1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Spoke with HTT & Still have question on Turbo Upgrade & Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoke with HTT & Still have question on Turbo Upgrade & Injectors

Been a member here for about a month & still learning, but have some questions that are probably on the dumb side but here goes. I use my ride mostly for pulling. I have a WH1C turbo with I am guessing an 18 housing. I have made some small adjustments on the pump, but nothing too drastic because I have yet to install my pyrometer. Side note - that will happen before any turbo or injector upgrade. I understand that their upgrade for my turbo is only for the cold side. Which "stage" should I go with? Would I benefit from a smaller exhaust housing for quicker spoolup, or will that hurt my over pulling? I realize the smaller the housing, the harder off the line you get, but what will I loose in pulling with that? I am also looking at an injector upgrade. From reasearch, it looks like the 190's are the best for pulling, but I am too new to the game to have a good understanding of what would be best & why. The obvious concern with any upgrade when pulling would be the EGT's, so I want to be sensitive to that. Hopefully one day I can be the one answering the questions instead of asking them! As always, thanks for everyones responses.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 AM

For pulling I would go with a 14 cm or a 16cm exaust housing if you upgrade to 190's, also I would go with a 4" exaust to help with EGT's (move more air). Make sure you have air comming in to the cold side also (you will need to figure on wich one to use because that's another debate) BHAF or a K&N type of filter system will help. Others will chime in to help.

Greg
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Falcon said. I'd go either with the Stage III or Stage IV; they're both 60mm wheels, but the Stage IV flows around 10% more because of its six-blade design. You could probably even stick with your 18cm housing; you won't notice much difference going to a 16. I think an intake, exhaust, and compressor upgrade should easily cool 190's.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 AM

OK, kinda the same question, i have a 16 cm housing, a pacbrake w/60 lb springs, 4" exhaust from downpipe back, bhaf, pump turned up some, timing advanced 1/8". i intend to get the htt stage III kit. now the ?, i have a set of pod's i purchased when piers ran a sale. i have always intended to use them in this truck. our camper (29 foot tag) and all the gear puts me at about 8500 plus the truck. should i install the pod's or get a set of 190's. i can always put the pod's in the wifes truck (i will be set up for accelleration only, so towing will not be an issue), or do ya'll think i can control egt's with the combo in the d350?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:09 AM

Pulling or towing?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
Been a member here for about a month & still learning, but have some questions that are probably on the dumb side but here goes. I use my ride mostly for pulling. I have a WH1C turbo with I am guessing an 18 housing. I have made some small adjustments on the pump, but nothing too drastic because I have yet to install my pyrometer. Side note - that will happen before any turbo or injector upgrade. I understand that their upgrade for my turbo is only for the cold side. Which "stage" should I go with? Would I benefit from a smaller exhaust housing for quicker spoolup, or will that hurt my over pulling? I realize the smaller the housing, the harder off the line you get, but what will I loose in pulling with that? I am also looking at an injector upgrade. From reasearch, it looks like the 190's are the best for pulling, but I am too new to the game to have a good understanding of what would be best & why. The obvious concern with any upgrade when pulling would be the EGT's, so I want to be sensitive to that. Hopefully one day I can be the one answering the questions instead of asking them! As always, thanks for everyones responses.
Hi Jeff,
Is your truck a 5-speed or an automatic? If it's an auto, sticking with your present housing (16 or 18) would be fine. If you have a manual tranny, I would suggest the 12cm wastegated housing (which your WH1C should have come with originally, FWIW) The quicker spool provided by the 12 far outweighs the restrictive top-end, especially when trying to keep 12-15k moving between 2nd and 3rd gear As for which HTT cold side to look at, this again is somewhat dependant on your tranny. As far as price, go as big as your budget will allow..that's what I did, but remember there's a compromise with everything. That big 60mm wheel is going to slow your spool somewhat. If I were in your shoes with an automatic, I'd go stage III/16(18). If I was running a 5-speed and had to worry about getting a bunch of weight moving w/out sending the pyro through the roof, I'd go stage II/12cm in a heartbeat. Having said all that, I yank 10-12k around with my rig every now and again and don't run into problems...and I'm DEFINITELY not set up for towing FWIW, stock non-intercooled injectors are pretty close to 190's. The biggest influence on EGT's is your right foot. I can hit 1400 running up through the gears empty on flat ground, but I pulled my 10k 5ver up an 8% grade in 4th running 900....
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by G1625S
Hi Jeff,
Is your truck a 5-speed or an automatic? If it's an auto, sticking with your present housing (16 or 18) would be fine. If you have a manual tranny, I would suggest the 12cm wastegated housing (which your WH1C should have come with originally, FWIW) The quicker spool provided by the 12 far outweighs the restrictive top-end, especially when trying to keep 12-15k moving between 2nd and 3rd gear As for which HTT cold side to look at, this again is somewhat dependant on your tranny. As far as price, go as big as your budget will allow..that's what I did, but remember there's a compromise with everything. That big 60mm wheel is going to slow your spool somewhat. If I were in your shoes with an automatic, I'd go stage III/16(18). If I was running a 5-speed and had to worry about getting a bunch of weight moving w/out sending the pyro through the roof, I'd go stage II/12cm in a heartbeat. Having said all that, I yank 10-12k around with my rig every now and again and don't run into problems...and I'm DEFINITELY not set up for towing FWIW, stock non-intercooled injectors are pretty close to 190's. The biggest influence on EGT's is your right foot. I can hit 1400 running up through the gears empty on flat ground, but I pulled my 10k 5ver up an 8% grade in 4th running 900....
Maybe i'm still not getting it?
with the same rpm,...of the turbo, the stage III would flow more air then the stage II? right
and if that's right then i would thing that the faster spooling ex housing (12) should go with the bigger compressor stageIII/12 stageII/16(18)

What am i missing here
Old 07-11-2006, 11:35 AM

Hi Jeff,
Its a 5 spd. Price is not as big a factor since I dont have much $$ in the truck. I just want something that pulls like a train. Right now it does OK, I just feel it has alot more potential.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flashgordon
Maybe i'm still not getting it?
with the same rpm,...of the turbo, the stage III would flow more air then the stage II? right
and if that's right then i would thing that the faster spooling ex housing (12) should go with the bigger compressor stageIII/12 stageII/16(18)

What am i missing here
Yes, the stage III will flow more air at a given RPM...but it's gonna take more fuel to spin that heavier wheel up to that RPM, which will result in more lag and more heat down low...which is exactly what's NOT needed in a tow truck. Plus, with 10k in tow, I wouldn't want the sudden torque rise that I have now when my turbo lights...I'd rather have less power that comes on smoother...which, admittedly, can be tuned at the pump, to a certain extent. The bottom line is that the stage III will support more power, but will the rest of the driveline also support it over the long (heavy) haul? Bear in mind this is all just my opinion based on how my truck reacted to the change...there's probably lots of folks happily towing with the stage III. With a similar truck to goodolboy, I'd run the WH1C with a stage II and a 12cm housing, then tune the pump to make the most power for the available air....prolly looking at 200/525 at the rear wheels which is enough to get just about any load going without being too hard on the rest of the driveline.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:07 PM

good thread, great info.
Posting to subscribe.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:21 PM

Yes, the stage III will flow more air at a given RPM...but it's gonna take more fuel to spin that heavier wheel up to that RPM, which will result in more lag and more heat down low...which is exactly what's NOT needed in a tow truck. Plus, with 10k in tow, I wouldn't want the sudden torque rise that I have now when my turbo lights...I'd rather have less power that comes on smoother...which, admittedly, can be tuned at the pump, to a certain extent. The bottom line is that the stage III will support more power, but will the rest of the driveline also support it over the long (heavy) haul? Bear in mind this is all just my opinion based on how my truck reacted to the change...there's probably lots of folks happily towing with the stage III. With a similar truck to goodolboy, I'd run the WH1C with a stage II and a 12cm housing, then tune the pump to make the most power for the available air....prolly looking at 200/525 at the rear wheels which is enough to get just about any load going without being too hard on the rest of the driveline.

Thanks for the clearification Just had my hart set on a stage III.....evanualy! I now that's what you rec.w/16.Your theary just didn't mix with mine. when i add the truck to the hole plan, it make a lot more sence
Old 07-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That '92 ought to have a 21 cm turbine housing. Anything else will be an improvement.
If you plan to change injectors, go straight to the Stage III/16 combo.

Daryl, I would suggest not using the POD's in a tow rig.