1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Mud flap suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 05:06 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredbrick
Do they make them big enough? Always wanted some on Red
Here ya go...

https://mud-flaps.com/yosemite-sam.html
The following 3 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
bigredbrick (02-26-2023), edwinsmith (02-25-2023), oliver foster (02-25-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 08:23 AM

Received 417 Likes on 319 Posts
If I were inclined to install mud flaps on either of my trucks it would say something like, "if you can read this, you're in range".
The following 2 users liked this post by cougar:
edwinsmith (02-27-2023), NJTman (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 03:27 PM

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueW250
What I did before getting rid of the horse trailer. Angle iron between the flap and bumper.

Thank you,
BlueW250
Thanks for this idea- really great idea if I want to remove them immediately after inspection.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by riki5156
Yikes, next will be CDLs if you pickup lumber at home depot. Federal tax on your fuel, hours of driving restrictions. Sounds like they're really looking at safety.
It's all about weight here- the first gens are registered as passenger trucks, the increase weight of the second gen puts it over and is considered a commercial vehicle. I have to admit, after a couple rock dings in my own windshields from lifted trucks, I see their point.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:52 PM

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by CruisingRam
Thanks for this idea- really great idea if I want to remove them immediately after inspection.

On my crew cab with 6 inch lift and 37, I was asked to get mud flaps for it to pass the yearly inspection about 10 years ago.
Back at my shop, I took a length of metal that was as long as the bed is wide and welded it to a 2 inch hitch I had spare. I then screwed two used mud flaps on to the ends if the metal bar. I literally installed it in the shops yard, got my sticker and removed them for the ride home.
I now have a slide in set of mud flaps for any truck I own with a receiver hitch.

I would let you borrow it but the shipping would get you.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
On my crew cab with 6 inch lift and 37, I was asked to get mud flaps for to pass the yearly inspection 10 years ago.
Back at my shop, I took a length of metal that was as long as the bed is wide and welded it to a 2 inch hitch. I then screwed two used mud flaps on to the ends if the metal bar. I literally installed it in the shops yard, got my sticker and removed them for the ride home.
I now have a slide in set of mud flaps for any truck I own with a receiver hitch.

I would let you borrow it but the shipping would get you.
Brilliant idea- I am going to try it and see if it flies! Thanks
Old 02-27-2023, 04:28 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Why would anyone not want mudflaps?...I think they look good, and also protect approaching vehicles from rock damage......Ben
thrashingcows (03-02-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
Why would anyone not want mudflaps?...I think they look good, and also protect approaching vehicles from rock damage......Ben
I am out in the fields a lot with my trucks, delivering horse supplies etc- and I have had a couple issue with backing up and getting the mudflap caught between a rock and the tire etc and bending the mounts all up. I also like the protection from the rock damages, because, well, I live on a rock.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:21 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Nope, just an old-fangled Marlin, the kind that was prone to the wooden stock cracking under use...This one got re-barreled after a previous owner kept shooting it after someone's lead reloads got stuck in the barrel...Removing the five spent bullets left a severely bulged barrel so a new one was machined and installed and new furniture fitted stem to stern...All I did after buying it was add the front and rear flip-up aperture sights...The only thing remaining from the original rifle is the lower receiver, trigger group and magazine...The stainless weighted ten round magazines in the door pocket came from a competition 1911 I owned a few decades ago...The new barrel is a street legal 16" with a flash hider installed...All the extra picatinny rails could accommodate bad boy accessories, but I choose to leave it as is...The cost for the whole package was about the same as a pristine factory stock .45 Camp Carbine (if one can be found) and a lot more reliable......Ben
Nice. No drum mags, eh ? Lol. Every time I see a drum mag, I think of crime families of the 1930's in the old movies.

Discontinued in 99, I see. Glad you put some old iron to use.

Old 03-01-2023, 06:01 AM

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Around here in the rust belt, I am never a fan of drilling and screwing into sheetmetal, be it rockers or fender wells. This is how most people attach their running boards, mud flaps and fender flairs. All of which are how you START big rot holes in your sheetmetal.

That is my main thing against mud flaps.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
NJTman (03-01-2023), thrashingcows (03-02-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 06:49 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Nice. No drum mags, eh ?
Too bulky for me, I'm used to long years of use with inline mags...Five 10-rounders are just a convenient way to store an extra box of ammo...
Around here in the rust belt, I am never a fan of drilling and screwing into sheetmetal, be it rockers or fender wells. This is how most people attach their running boards, mud flaps and fender flairs. All of which are how you START big rot holes in your sheetmetal..
If I lived closer to the coast, I would have the same concern, but I see your point...I don't see many vehicles from Galveston over 5 years old without visible rot......Ben
Old 03-02-2023, 01:41 PM

Around here in the rust belt, I am never a fan of drilling and screwing into sheetmetal, be it rockers or fender wells. This is how most people attach their running boards, mud flaps and fender flairs. All of which are how you START big rot holes in your sheetmetal.

In the same boat here, only actually worse rust problems due to humidity, salt air and acid rain from the volcano. Only place I have ever been that I have seen almost nothing but the outline of an old car in the jungle in rust!
Old 03-02-2023, 05:50 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts

I already had holes from previous owners installing mud flaps which I re-used...Before each winter I remove the screws one by one and put some heavy grease in the hole and on the screw then re-install...helps keep the corrosion to a minimum.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:47 PM

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Just don’t attach them this securely 😂
nonrev (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 12:32 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
I have a few trucks with steel extended from the sides of the receiver hitch (behind the bumper) to attach mudflaps to.

My flatdeck came with some old conveyor belt type stuff screwed on for flaps. Still using them.

Quick Reply: Mud flap suggestions?