2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Cracked Dash - Spoke to Chrysler Claims Rep & Manager

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Dash - Spoke to Chrysler Claims Rep & Manager

I went pretty high up with Chrysler recently with a proposed solution to keep me as a satisfied customer. My truck is my 8th Chrysler vehicle I have owned and last. I said I could get the aftermarket dash for $300 and if they split the cost of the dash that I would be happy. I would pay to paint it and install it myself. For $150 they flat out told me to go to hell in a nutshell. I can't believe for such a small sum they would not make an exception and make me satisfied. If they had simply cut me a check, I would buy another Ram after this one, now I will be getting a Duramax. What a poor business decision on their part. I will also be letting everyone know how they treat their customers. I went above the claim rep in charge of making the decision and spoke with a manager, he said the same thing and refused to let me speak to anyone else. I guess they are too busy smoking pot on break and spending tax payer money on union pensions and bailouts. No wonder Chrysler is bankrupt - they make a crap product and treat their customers like crap. I hope they fail.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:59 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

It's not your $150 check they are worried about, it's the 15000 guys who would line up after you got yours they are worried about. I just noticed mine is starting to crack.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:24 AM

just wondering do you think Ford, or chevy would do the same on a dash that is 9 years old ?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
just wondering do you think Ford, or chevy would do the same on a dash that is 9 years old ?
If it was one or two that cracked after that period of time,.... probably not.
But danged near EVERY dash in those model years?.......
Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know, maybe it's just the luck of the draw, but the only 2nd gens with cracked dashes I've seen are on here. None of the ones I've ever been in personally had a cracked dash.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 AM

My 98.5 have the original dash, looks mint. When I was shopping for a 2nd Gen truck I don't think I saw or heard of one with a cracked dash,
Old 10-14-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If the dash hasn't cracked we'll the truck has sat in a garage or showroom the entire time. Every single Dodge I've come across those year models, doesn't matter 1500, 2500 or 3500...all cracked to he!! And any dash cover you buy is going make even more noise and irritate the crap out of you sooner or later....just the facts
Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

Mine started with 1 little crack. It now has multiple cracks. I looked at a 12V where the entire top of the dash was off. **** poor quality. There is absolutely no excuse to build and sell crap like this. Too bad because we need manufacturing but Dodge should have been let die. It will come if they don't straighten up.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Although I hate that GM was bailed out by taxpayers, their customer service is great. You should see what they have done for my mom who has had numerous GM products. They have bent over backwards to make sure she was happy outside of her warranty and on 2 occasions. I would expect the same as an owner of 8 Chrysler vehicles. All I asked for was $150 on a $49,000 truck bought in 2000. - What is that today $60k?

I agree about the other 150,000 people lining up, but no one would know other than a handful.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 AM

i've got an 02 & it didn't have any cracks in the dash until about 6 months ago when i put some Vinylex on it for the first time......I think putting protectant on them has something to do with them cracking.....
Old 10-14-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
From my view, it's the sun that kills them.

I got my truck in March of 2000, it was garaged at night and parked in a parking garage during the day while I was at work. Never had any trouble with cracking of the dash or the bezel on the face. In 2007, I moved to a place where I couldn't park in the garage so the truck sat outside all day. Within six months, the dash had developed a crack and the bezel started to get brittle enough that you had to be very careful when removing it.

I've got friends with similar year model trucks and they had cracks or big holes in the dash within a year or two of purchase. The biggest difference was that they were outside in the sun since the day they were purchased.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:01 PM

my truck is going on 9 years old and approaching 200k and no crack. I have lived all over the US due to the Military in different climates. the truck has never been garaged, and I only use a wet clotch to clean it. I do remember buying my, 01, 02, 04 cummins. and 2006 magnum I remember when I purchased them somewhere along the trip of buying a new vehicle it was said to not use any protectant or cleaner on the dash or console area? so who knows if there is truth to that or not. the desert sun or the humidity in the south never cracked my dash. and LMC truck has new dashes for around 150 if i remember right. i guess the 300$ number was from the dealership
Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
If the dash hasn't cracked we'll the truck has sat in a garage or showroom the entire time. Every single Dodge I've come across those year models, doesn't matter 1500, 2500 or 3500...all cracked to he!! And any dash cover you buy is going make even more noise and irritate the crap out of you sooner or later....just the facts
my 2 trucks and the 9 dodge rams next door, only 1 has a cracked dash its a 99. a guy a few houses down has a 99 his is cracked and all sit out side
Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM

I have a 97 Ram gasser and my 01 2500 BOTH with SEVERELY cracked dashes!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exactly! Domestic car dealers don't give a crap about customer, that's why Toyota is so popular. It has sticky throttle, problems with steering, and ya it kills people but they have better customer support than domestics do. That's why people keep on buying from them.

Quick Reply: Cracked Dash - Spoke to Chrysler Claims Rep & Manager