1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Throttle indexing help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle indexing help!

Took apart pump to do a reseal, and I did mark the position of the throttle shaft and put it back together that way. Truck will start and runaway, Ive tried playing with fuel screw and indexing the throttle shaft in many positions and still cannot get it to work correctly. Took the top off to make sure the shaft isnt 180 degrees out (it wasnt). I am getting very frustrated. Is there something inside the pump I could have put together incorrectly that would make it runaway? I did get it to idle and rev in one position, but the truck has no power, which still makes me think its a throttle indexing issue. Any idea? Also I know the pump timing could be off 180 but i didnt mark it. Would it even run if it was 180 degrees out?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the inside of the ve pumps but when I re-indexed my throttle on my ve all I did was put counter clockwise pressure on the throttle shaft until I felt the resistance of the spring and put parts back together. Had to lower idle a little but other than that it worked great.. Sorry if that doesn't help at all
Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 PM

How far did you take the pump apart? Did you remove the distributor head from the rear of the pump?

I just went through a similar experience and it turned out I didn't get the throttle lever set into the control collar properly, and the collar was sitting wide open. You may be able to spot it with just the pump top off, but I wound up removing my pump to correct it. All in all, I installed and removed my pump 4 times before I got it right.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by CTDonlykitty
Took apart pump to do a reseal, and I did mark the position of the throttle shaft and put it back together that way. Truck will start and runaway, Ive tried playing with fuel screw and indexing the throttle shaft in many positions and still cannot get it to work correctly. Took the top off to make sure the shaft isnt 180 degrees out (it wasnt). I am getting very frustrated. Is there something inside the pump I could have put together incorrectly that would make it runaway? I did get it to idle and rev in one position, but the truck has no power, which still makes me think its a throttle indexing issue. Any idea? Also I know the pump timing could be off 180 but i didnt mark it. Would it even run if it was 180 degrees out?
Back the fuel screw all the way out then slowly turn it i in until the truck cranks and idles. Then see where you are at with it trying to run away. Some pumps don't take much to be turned to run away while other pumps dont have fuel screws long enough to make them run away.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:52 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-12Smoke
Back the fuel screw all the way out then slowly turn it i in until the truck cranks and idles. Then see where you are at with it trying to run away. Some pumps don't take much to be turned to run away while other pumps dont have fuel screws long enough to make them run away.
Do this and set the index to two. Two is the default.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 PM

Okay, index is on 2 for sure. I took the pump top off to make sure the throttle shaft wasnt backwards (it wasnt). Power screw is set to where the truck wont runaway and has a decent idle.
It take a couple cranks to start and when it does it runs low for a split second then smooths out. I cant do over 50 and the throttle does nothing once you press it past 1/3 of the way. I am getting full throttle travel, put on a new filter, no leaks I can see, new fuel lines within the last year, screen in the return banjo is clear. Truck will rev up all the way in neutral, but is gutless and wont rev in gear. When the pump came apart it was splined on 1, but I had done a 3200 spring previously. And yes I had the pump torn apart completely. I tried indexing and power screwing for hours and end and can only get it to run this way (gutless no rev), runaway upon start or no start. Is there anything I could have put together wrong inside that would give me these symptoms? Please help lol I need the truck bad and I am at wits end! Thanks guys!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by hmknight
How far did you take the pump apart? Did you remove the distributor head from the rear of the pump?

I just went through a similar experience and it turned out I didn't get the throttle lever set into the control collar properly, and the collar was sitting wide open. You may be able to spot it with just the pump top off, but I wound up removing my pump to correct it. All in all, I installed and removed my pump 4 times before I got it right.
by all means checkout what this guy is saying i had the same problem years ago and it destroyed the pump. That is why you have no throttle the fuel collar is not moving with the linkage.It is just floating in there.Do you remember the collar with the ball socket on top.Thats where the linkage sits into it

Last edited by sshort; 05-30-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: adding more