1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Piston LP and updated gallery

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Piston LP and updated gallery

Well I got some of the parts a couple months ago for doing the piston lift pump conversion and I finally got it all together this weekend. I haven't been able to take her out for a good spin yet as its snowing. I didn't want to spend the $500 cdn$ that it would have cost to do the cummins conversion. So i decided I would do it my own way. I wanted a less restrictive system and wanted the higher psi pump. I had to drill and tap out the filter housing because the threads on the banjo bolts are an odd thread and it would have cost too much to have an adapter made so I tapped both the inlet and outlet to 1/4npt. I also wanted bigger lines too so i put reducers on everything to 1/2"npt. The only thing i purchased from cummins was the spacer plate and a gasket. I bought the piston lp from a local bosch dealer for $80cdn!!! I was pretty happy about that, its an industrial ve pump style piston lp so it is lower psi then those for the p-pump. All together I spent about $120cdn on it and got a better gain from lowering the restriction.

I also finally loaded all my pics off my camera so theres quite a few more pics in my gallery now, including pics with the 20"s on so have a look if you like. If anybody has any questions about my conversion i'd be more then happy to answer them
Old 02-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, sounds like you got it all done on a decent budget....let us know how you make out with this.
Do you have the Cummins pump part number you could post...I'd like to look at that option myself..

pb....
Old 02-13-2006, 02:25 AM

Ya I was very happy with the money spent on it. I have the cummins part number but I did not use the pump from cummins i got it from my local bosch dealer. I'll be sure to post any results when i get the chance to take it out
Old 02-13-2006, 08:44 AM

Do you have the bosch part number?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 PM

I do not want to post part number right now as i haven't really tried it out yet and haven't seen the range of psi with this pump yet
Old 02-13-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
I do not want to post part number right now as i haven't really tried it out yet and have seen seen the range of psi with this pump
Bosch might be a cheaper source for the piston lift pump. I'll be anxious to hear what fuel pressures you see.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:09 PM

I would definately be interested in a cheaper source for the LP other than cummins.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:10 PM

I'm impressed. I didn't think I'd like 20's. Looks pretty good with the stripes you have down the side. That engine needs some paint though..
Old 02-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't see any fuel supply problems in your future! That is some nice work.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work indeed! Did you run the new supply line all the way from the tank? If so, how did you tie into the tank?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
I'm impressed. I didn't think I'd like 20's. Looks pretty good with the stripes you have down the side. That engine needs some paint though..
Ya the rims make a night/day difference with the appearance of my truck. Those stripes are actually factory trim pieces but most likely all the trim will come off and stay off with the body work. I agree the engine definitely needs some paint but i want to polish the intake and valve covers. I only got the paint off the intake and the first valve cover tho so far cuz i realized how much sanding is needed . My truck should be going in to get the body done in a couple weeks and when that happens i will paint the motor, but im stumpted as to what colour to paint it. Im bored with the common black and my truck will be blue so thats also out of the question.
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I don't see any fuel supply problems in your future! That is some nice work.
Thanks, that was the plan to prepare for future mods i don't like to do things more then once so i try to plan ahead.
Originally Posted by monty
Nice work indeed! Did you run the new supply line all the way from the tank? If so, how did you tie into the tank?
it is not 1/2" from the tank just the outlet of the lp right now. I didn't want to bother with the tank as of yet because i plan to have everything off while the body is getting done so it will be done then. Its pretty simple to tie into the tank just need to put a 1/2" pickup in the tank.