1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Mud flap suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 04:11 PM

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Mud flap suggestions?

I just flunked my "safety" because I have to have mudflaps- even though everything stock, it's a Hawaii thing I guess. This thing has never had them, Is there a stock option? Anyone else had to install them? I would like something halfway decent at least LOL. Or easily removable after the safety check.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:58 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
I get mine from Amazon...They're required in Texas on duallies...There's also a maximum height from ground requirement......Ben
Old 02-24-2023, 05:53 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla
I get mine from Amazon...They're required in Texas on duallies...There's also a maximum height from ground requirement......Ben
HMMMM. When was this enacted? My truck originally came from Texas but didn't have mud flaps. This was 15 years ago or so.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
HMMMM. When was this enacted?
I'm not sure when...But a truck like mine with training wheels can't pass inspection without mudflaps...It's a ticketable offense......Ben
Old 02-24-2023, 06:41 PM

(a) Safety guards or flaps are required on all trucks, trailers, or semitrailers (in combination with a towing vehicle), if the rearmost axle of the vehicle (or combination) has four tires or more, or at least two super single tires. They are not required on buses, pole trailers, motor homes, or truck tractors. In this section, "super single tire" means a wide-base, single tire that may be used in place of two standard tires on the same axle.(b) Safety guards or flaps shall be located and suspended behind the rearmost wheels of such vehicle or if in combination behind the rearmost wheels of such combination to within eight inches of the surface of the roadway.

(c) A tolerance of four inches will be allowed.

(d) Safety guards or flaps shall be at least as wide as the tires they are protecting.

(e) When trailers and semitrailers are operated in combination with a towing vehicle, safety guards or flaps will be required on the rearmost axle of such combination.

(f) Safety guards or flaps shall be of metal, rubber, rubberized material, or other substantial material, capable of remaining in place back of rear wheels by their own weight or structure while the said vehicle is being operated.

(g) The construction of safety guards or flaps will be such that they will remain in proper place back of rear wheels and will be rigid enough to prevent slush, mud, gravel, and other roadway material or debris being transmitted from the vehicle's rear wheels to the windshield of the following vehicle.

(h) Safety guards or flaps should be securely mounted, as wide as the tire that it is protecting, not split or torn to the extent that it is ineffective and the bottom edge of the safety guard or flap shall be no more than 12 inches from the surface of the roadway while the vehicle is standing still, or otherwise not in motion.

(i) A flexible safety guard or flap may swing upwards and backwards while the vehicle is moving, so long as the safety guard or flap continues to block the trajectory of slush, mud, gravel, and other roadway material or debris which would otherwise be transmitted to the windshield of a following vehicle while both vehicles are in motion.
SOURCE......Ben

The following 2 users liked this post by Fordzilla:
edwinsmith (02-24-2023), NJTman (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 06:51 AM

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Any mud flap with Yosemite Sam on it telling people to "Back Off" should do.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
bigredbrick (02-25-2023), Rug_Trucker (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 06:58 AM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
SOURCE......Ben

45FMJ? Not 45JHP?
The following 3 users liked this post by Rug_Trucker:
edwinsmith (02-25-2023), NJTman (02-25-2023), oliver foster (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rug_Trucker
45FMJ? Not 45JHP?
I'm an old fashioned guy living in a new-fangled world...A peek past the newly installed fuel tank at the door pocket shows a glimpse at the 50 extra rounds of .45 ACP hardball for the Marlin Camp Carbine shown below that...If FMJ was good enough for the US military all those years, it's good enough for me......Ben

The following 2 users liked this post by Fordzilla:
edwinsmith (02-25-2023), NJTman (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:04 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I'm an old fashioned guy living in a new-fangled world...A peek past the newly installed fuel tank at the door pocket shows a glimpse at the 50 extra rounds of .45 ACP hardball for the Marlin Camp Carbine shown below that...If FMJ was good enough for the US military all those years, it's good enough for me......Ben

SWEET !

Is that one of them new fangled AR-SBR toys that everyone is yapping about, and I haven't seen or played with yet ?

Old 02-25-2023, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Is that one of them new fangled AR-SBR toys that everyone is yapping about, and I haven't seen or played with yet ?
Nope, just an old-fangled Marlin, the kind that was prone to the wooden stock cracking under use...This one got re-barreled after a previous owner kept shooting it after someone's lead reloads got stuck in the barrel...Removing the five spent bullets left a severely bulged barrel so a new one was machined and installed and new furniture fitted stem to stern...All I did after buying it was add the front and rear flip-up aperture sights...The only thing remaining from the original rifle is the lower receiver, trigger group and magazine...The stainless weighted ten round magazines in the door pocket came from a competition 1911 I owned a few decades ago...The new barrel is a street legal 16" with a flash hider installed...All the extra picatinny rails could accommodate bad boy accessories, but I choose to leave it as is...The cost for the whole package was about the same as a pristine factory stock .45 Camp Carbine (if one can be found) and a lot more reliable......Ben
Old 02-25-2023, 08:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Don't they differentiate between trucks and pickups?
Old 02-25-2023, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by riki5156
Don't they differentiate between trucks and pickups?
In Texas it's anything with 4 tires across the rear axle......Ben
Old 02-25-2023, 09:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Yikes, next will be CDLs if you pickup lumber at home depot. Federal tax on your fuel, hours of driving restrictions. Sounds like they're really looking at safety.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
What I did before getting rid of the horse trailer. Angle iron between the flap and bumper.

Thank you,
BlueW250
Old 02-25-2023, 04:56 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Any mud flap with Yosemite Sam on it telling people to "Back Off" should do.
Do they make them big enough? Always wanted some on Red

Quick Reply: Mud flap suggestions?