1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Intercooler & AC Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler & AC Question

Hey guys, to start off I'd like to say I've been creeping around this site and decided I would join after all the useful info I've found here! I've looked and looked but haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

So my first question is, on the factory 1st gen intercooler one of the AC condenser mounting studs has been broke off, and I would like to repair it before fixing my AC. What is the best way to remove this stud, use an easy out? Or put a wrench on the shoulder and turn it out that way? I am going to soak it in penetrating oil all week and try to remove it next weekend.
Name:  20140706_120741_zpsz7pkhz8i.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  52.3 KB

Question two. I am trying to put AC back on my 91 W250, it was factory AC but the original owner removed the compressor due to the clutch locking up. So I knew I wouldn't have every part I needed (like the back half of the compressor bracket), I do have everything else I believe. As I looked at numerous forums here and found a "sticky" thread by maybe368. He shows these nylon looking alignment pins that go through the gasket from the lines to the compressor. I know I do not have these and I was curious as to do I need these? Do they serve any other purpose other than aligning the lines to the compressor? And if I do need these where can I get them?

Thanks for any info or insight you guys may have.
Joel
Old 07-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
They insure that the crush zone of the gaskets are in the correct place. The automotive ac shop by my house has them in a bin behind the counter, so I am sure they are ez to find...Mark
Old 07-06-2014, 02:37 PM

I know this may be a dumb question, but I take it there are different sizes(thickness)? If they are different sizes how thick do those need to be?
Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SMOKE TRAIL
I know this may be a dumb question, but I take it there are different sizes(thickness)? If they are different sizes how thick do those need to be?
They must be pretty common, because the guy took 1 look, spun around and got them out of a bin. I think I may have an old 1, I'll try to find and measure it...Mark
Old 07-06-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I think those plastic inserts are all the same.

As for the broken mounting bolt it screws into the I/C which is aluminum so use a wrench and work it back and forth if it doesn't want to come out.

If you had to and you are really careful you could heli-coil it.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:48 PM

Thanks Mark, I'll check around here at the local parts stores and see what I come up with. I know I got some with my new expansion valve, so I checked the compressor box and there were none in there. The ones for the expansion valve were different diameters but didn't see if they were the same thickness.

And Johnny, that is one of the studs, not sure if it matters. And you mean put a wrench on the oval looking piece with the two flat sides?

Joel
Old 07-07-2014, 06:10 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Yes on the oval piece, it screws into the intercooler.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Thanks Mark, I'll check around here at the local parts stores and see what I come up with. I know I got some with my new expansion valve, so I checked the compressor box and there were none in there. The ones for the expansion valve were different diameters but didn't see if they were the same thickness.

And Johnny, that is one of the studs, not sure if it matters. And you mean put a wrench on the oval looking piece with the two flat sides?

Joel
Take the gasket in to the shop, it is the diameter of the part inside the clips. I recall that I replaced them all after the new one fit so much tighter. They were just a few cents apiece, IIRC...Mark
Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM

I'll give that a shot Johnny, thanks!

And Mark, I'll see what I can find. Would you happen to know the name for these parts?

Joel
Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Administrator

I'll give that a shot Johnny, thanks!

And Mark, I'll see what I can find. Would you happen to know the name for these parts?

Joel
Joel, I cannot find hide nor hair of these online, except this kit:
http://www.carparts.com/details/Dodg...L/FS38849.html, which I assume is the one you already have. I'll go by the ac shop by my house a little later and get the part number for you. Or PM me your address I'll send them to you...Mark
Old 07-07-2014, 03:23 PM

Yeah Mark those are the only one's I have. I'm gonna check here locally. And that part number may help. I'd like to get them locally to keep from the hassle of shipping and all. But if that's what it takes to get them, then I'll do that. I appreciate all help.
Joel
Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM

Mark, I have found them at my local CarQuest. They are called A/C pilots and the CarQuest part number is 207018. I appreciate all the help you've supplied. Thank you.
Joel
Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 PM

Mark, I went down to my local CarQuest today and they knew exactly what I needed. They are called A/C pilots. Part number from CarQuest is 207018. Thanks for all your help.
Joel
Old 07-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Mark, I have found them at my local CarQuest. They are called A/C pilots and the CarQuest part number is 207018. I appreciate all the help you've supplied. Thank you.
Joel
Cool, I tried to think of all the things they might be called, but pilot never came to mind. Glad you found the, don't forget the Nylog...Mark
Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 AM

I totally forgot about that. Where all do you put that? just on the threads where the line meets the fitting for the compressor?

Quick Reply: Intercooler & AC Question