1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

how hard to rebuild holset turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how hard to rebuild holset turbos?

I've got three turbos i got sittin around that need rebuilt. I got an hy35 that i cooked the bearings on and the compressor wheel rubbed on the housing and i got an he341 that needs an oil seal on the exhaust side, and i got an hx35 i picked up off a bus that I think the bearings are bad and the compressor wheel has a bunch of chips on it. I just picked up a used compressor wheel for the hy35 for a good deal so i was thinkin about rebuildin it. The holset rebuild kits are only about $40 and from the pictures, they don't look to hard to rebuild. Just wonderin if any one has rebuilt a holset turbo and if its hard to do or fairly easy? I would probably just rebuild them and then sale them for pretty cheap. Also would i have to have them rebalanced? It would be a good winter project for me if it was worth my time.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 PM

I rebuilt an HX40 at school a few months ago. First time I'd had a turbo apart and it took me an hour, (I did it at lunch time for kicks.) Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
If you replaced the chipped wheels you should be fine. I'm assuming the compressor housing has chunks missing too so that would need replacing also. But AFAIK you don't have to rebalance them, unless the shaft is bent, in which case it's probably not worth rebuilding...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Rebuilding a holset is pretty straight forward as long as you remember the nut is left hand thread. The clearances are tight so don't force anything on the inside. If the pin wheels are damaged you should replace them because it most likely will be out of balance and/or the running clearances will be excessive. The hardest part for me was seperating the exhaust housing from the center section. Lots of penetrating lube and firm but gentle persuasion with a beating stick (hammer) of the appropriate size. A little heat doesn't hurt either.
A good inch pound torque wrench is a plus when reassembling.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 PM

hey austin. i rebuilt my hx35. i bought the kit online, i forget where...but it is really easy. its just a bunch of snap rings to get the journal bearings out. you can do it pretty fast too but i took my time and cleaned everything up. people will tell you to have it rebalanced but i just marked the turbing wheel to the shaft and its working fine for me. either way its gonna get throw off balance when the exhaust wheel gets covered in soot right? good luck with it man, i think there is a link in the sticky with pictures of how to rebuild it
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

I've rebuilt a few of em, nothing to it.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
after many years in turbo rebiulding if the wheels have hit the housing most of us dont have the tools to fix it. putting a kit and a new or good compressure wheel is not going to fix it. turbo #1 bearings lose comp wheel hit housing what I think you would find if you take it apart bad wheel & shaft bad bearing hsg. and most of the small parts. Some parts would be fixable. W/S, bearing HSG, and backing plate, tools need to fix these parts Lathe, Sunnen Hone, shaft grinder. turbo #2 if the bearings are good you would need a bearing & seal kit take a good look at the seal area of the bearing hsg. and the wheel & shaft. turbo #3 could be just a compressure wheel and a kit or it can be like turbo #1. most of the things that I have seen on the web and in the magazines dont show you what to look for when doing a turbo and some of them have I have seen show putting new bearing in turbos that I could see that shaft needed grinding so if the shaft needed grinding I know the bearing hsg needed work to. Ken
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 AM

easy job, IF -as stated above comp. wheel hasnt wore against housing. ive used ebay holset kit no problems. on a side note, did you get your freinds truck running
Old 11-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Maybe I'll buy a kit and tear into one and see. The HE341 with the bad oil seal is probably the one I'll do first. The hy35's compressor wheel has rubbed against the housing, that one might not be worth rebuilding cuz it also has a crack in the exhaust housing from the wastegate hole out. I might just keep that one on the shelf as a carnage trophy But the hx35 off the bus, the bearings felt decent, there was a little play but not enough to where it was rubbing yet. The fins on the compressor wheel are just really chipped as if something went through it or something. I could maybe use the parts from the hx and hy and make one good hybrid turbo along with the spare compressor wheel i picked up (not sure what size, i need to measure it)

Terry, no not yet, haven't had much time, I'll PM you