1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
lift

I want to lift my truck enough for crossover steering. Would it be better to use Jungle's hangers for the lift in the front or just use springs or a combo of the two? Would Jungle's kit keep the springs from hitting the crossover steering when the springs get a little age on them? I need to buy new springs either way.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t291427.html?&
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can just use spring's no need to change everything out waste of money .
yes the spring's will keep it from hitting on the cross over steering have it on mine and thing's are fine cross over is the Best thing you can do to your truck .
Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love my crossover!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
What happens when the lift springs age? Can they sag enough to hit the crossover steering?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you use an aftermarket part that is sold purportedly as "designed for off-road use only", which is used on a public street or highway, then you are involved in a serious accident on a public street or highway, and the USDOT or NHTSA deigns that part was either a major contributing factor, or wholly the cause of the incident, the persons(s) who installed the part, along with the vehicle owner (if not the same) may well be held liable for the damages therein.

It then falls to the court to decide if the manufacturer of the part, whether he/she/they has a "liability release" or not, knowingly provided a substandard part that was used in an on-road application.

Mark.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
If you use an aftermarket part that is sold purportedly as "designed for off-road use only", which is used on a public street or highway, then you are involved in a serious accident on a public street or highway, and the USDOT or NHTSA deigns that part was either a major contributing factor, or wholly the cause of the incident, the persons(s) who installed the part, along with the vehicle owner (if not the same) may well be held liable for the damages therein.

It then falls to the court to decide if the manufacturer of the part, whether he/she/they has a "liability release" or not, knowingly provided a substandard part that was used in an on-road application.

Mark.
Same with any modification you make to your truck performance, cosmetic or suspension wise. They key is choosing quality parts and knowing your vehicles limitations. Doing your own front end or steering work in general opens you up to liability. Same for doing your breaks.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-12Smoke
Same with any modification you make to your truck performance, cosmetic or suspension wise. They key is choosing quality parts and knowing your vehicles limitations. Doing your own front end or steering work in general opens you up to liability. Same for doing your breaks.
Yep. I agree.

The thing with the owner doing his own repairs, though, is that he may use the parts available to him, what's to say the parts meet DOT requirements?
I mean, really, how is Joe Weekend Mechanic to know the difference between good and bad quality parts?
He may well have done a perfectly good job on putting brakes on his '93 W-350, but because of the sub par parts he was supplied, he had a major accident.

One would THINK that the brake pads they buy from say, O'Reilly's, is up to the task, but time and again I've found it's better to pony up for the $10 or $20 higher brake pads, because the cheaper stuff is garbage.

I once improved, BY OVER 100 FEET the 60 mph stopping distance on a dually I had put cheap pads on, didn't like, then upgraded by $20.

How about the horror stories I'm hearing on reman MASTER CYLINDERS for the D/W 250-350s?
There's "re-man" master cylinders that are not even BORE HONED and they don't seal!

It truly amazes me how much GARBAGE is out there, which may or may not even be properly tested before it's released to an unsuspecting public.

Mark.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crossover steering can be done without having to lift the suspension using 99% oe parts. the only non oe parts would be the drag and center link (dom pipe), but these would be stout enough (exceeding oe strength) that they would not be subject to failure. no need for a high steer arm or the compulsion to raise the suspension high enough to provide the clearance for or risk failure of such......I have yet to see a proper forged steel unit (but have not strained myself looking for one either). the majority are billet or plate....translation cheap and easy to acquire and machine.