1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st gen suspension/steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen suspension/steering

So I didn't see any of the "leaf spring" related posts thay looked relevant or recent enough to post this in. I've had my 93 w250 for about a week and a half now. I'm still trying to inspect it all over to find out what needs to be replace and what can go a little longer without needing to be immediately prioritized.

That being said, I know nothing about leaf springs except the 2 videos I watched on YouTube last night. I have no idea what they should look like, how to look for the right replacement if needed etc.

I know these trucks are a rougher ride than newer ones but i dont really know what "expected" feels like because its my first one.

I suspect steering or suspension issues. because of a few signs.
1, when braking firmly the front end feels like its "hopping" but not when light breaking or trans braking.

2, in 4wd turning right seems fine, butbturning left seems to make my driver's sode wheel feel like im trying to drive it with a boot attached to it.

3, my front leaf springs look flat on the passenger side, and ever so slightly frowning on the drivers side.

I plan on towing and hauling with this truck as well as occasionally driving it to work and to the lake with my kayak/fishing gear. I am trying to create a list of prioritized parts based on safety items first, wear and tear of the rest of the vehicle 2nd, and efficiency third. I'm posting photos of my front leafs from over the front wheels below and hoping for some education. I will gladly post photos of any other components from any required angles that anyone more experienced would like to see to help me get things figured out. As a side question, do all these 12 valves stutter and take up to 3 seconds or so to shutdown when turning off the ignition

Old 04-16-2024, 11:34 AM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
Check for warped rotors. You may have a front axle shaft ujoint on its way out. Try greasing the ujoints. Also grease every steering and balljoint you can find a nipple for.

The drivers side of these trucks is heavier, and usually what sags. My approaches would be new springs, re-arch (skeptical of re-sag) or put an extra leaf into the pack (a long one) to bolster up the main. This last idea is probably the hardest riding though!

These trucks do ride rough. I put most of my miles on a 2wd for this reason.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:54 AM

Are these springs suppose to look "flat" like in the above photos? As far as the ride quality, maybe I've just driven **** vehicles too long, this thing sicls over speed bumps and unavoidable pot holes, but with the captains seems in it, it's far from what I'm used to considering "rough" my deere, and my sportster are rougher than this truck.

My front end does sag about an inch lower on the drivers side and 3 to 3.5" lower than the rear. If I replace the springs, with factory replacements, with the extra leaf on the drivers side, and replace the shocks with either bilstien 5xxx shocks pr some sort of fox woth reservoirs, can I expect the front end to level out? Dp I need to specifically look for a leveling kit to make up the 3 inches? If a leveling kit is required to make up 3 inches, do I need to find special pitman arms(I think that's the correct part name) so that I can steer without issues?
Old 04-16-2024, 12:05 PM

Im sure the front image is probably hard to see the driver side sag, but its there.

My rear leafs have the weirdest setup I've ever seen in leafs. I don't even know what to make of it.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:56 PM

Not sure if I'm lifted or not, but center of wheel hub to bottom edge of fender/wheel wells are front roughly 22" and rear roughly 25"
Old 04-16-2024, 04:50 PM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
The suspension looks factory..
The rear has the added factory camper spring package. The design is it only stiffens up the ride when you load it down a couple of inches with a load.

The driver side front spring always sags on the 4x4 Dodge trucks '72-'93 more than the passengers side.
That side has all the steering components, battery, driver and fuel tank always over it.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:54 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Your front springs look worn and are sagging, these trucks never did have a large arch to the front springs. I went with a set of softride springs from these guys many years ago...different design now to what I got but the springs I put in definitely softened the ride!

https://customsuspension.com/product...em-height-pair

Your issue with turning and feeling like it's binding could be one of the front 4wd axle shaft U-joints is starting to seize up.

The rear suspension is just the HD rear springs with an OEM overload spring attached to the top, the backs of the these 1st Gen's do tend to sit slightly higher than the fronts.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:13 PM

Any chance someone with the same setup suspension setup I have, but in a known good condition can give me a measurement from center hub to fender so I can tell if the truck has been lifted in any way, or is it possible for you guys to tell that by my photos alone? I ask because I would like to level the truck out but don't know anything about how to make sire I get the right suspension parts to e sure it's done right without changing any critical driveline angles
Old 04-16-2024, 05:16 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Your springs do appear to be OEM...the wrap around spring clamps were almost always used on OEM applications, and any aftermarket springs tend to have a bolt on U-clamp style spring clamp.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:27 PM

I would bet you have stock front leaf springs.
If you want to lift the front end a bit to level it. I would look at some SkyJacker 1 or 2 inch leaf springs for the front end. Make sure to get the springs for the Cummins W-250.
Either should give you a mild lift in the front, improved ride and level things out without needing to change up anything in the rear.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:46 PM

I'm looking at the 2.5 inch lift kits offered by skyjacker, do you know if anyone offers one with fox 2 shocks? I'm only curious so I don't have to buy a kit with shocks and then have to replace the brand new shocks with fox 2's right away? ( I was planning on upgrading to fox 2 shocks front and rear)

Also, i have no issues with the heavy duty spring setup i ha e in the rear, can any of you reccomend a good brand to replace them with that has the same style setup?

Would you guys recommend I upgrade my front spring hanger(s) and shackles to something like these below before getting the 2 inch kit installed?

https://archivegarage.com/products/1...350-ramcharger

https://hogbackfab.com/products/72-9...iraEiWxbKrD1VA
Old 04-16-2024, 07:23 PM

Look at Skyjackers level kits. I know you can buy just the 2 springs in you want. You can go to their website.
I run ProComp ES 3000 shocks on the last couple of Cummins trucks I put together.

I usually add a slightly longer rear shackle on the front spring. You can make them yourself just add 1/2 an inch more between the bolts. Places like FSS sell them as well.

If you do not have cracked / broken leaf spring hangers in the front of the front springs already I would skip the aftermarket hangers.
The following users liked this post:
Oran (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 07:48 PM

If I where doing what you sound like you want to do. I would order a pair of D100CS or a pair of D200CS from Skyjacker.
The D200CS are supposed to be the 2 inch over stock lift springs. The D100CS are 1 inch over, roughly. The springs are roughly $240 a piece.
With your old springs springs that are sagging, expect to get more than 1 or 2 inch when you swap out your springs.