1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pusher Electric Fans on a 92 Intercooled Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Installed Pusher Electric Fans on a 92 Intercooled Cummins

Decided to put some fans on the front of the condenser. Idk if anyone has done this yet. I found Jim's thread for his non intercooled (aka lots of room) setup; but haven't seen an intercooled setup. This setup required only minor modification to the bottom tabs on the top two grille inserts, where I cut them off. I used two 10" slim fans from mishimoto that are rated for 950 cfm each. To start, take the grille off; though be gentle with it since they don't make em anymore with DODGE lettering. Also I ran all my wiring above the fans, but it might look better to run it below where it will be completely out of site.

After I got the grill off, here you can see the two bottom tabs I cut off on the top grill inserts. You will also have to cut the corresponding grill screw holes that go to those two tabs.

These fans are made as either a pusher or a puller, and they come set up as a puller. In order to make them a pusher, you take the blade off, flip it around, and reverse the wiring. Black is now positive and blue goes to ground.

Here is the relay I used, I mounted it on the back of the headlight screw. I bought the fan relay off amazon and came with instructions on how to wire it. Orange goes to the positive side of fan, red to battery, yellow to a switch in the cab, green to the ac override, and of course black to ground.

Here I found my ac clutch wires bare and almost broken in half (surprised they weren't touching and shorting out). So I decided to splice in my green ac override wire here, which is spliced into the positive side. Mine was the brown wire going to the ac clutch.

Right now the grille is holding the fans in place snuggly to where they won't move nor damage the ac condenser fins. I haven't decided if I want to put brackets in there or use the fan kit that fastens the fans to the radiator, through the fins. The condenser fins might be too tight of a fit to use that kit. The fans though, have not moved since I put them on.

Here is the final product, all put back together, with only those two clips modified. This is my first post and I apologize if there is already a thread of someone doing this, though I could not find one.<br/><br/>Here is the fans and relay I used<br/>http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-slim-line-electric-radiator-fan-10.html<br/><br/>http://www.amazon.com/Derale-16763-Electric-Relay-Harness/dp/B004XONWU4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463629061&sr=8-2&keywords=fan+relay<br/><br/>If you have any suggestions let me know. Colt
The following users liked this post:
patdaly (05-20-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 01:36 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Welcome...and a heck of a way to introduce yourself.

Nice set-up...thanks for sharing!
Old 05-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Nice work!

Suggestions?

Keep right on posting!

Seriously, happy to have you on board!
Old 05-19-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice.

I had a problem with excessive A/C head pressure at idle a several years ago. After all the typical culprits were ruled out I dropped a 10" electric fan behind the grille. No cutting required with an offset single.
I powered mine with a relay too. It is mounted near and actuated by the compressor relay.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (05-19-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I put those two same fans on my 92. I also put in a new style replacement condenser, what a difference in a/c performance idling in traffic. I used the mounting kit for the fans but ran the ties through the back of the condenser so there wouldn't be any nibs sticking out to rub on the radiator.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
I put those two same fans on my 92. I also put in a new style replacement condenser, what a difference in a/c performance idling in traffic. I used the mounting kit for the fans but ran the ties through the back of the condenser so there wouldn't be any nibs sticking out to rub on the radiator.
I got the mounting kits but they look too big to push through the condenser fins? Is that what you did? Mine haven't moved around at all but would like that added piece of mind that they are absolutely secured. Yes, they make a big improvement on the ac performance. Now I run about 30-35*F instead of 44+*F at idle. Going down the road, I can get the vent temps down to 9-10*F. When I bought the truck, they had converted it to r134 (without changing the mineral oil out to a r134 compatible oil), which the coldest it would get was 46*F. That was after going down the road for 10 min. Now I run r12a (not to be confused with r12), which is compatible with any oil and refrigerant. To my understanding, it is basically propane and operates at lower pressures. My high and low side pressures now run at 20 lowside and 80-90 psi highside, on a 70*F day (5000 Ft elevation). The fans should help keep the high pressure down on warmer days and also help keep the engine cool while towing on hot days.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
They'll go through. I pushed them through the front side with the fans in place so I could see where to push them through on the back.