1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I watched a first gen go down in shame

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now ya know why my icon changed and my sig. I was really thrilled when my son started wrenchin'. Not that I don't want him to continue on his current path which is to be a large animal vet., but knowing how to fix things really comes in handy. Even if he can later afford to pay a high end shop, he will be able to know if they are blowing smoke up his butt. He gets every thing he needs because he works hard in school, sports, and like a rented mule on the farm. I still can't figure out how he and the wife talked me out of my 2nd gen. My 2 pennies!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 AM
KRB

Received 500 Likes on 353 Posts
Next door here in KY we are in a crisis due to a large animal vet shortage. The state has made this a priority but the budget crunch may delay some of that work.

I work for UK and they are looking for ways to attract and retain large animal pre-vet students. Lately they have all been females (to bad your son's married!) and I think 1 in 3 gets accepted to Vet school.

I think your son will have plenty of work if he decides to stay large. Seems many vets, especially as they age, realize that they can get paid more to NOT work outside in the rain & mud with no handling facilities trying to doctor a beligerant 1,000 pound animal - if they don't mind fluffy cats and poodles... Go figure.

In the mean time we just keep fixing our own trucks and animals

Side note: Last winter at a cattlemen's meeting where an out of county vet was presenting, he (the DVM) and a surgeon were visiting afterwards and got to comparing incomes (hip replacement). The bone DR. actually netted less per procedure than the dog vet after paying overhead, malpractice, liability, staff, etc, etc. he left wanting to go to Vet School! By the way, I sat in on a meeting with our dean, the governor and ag commisioner yesterday and the shortage topic came up. Concensus was that Vet School is actually harder and more rigorus than pre-med.

Sorry to stray so far off topic but the post had gotten cool and I was so excited to hear about a potential large animal vet I couldn't stand it
Old 01-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Banned

No son's not married yet, at 15 yoa even in WV that's young!!!ha ha. But he is a straight "A" student even with all his extra activities. The vet. thing started when he was 8 yoa and we took his sick horse, that he still loves, to Rood Riddle. It took 10 days in the hospital to fix him and now he is better than ever. My son felt so helpless when he was sick so he wanted to be able to fix him. And to top it off Dr. Ruggles had an excellent bedside manner. This year we went to a UK B-ball game new years eve., the tickets were part of his Christmas present. Any help at UK would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 PM

That sucks. If it was my son it wouldn't have happened because I would have properly educated him......

Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter
I hear you, to many teeny boppers running around in 50k$ trucks here. I cant even imagine affording a 3rd gen, even an 03' with 200k on it is way out of my range. what do these kids or parents do? (crap gold bricks?)
I understand your gripe, but all it takes is good credit and enough income and anyone can get financed for something. I made over 30k from graduating high school in june of '00 to june of 01....I was only 19 and bought my first truck, a really nice 95 z71 that I lifted and put all kinds of nice accessories (not over accessorized or anything tho) I got all kinds of "daddy's truck" comments when I drove, and the same when I bought my 99 7.3 back in mid-04 when I was 23. So I see nothing wrong with a "teeny bopper" driving a nice vehicle that they have worked hard for. If it was bought for them, I hope they have been taught to be responsible.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:51 AM
KRB

Received 500 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Hayseed
I still can't figure out how he and the wife talked me out of my 2nd gen. My 2 pennies!
Thought you meant HIS wife. But I agree, 15 is a little young for WV or KY .

If he goes to pre-vet at UK I'll be happy to be a character reference and show him around. Any kid that drives a 6BT AND wrenches it is high in my book. Need more resposible & involved young 'uns around. I've met plenty through 4-H etc. But there's a bunch out there that unless it has a screen and punch buttons (or stylus now) they ain't interested or understanding it.

03qclb5spd, you're right. I worked my butt off on dad's farm at night and weekends and the neighbor's farm during the week to get my Duster and CJ-3B. Many of the kid's I hung out with didn't appreciate mine - or there's because their folks bought it. They thought I was crazy to baby my stuff while they trashed their's no matter the price. I really respect young folks like you that actually work for what you have and know what you want. Our future hangs on you and you're in the minority now. No pressure though !
Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks! I'm turning 27 in less than two weeks so I'm far past the teeny bopper days. But I still work very hard for what I have and take great care of it. You never know when you won't have it - as evidenced by the accident I had last month. Thanks to someone else on the road that made a stupid move I don't have my truck anymore.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is still off topic, but I am a junior vet student in Mississippi. I just wanted to tell your son to hang in there, and it is very tough but well worth it as you realize how much you learn. We definetly need more competent large animal vets everywhere. Good luck and tell your son if he has any questions about that career choice to let me know.

Last edited by gcliburn; 01-20-2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: wording
Old 02-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to bring up an old thread but I'm very happy right now.

After the night that this happened i've seen the kid around many times before and i seen him with his father the other night and i ended up buying the truck.

Started talking about the truck and offered 500 dollars to get it out of his drive way after he told me he was thinking of selling it asap to pay onto his taxes. So now its sitting in my driveway. Not much money in my pocket to fix it at this time but I will fix it sometime this summer. Ill get some pictures of how clean and perfect this truck is...other than the exception of whatever is wrong with the engine which im still assuming its a melted piston
Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice, somehow i knew you'd end up with the truck... i feel sorry for the guy though, but i've made other people very happy with my losses as well. It evens out mostly in the end.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sweet, I was wondering if you got it!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 PM

ok i just read 55 posts..... definatley some good points in here. but wow this thread is old!! definatley like to see some pics!!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM

wow 2 years later and the guy never fixed the engine ??????

good buy, auto or 5spd ?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:10 PM

i paid for half of my truck, and have to pay the other half back when i get the cash. i pay for the fuel, insurance, and repairs. with money i worked my rear end off to get.
i work for my stuff, and whadduya know? i respect the hell out of it. i keep it out of the mud, my foot off the floor, and if somethin starts to show signs of not being right, i friggin fix it!
but....i see plenty of kids every single day that got everything they own paid for from mommy and daddy. they seriously have no respect for anything.
i tell ya wat im glad my grandparents and even more so my mom and dad for gettin me started right. fix what i broke, get punished for wat ive done wrong, and get rewarded for the job well done, but not over rewarded.
not to toot my own horn, but i feel like im doin a heck of alot better than the bum that blew up the beautiful cummins.
TOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just hone it out and throw a new piston in

I can't believe they just didn't try and find a spare engine somewheres.