1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Installing ac in a non ac truck? How hard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installing ac in a non ac truck? How hard?

Ok so I have a 91 non ac truck other than changing out the heater box and adding all of the components for ac, what all else would I need? I know the dash is different, are all of the plugs there to install ac? Will the dash parts from a glass truck of the same year work for like the heater box and the vents and parts like that work? I’m picking up a new cab to replace the one that’s completely gone and would be switching everything over so now would be the best time to do so? Also on a side note to add power windows and locks I got a mint set of 93 doors with power everything are the plugs there in the harness to plug them in? Thanks!
Old 05-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
A Non-AC truck, I have never worked on one in person but I believe the firewall is the same, just a different HVAC box. The dash itself "should" be the same, just some block off parts for the vents maybe? So you'll need all the ducting for the vents if those are not present on your current dash, also the Heater/AC control panel in the dash. And a vacuum source to the whole assembly.

As for power windows and locks there is an entire separate harness that may, or may not be present in your truck....but since it's not part of the main harness I would assume that you do not have it.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
See post 47 here, specifically the picture. and post 136. Thats for a gasser but you get the idea
https://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-...-w250-project/
Unique AC things are :
dash
hvac controls
wiring harness to hvac controls in dash
hvac suitcase
hvac vacuum harness on both sides of firewall and the firewall grommet
AC lines- this is a biggie
ac low pressure switch- theres a million threads on here about finding one of these or substitutes
really need a parts truck or luck at the junkyard. Only diesel specific thing is compressor and condensor and lines

As for the doors, the harness ends are in the non-power cab harness but you need a very specific door harness to plug into those ends. usually I see these cut at the junkyard because they are a pain to remove from either end, esp on drivers side.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:04 PM

Ok so I can get from any ac truck the dash, hvac box and all the other components of the dash, I just have to get this ac switch? Will one work from a gas truck as I found the entire dash in a mint 93 today and have the morning off to go get it if I need to. So all of the ac lines would not work from a glass truck? But the harness is there to plug in all of the assembly?

As for the doors I was able to rob the doors and the entire harness that
Went through the dash and connected both doors untouched! So they will plug right in? That’s great if so!
Old 05-21-2019, 08:09 PM

I assume glass means gas?
AC lines from a gas truck will NOT work on a diesel truck, at least not 91.5-93

get EVERYTHING. Can never have too many switches or parts that are no longer made.

Yes, the doors harness with the really long pigtail that feeds into the regular cab harness is all you need. Chrysler didnt make a special cab harness. They just omitted sections not needed if not equipped
Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 PM

I will go back in the morning and rip everything out of the truck then and take it all! we’re is the different harness located at for the ac? In the dash it’s self? Are the lines compressor and other parts like that availability from rock auto or some place like that?

Yes i I do mean gas. Hands are filthy from trying to swap cabs right now

the ac switch is it in the dash?

All the parts from the inside of the truck are from a gasser so just wanted to make sure it will all work.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 PM

Find the ac controls in the dash- take all the wiring connected to that - its very heavy gauge compared to the rest of the cab harness
Old 05-23-2019, 07:26 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
You'll need the AC blower motor, the AC blower motor resistor and the harness from the Bi Level HVAC control to the blower motor resistor in addition to the parts mentioned in the earlier threads above.