1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I watched a first gen go down in shame

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched a first gen go down in shame

So tonight. I was in and around my town of butler. I was cruising/messing around as this is probably the last nice night out that I will have. I happened to come across a PERFECT CONDITION black first gen Cummins puffing more black smoke than I could believe. Well we were screwing around and got off onto this back road, and he stopped and did a burn out. It sounded as he was revved out to the max. I sat there in astonishment that i couldn't believe someone would run their first gen that hard for that long. To make a long story short. It was a young kid with his daddy's truck and he didn't understand the concept of a diesel nor did he realize to pay attention to gauges. I heard the truck make a weird pop sound. And then slowly come to its death. He had ran too high of EGT's for too long in his 2 minute burn out and fried the engine. He used my cell phone to call his father and I was standing about 10 feet away from him while he was on the phone and i could hear this shrill screaming coming from the phone. I waited with the kid while his father showed up. When his dad had gotten there he told me that his son wasn't even supposed to HAVE the truck. I felt really bad for the guy, he honestly looked like he was ready to cry/and or kill his son. So in my hoping at the time of this guys pain, i gave the guy my number if he wants to sell the truck and i hope to get some parts. The truck had 75+injectors. Tweaked pump maxing 38lbs of boost, 3200 spring, and this awesome set of stacks that i would die for, all running on a stock turbo! Lesson to be, never let kids drive your vehicle's. And upgrade your turbo so you don't have a death wish for your truck when your running them mods along with 38lbs of boost on a stock turbo.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pity the boy............there goes teh college fund!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 AM

I'll probably sound hard-hearted but I hope the dad makes the kid work to pay for the repairs. Nothing like working to pay for what you broke to make you gain respect for other peoples property and what things cost. Unfortunately, from the sound of the story, it doesn't sound like this kid has learned much of that yet in life. Maybe someday he'll be a respectable diesel junkie like the rest of us and can inherit that 1st gen that he used to abuse.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Unfortunately, from the sound of the story, it doesn't sound like this kid has learned much of that yet in life. Maybe someday he'll be a respectable diesel junkie like the rest of us and can inherit that 1st gen that he used to abuse.

I ain't got much faith in the kid; he is gone too far.

I had a cousin like that, rich kid with plenty of money and no raising; he had no respect for his own property, and less for anyone else's.

Old dad would be better off to just cut him off and set him to drift; he'll end up either in prison or the Chief of Police in some little town.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
I'll probably sound hard-hearted but I hope the dad makes the kid work to pay for the repairs. Nothing like working to pay for what you broke to make you gain respect for other peoples property and what things cost. Unfortunately, from the sound of the story, it doesn't sound like this kid has learned much of that yet in life. Maybe someday he'll be a respectable diesel junkie like the rest of us and can inherit that 1st gen that he used to abuse.

I agree 100% That kid should work to pay back his dad. I feel bad for the dad it must have been a sweet truck
Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well my opinion is this, next truck the kid drives, he pays for it upfront, as well as fix his dad's truck. i mean i bought my truck on min. wage and fixing an accord i recked at the same time. yeah it sucked but i can promise you i respect my truck and take good care of it
Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Chapter President

Ouch thats painful
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That screw up is going to cost the kid in one way or another and it might not all be money
Old 12-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Chapter President

Can parents divorce their kids? JK! But seriously if my kid did that Its one thing to get into an accident, its another to pop the motor showing off. That boy owes his daddy! I say make him work and garnish his pay or, "Well son, how does community college sound?" Just hope he doesn't have one of those buddy - buddy parents who'll let him off scott-free with a hug and "at least your OK"

This is what it should look like:

Oh well it is Christmas time, Maybe we'll only take back half his presents.

PS, you should get that guy on DTR!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM

I think he might be on DTR, if he is i hope he posts in here soon. he had a DTR sticker on his truck!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 AM

wow !!! i feel for the dad His kid may or may not be appreciate the truck I personally highly doubt it. I watched a younger adult total a 2007 quad Cummings 4x4 and laugh about it had no remorse about poooching a 40 to 50 k truck,made me sick ,I see guys here running around with 100 k trucks as daily drivers and just trashing them. they dog me for buying a 5 k truck as a daily driver. lol same as watchin guy smoke of a set of rubber that cost 1 k to 2 k oh well guess
Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by roxxx
wow !!! i feel for the dad His kid may or may not be appreciate the truck I personally highly doubt it. I watched a younger adult total a 2007 quad Cummings 4x4 and laugh about it had no remorse about poooching a 40 to 50 k truck,made me sick ,I see guys here running around with 100 k trucks as daily drivers and just trashing them. they dog me for buying a 5 k truck as a daily driver. lol same as watchin guy smoke of a set of rubber that cost 1 k to 2 k oh well guess

I hear you, to many teeny boppers running around in 50k$ trucks here. I cant even imagine affording a 3rd gen, even an 03' with 200k on it is way out of my range. what do these kids or parents do? (crap gold bricks?) Not to mention the plethora of Ford 4x4 crew powerjokes in the local student parking lot Doesn't anybody make their kids work these days?

"No respect I tells ya, no respect!"
Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 AM

1st gen.

i bought my son a 1k car at 16. i told him if it-he broke it WE would fix it. if he didnt work on it he would walk period.it broke a few times. he broke it a time or two. he always told me what happened and we fixed his car. the 140 mi. per. hr. aspen is now parked in my shed in running condition. he is now married and driving an 04 dodge diesel that he has only let me drive ONCE in 2 yrs.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:37 AM

i learned my lesson.. twice

back when i was twelve, i was coming up from our shop to our house with a spare tire, and i was running and dribbling the spare as i ran. as i got up to the house, i lost control of the tire and it slammed into our suburban knocking a huge dent in the driverside rear door, costing me aprx $500.00 to get fixed. no more bouncing tires. the next time i "learned" my lesson, i was 19 and our parents were gone for a week vacation by themselves, and i had our 96 f350. i was pulling a 17' lowboy trailer, and i was driving way to fast around our show, about 30mph, and i made a turn and slid in some mud right into a oak, destroying the front bumper, grill, front left headlight, and a piece of metal that goes around the wiper area. boy i tell you what, i bout crapped myself, cause my dad had just bought that truck at an auction(wich we still have) and it was an immaculate truck (5spd w/ 460, and a flatbed). parents werent coming home for another 3 days so the next morning opened up the phone book, and the wallet and dished out dang near $2000 for parts and repainting job. when they got back, dad just laughed and said youll eventually learn. i never got an allowance. i was allowed to stay at home for free, and sleep in their house, and eat their food. the money i earned was from working for him as an equipment operator, and doing side jobs clearing land, digging ponds, and doing underground work for plumbers and other electricians. so ive had to learn the hard way a few times, but so did my dad growin up, and so will my kids when i eventually have somelol, but they will certainly have to earn their way as i did and everyone before me.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Banned

Kid needs his butt beat raw, for all the good it would do. I would have made him walk home, that's for sure. There would go his college fund, along with likely sleeping outdoors for a while. Maybe in the truck, since he was so fond of it.

Southern Pride- I envy your raising. Had my mother allowed me to work half as much as I wanted to when I was 15 (My grades in the govt school may have suffered ), I'd be a lot farther along than I am have more than I have, though I am catching up faster than I anticipated 3 years ago. As it was, I showed up to class, goofed off, got near straight A's in H.S., and flunked out of college. Work ethic was nothing to speak of at 20. By 23, that had changed.

This IS the opportune time for Dad to go all out on a rebuild- 15.3:1 pistons, port the head, cam, performance pump and injectors, etc, etc.

Daniel

Quick Reply: I watched a first gen go down in shame