1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

NV5600 NP205 adapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV5600 NP205 adapter

Ok guys, I finally ran down an NV5600 from an 02'. I have a 90' dodge that im using as a donor for a chevy conversion;anyway im getting the belhousing and the 5600 together. The bellhousing should bolt up to the 90 engine right?? and is there an adapter to adapt the 205 case to the 5600. Well as always thanks guys!! Ryan
Old 02-10-2006, 07:05 PM

The NV5600 will not bolt to the first gen adapter. You need to get the engine adapter from a 94 and newer. They are about $170 from the dealer, or find one at a salvage yard. Then you will have to install a 94 and newer starter to bolt to the adapter. You will need the NV5600 slave cylinder, clutch fork and throwout bearing. I dont know about the transfercase end, I did a conversion on a 2WD.
The shifter hole will have to be moved back about 6"
You will also need a different clutch disc. NV5600 has 1 3/8 input shaft, getrag and NV4500 have 1 1/4 shaft.
Good luck
Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 PM

I think the 5600 is a great trans but it seems there may be a parts shortage. Has anyone had trouble finding parts yet?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:45 PM

If you find a early NV5600 then it will have the smaller input shaft. Marty1 on the TDR did this conversion back a couple years. Here's a link, but I don't know if you will be able to link to it without being a member.http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...600+conversion

I'll read through his writeup and try and copy what he did on the 4x4 end of things.

Curtosy of Marty1 on the TDR.......
First let me say MANY thanks Gil Hugley & PDR for all their help. Without advice from these guys this job would have taken 6 weeks instead of 3!
Just got my conversion finished last night & it works so slick I'm not sure why more guys haven't done it.
I used the Mopar later model adapter/clutch housing as opposed to the one Advance Adapters sells. It requires using a couple extra parts that way but nothing major.
Here's a rough list...
New Adapter from 1999 & up-$200 new...$100 from PDR!
New Starter for 1994 & up-$200-$700 depending if you buy OEM
New Clutch lever & spring-$50
Stock 12" Getrag clutch & flywheel will work if you buy a 1999 NV5600...will not if you buy 2000 & newer with the larger Input shaft.
New clutch Slave cylinder needed from 1994 & newer...best to get a jobber one as Mopar sells the Slave , Master & reservoir as a sealed unit & charges $200 for it, then you'll have to modify the new master cylinder push rod. That's the way I went but I'm told you can just buy a jobber slave & leave all your stock master & reservoir.
You'll need to modify the coupling that fits between the transmission & transfer case...actually I shouldn't say that...you can remove the rear transmission seal & the stock coupling will work but if you leave the seal you will have to machine 3/4" of the coupling down to fit with the seal-1.940" is the size you need. You'll need a lathe or maybe $50 worth of machining work done if you go this route.
You'll have to modify your stock exhaust slightly as the transfer case moves back 6".
You'll need to lengthen the wiring for your reverse lights, speedo & transfer case wiring.
Shorten rear driveshaft & lengthen the front...best to measure but roughly 6".
You'll need new gear shift lever, ****, cap & nut.
You'll need to build a fairly complicated bracket for the transfer case shift lever mounting...I may have the cardboard template I made if anyone needs it & you'll need to extend the shift rod by 6" or so.
You can modify the stock transmission crossmember & mount to work with a little fitting & welding. You can see what I did in the pictures.
Cut the new hole in the floor & weld the old one up & you're ready to go!
I bought most of my parts through Dodge & I had an open bill there. I can get a copy with part numbers if anyone is serious about it installing one of these in their First Gen.
I got a steal on a transmission off Ebay...new in the crate from a Dodge dealer in San Diego for $2200 but I suspect you won't want to buy that from Dodge at retail which is well over $4000!
I figure with all my parts I'm just around $4000.
It's not cheap but I wouldn't trade my truck for an 04...it's worth it to me! I love passing the 2004 trucks running light while I'm towing my car trailer thanks to the guys at PDR!
The most difficult part was trying to deal with the Dodge dealer since they are all on computers which are not conducive to conversions!
Seems they can't do anything without a VIN number so I found a 1999 on Ebay with a 6 speed & used that Vin number! Ha Ha!
Hope some of this useless information helps someone & doesn't scare you away!

I hope this helps.
Michael