1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

lift pump question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lift pump question?

I have all my 3/8" fuel hose routed on my 93. Now I need to install the lift pump, and hook up the fuel hose. The lift pump is a NAPA factory replacement, no 2nd gen pump. I went out today, and tried putting the lift pump in. I had a hard time, with the bolt facing the firewall.
I think the cam lobe is pointing up, causing my install problem. If I bump the engine, and position the cam lobe at a different angle - this should help ease the install of the lift pump? Is this correct thinking?

Also; to bump the engine over without starting it. Can I run a jumper from the positive, to the brown wire going to the starter? I tried to turn the fan nut, but my belt would slip.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just unplug the fuel solenoid and then you can bump it with the key and it won't be able to start. And yes the cam position can sure make it a pain to put in the bolts if it's up.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by broncobilly
I have all my 3/8" fuel hose routed on my 93. Now I need to install the lift pump, and hook up the fuel hose. The lift pump is a NAPA factory replacement, no 2nd gen pump. I went out today, and tried putting the lift pump in. I had a hard time, with the bolt facing the firewall.
I think the cam lobe is pointing up, causing my install problem. If I bump the engine, and position the cam lobe at a different angle - this should help ease the install of the lift pump? Is this correct thinking?

Also; to bump the engine over without starting it. Can I run a jumper from the positive, to the brown wire going to the starter? I tried to turn the fan nut, but my belt would slip.
Bumping the engine over might help if thew lobe is facing the LP now. Just put a socket on the alternator and give it a couple turns. It will turn the motor over with out starting.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:35 PM

100% alternator nut. It will only turn in one direction but irrelevant to your needs.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2011, 08:40 PM

Whiskers and Marc,
Thanks for the replys! Marc, I put a socket on my alternator, but the belt slipped. My hay fever was bad today, and I was dazed from benadryl. So; maybe I was going clockwise on the alternator socket, instead of counter clockwise. Whiskers, can you refresh my memory on where the fuel solenoid connection is? I think I am sure where it is, but a refresher might be in order.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 PM

It's the single wire near the top back of the pump. Disconnect it from the pump.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
It's the single wire near the top back of the pump. Disconnect it from the pump.
Luke,
Thanks for that info!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by broncobilly
Whiskers and Marc,
Thanks for the replys! Marc, I put a socket on my alternator, but the belt slipped. My hay fever was bad today, and I was dazed from benadryl. So; maybe I was going clockwise on the alternator socket, instead of counter clockwise. Whiskers, can you refresh my memory on where the fuel solenoid connection is? I think I am sure where it is, but a refresher might be in order.
If the belt slips try going the other way or just put a socket on the crank pulley bolt. It's a bit tougher to spin there but it'll still work.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
If the belt slips try going the other way or just put a socket on the crank pulley bolt. It's a bit tougher to spin there but it'll still work.
Marc,
I will try your suggestions the next time I work on the 93. Thanks!