1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New here and freezing...heat questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here and freezing...heat questions

Hey guys names Jim and glad to be here I’ve lurked and read through some threads here and seems like a really great forum with knowledgeable 1st gen owners. Anyway let’s get to the questions, truck reaches temp after about 10 minutes driving and everythings normal except heat never gets hot always stays lukewarm barely defrost windows or anything. Could it be a stuck open thermostat? Would clogged up heater core cause that? Or could it be the water valve near the firewall? This is my first diesel and I’m slowly learning about these things.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
The valve up near the firewall on my truck can be looked at to determine the position when the truck is not running (no vacuum). Then start the truck and put the heater on full. The valve should move all the way to the other side. If it doesn't move or moves only a little then that's your problem. You can also use a clothes pin or something to hold the valve fully open and see if you get heat.

Otherwise a clogged heater core or stuck/nonexistent thermostat.

What does your temp gauge read. Mine is about 3 ticks from the low side when warmed up.

Edwin
Old 12-21-2018, 11:11 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to world of Cummins , I have 2 of the beasts , bought one new , one a retrofit into an early truck . Heat is an issue . You could not make one of the beasts run hot in the summer sitting at the Equator with no coolant fan . As suggested look to determine if the obvious problem is there . I’m beating you are going to need the winter radiator cover = a piece of coraplas ( corrugated plastic sheet ) with a few 2 in holes punched in it . Placed in front of the radiator , after you will enjoy warmth with out overheating issues . Even with my radiator covered as suggested , the head temp is 208 * and return to the engine from radiator is 107* . I know your goin to say something is wrong , well it’s a fresh rebuild , new pump , new radiator from a Power Wagon with a 225 cu in gas engine . These engines are very efficient and move lots of air through , sitting still the temp will still noise dive to the sub thermostat opening temp . Look for the suggested issues , if you don’t find any problems try the Hill Billy Thermostat , temporary and see if it’s better before you decide on parts replacement .
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edwinsmith...my temp gauge stays about in the middle once warmed up.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Well that’s a positive indication . OEM gauges are not the best or accurate , but in the middle indication is a good thing . Have you checked to determine the core and heater box are not plugged up with debris ? This is common also . A laser temp gauge is an almost have to have to track down easily what is happening . I really suspect heater control valve or plugged box and outside of the core .
nonrev (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 06:56 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
Those are good suggestions Dave, also sometimes you can pull the hoses off the heater and back flush with a garden hose you will be amazed at the debris you will get out of there. I believe in the stickys there is a article on cutting a hole in the front of the heater box so you can clean the leaves and mouse nests out.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by nonrev
Those are good suggestions Dave, also sometimes you can pull the hoses off the heater and back flush with a garden hose you will be amazed at the debris you will get out of there. I believe in the stickys there is a article on cutting a hole in the front of the heater box so you can clean the leaves and mouse nests out.
I just ordered 5 of those 4 inch deck plates. Two for Christmas gifts for my 1st gen buddies and the rest for me for a few of my own trucks.
Drilling a hole and installing one of those plates so you have a clean out accesses is a good plan.
You might be amazed at the amount of crap that builds up back there over the years.
nonrev (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
But even if the heater shut off valve move, does not always mean it's working. I have had a couple of them that the shaft had broken internally and the valve was stuck shut/open.....so if after all the other choices don't net you any heat I would pull the valve and check it on the bench. But the fact your motor seems to be at proper operating temperature leads one to believe you have an issue with the HVAC system.
nonrev (12-25-2018)