1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Seat Belt question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
From what I read, and their response seems to confirm this, that there are two main types of locking mechanisms....centrifugal, and pendulum. It seems that our is pendulum and will /should not lock up unless the vehicle is in a collision and the force exerted on the mechanism causes the pendulum to move beyond set tolerances and therefore lock up the belt.
So, yours doesn't lock up when pulled fast ?

Several guy here said that theirs does. I guess I'm just going nuts, and think something has been happening for the last 10 years, but actually hasn't been.

Oh well.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Tman, I just went down the basement and tugged on 4 different front seat belt assemblies from 1992 W250 trucks one of which was in a significant front end collision. If I pulled the belt out fast they locked within about 8 inches. If I pulled slowly they still tended to lock within a foot regardless of orientation of the reel. Oddly enough, if I held the belt and dropped the reel assembly they would fall several feet. This was pretty consistent for all four belts. The belts from the accident truck seemed to lock a bit more quickly and didn't release as readily. Hope this helps.

PS: My rig won't be road worthy any time in the foreseeable future so I can send you a belt or two for comparison if you want. Just get them back to me at Carlisle next year.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Imagine a pendulum that is constrained such that it can swing only one direction (forward, toward the front of the truck in this case). When the pendulum swings forward, it locks the belt. When you first pull the belt forward, fast or slow, it is accelerating and the pendulum doesn't move forward and lock the belt. When the forward pull decelerates, the pendulum swings forward and locks the belt, which apparently occurs 8+ inches out. Not sure if the pendulum swings only one direction, just my idea to save space.

Last edited by hfletcher; 09-15-2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added which occurs 8+ inches out
Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
Tman, I just went down the basement and tugged on 4 different front seat belt assemblies from 1992 W250 trucks one of which was in a significant front end collision. If I pulled the belt out fast they locked within about 8 inches. If I pulled slowly they still tended to lock within a foot regardless of orientation of the reel. Oddly enough, if I held the belt and dropped the reel assembly they would fall several feet. This was pretty consistent for all four belts. The belts from the accident truck seemed to lock a bit more quickly and didn't release as readily. Hope this helps.

PS: My rig won't be road worthy any time in the foreseeable future so I can send you a belt or two for comparison if you want. Just get them back to me at Carlisle next year.
Thanks Tim..

After watching a couple videos of how they work, and what his explanation as to why I had experienced the locking, I guess I'll accept what they say as the end result. I can upgrade to the newer style, should I want to, but at this point, I'm tired of the whole process and most likely just put it back in and wing it.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
Does that mean I should not dig you up a spare belt to send down to you over the weekend like we discussed a couple of nights ago.
I have had no time the past two days as I have been super busy prepping for concrete day on Mon. if the weather in decent. The pre winter push is on around here.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
No problem. Once you get the belt reinstalled you should make a couple of hard stops to make sure it is functioning properly in an emergency situation. Wouldn't want ya to smack yer pretty face off the steering wheel or windshield!
Old 09-16-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Does that mean I should not dig you up a spare belt to send down to you over the weekend like we discussed a couple of nights ago.
I have had no time the past two days as I have been super busy prepping for concrete day on Mon. if the weather in decent. The pre winter push is on around here.
Ollie,

Don't worry about anything here. Get that work done up there !!!

lol

Seriously, no sweat brother.... other than you busting your ....... hiney up there.
The following users liked this post:
oliver foster (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
T-man I did have time to check the action on my seat belt in the '85 crew cab yesterday while filling up the tank.
I could pull the drivers seat belt quickly forward I got no lock up on it.
I will check more when I think of it and report back...
Getting back to work.....CHECK!