1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

pyrometer help... needle moving erracticlly

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had troubles with that same ground before too. If you back the screw out it still has paint underneath it. If you polish the area of contact to bare metal and replace the wire with a 10ga minimum your toubles should be clear. Gounds are horifying to find. I hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by kc8ksg
Mine has been doing that since I got it, I have tried everything I could think of and it didn't help. I did find my problem though, it is a bad connection in the gauge itself. It started with me smacking the gauge and the needle flicking then I got to messing with the wires in the back and it help then it got to the point where I figured out if I stuck my finger in the back of the guage and pressed on a certain wire connection it fixed it. Now I don't know what wire it is to be exact since I just feel around with my pinky while driving but I know if I wiggle the wire and press on where it connects inside the back of the gauge it fixes it. I figure if I just take the guage apart and solder the wire it should be okay, but it's been two years and I still haven't gotten around to it! This probably would be harder to do for some guys depending on where your gauges are mounted and what they're mounted in, but hopefully it gives you a place to start. I have to say that the problems I have had with my autometer gauges in my 1st gen and for what they cost, I may look into another brand when getting gauges for my 01.

Chris
Did you ever get your pyro fixed? Mine has the exact same symptom as yours. I took the gauge out of it's holder and if I wiggle the probe wire on the back of the gauge it jumps. I took the probe wire loose and checked it with an ohmmeter and a voltmeter and it's solid continuity. I put it back together but tapping the meter itself starts it jumping. I bought mine over 10 years ago but it has been in service only a few months because the truck has been sitting in the shop. It's out of warranty of course.

Edwin