could well be wrong, but I though there was only one type of failure you needed to balance the shaft because of... only I can't remember what that failure is! Otherwise, to the best of my knowledge rebuilding a turbo is basically replacing bearings/O-rings and gaskets. Which I've done one of, and it took me an hour to do, so it's pretty darned easy. If a goat like me can do it, anyone can.