1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help! Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Truck won't start

I figured I'd ask you guys before I start replacing parts on the truck. The truck I'm talking about is the 90 in my signature. It has a starting problem of some sort, but I'm not sure what the problem is. When I go out to start the truck most of the time it will start fine, but every now and then it is just totally dead, all of the lights work so I know its not the battery when I hit the key to start it all I hear is a click. An hour or two later the truck will start and run fine, I thought something might be getting hot and not working right so I drove the truck around for about 30 minutes to get everything warm and then I shut it off and it started fine like 5 times, but the next time I drove it it was back to just a simple click, like a relay clicking or something and once again I let it set for a little while and it starts fine. I would think if it is something getting hot that it would do it every time you try to start the truck when its hot, but most of the time it works fine but it is getting annoying when it won't start and I want to get it fixed before I get out somewhere and it won't start and I have to tow it home. Any help on this would be great, I'm going to start tearing into it this weekend I think, but if anyone has ever had this happen to them or could at least point me in the right direction it would be great. I don't think it is the starter because it will start sometimes and it cranks fine, but other times it is just totally dead.

Thanks All
Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like a grounding issue. I would check the chassis ground for corrosion.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksmoker0268
I figured I'd ask you guys before I start replacing parts on the truck. The truck I'm talking about is the 90 in my signature. It has a starting problem of some sort, but I'm not sure what the problem is. When I go out to start the truck most of the time it will start fine, but every now and then it is just totally dead, all of the lights work so I know its not the battery when I hit the key to start it all I hear is a click. An hour or two later the truck will start and run fine, I thought something might be getting hot and not working right so I drove the truck around for about 30 minutes to get everything warm and then I shut it off and it started fine like 5 times, but the next time I drove it it was back to just a simple click, like a relay clicking or something and once again I let it set for a little while and it starts fine. I would think if it is something getting hot that it would do it every time you try to start the truck when its hot, but most of the time it works fine but it is getting annoying when it won't start and I want to get it fixed before I get out somewhere and it won't start and I have to tow it home. Any help on this would be great, I'm going to start tearing into it this weekend I think, but if anyone has ever had this happen to them or could at least point me in the right direction it would be great. I don't think it is the starter because it will start sometimes and it cranks fine, but other times it is just totally dead.

Thanks All
Isn't this the issue with the contactor thingies in the starter? The solenoid works which is the click but the contactors are worn down so the battery doesn't connect to the starter.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 AM

i vote for the contact thingies in the starter. always good to check all cables and each end before spending money. brothers 96 just did this two weeks ago and a rebuilt starter fixed it.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:23 AM

you can replace the contacts cheap.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:54 AM

loose or corroded battery cables can do this. but i bet u will be replacing the contacts in the starter.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try putting it in Neutral and jiggle the shift lever with the key turned to start.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:50 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An Auto tranny equipped vehicle will have a "neutral start switfch" which prevent sthe truck from starting in gear. These are generally located on teh steering column controlled by a rod from teh gear selector, or located on teh outside of the tranny housing controlled electronically. I think the Dodges are on teh column, but not certain. these are plastic switches and can wear, causeing intermittant contact, creating a start problem. This is what Trebor was getting at by jiggiling the gear selector. ALso, next time it wont start, try shifting to nutreal and starting the truck..this is the best way o fpin-pointing the switch as the problem.

If it is not the n-safety switch, then you are looking at rebuilding the starter.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 AM

you guys are good i missed the automatic part in his sig. coarse i should have mentioned the clutch pedal switch if it was a stick.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, that should cover it. I'd be surprised if one of those three don't turn up the problem:

1) Ground(s)
2) Neutral switch
3) Starter
Old 04-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Thanks guys....It looks like I have a few places to start. I'm going to try to work on the truck this afternoon. I'll let you know what the problem was.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

DOnt forget your starter relay, or the wiring from the battery to the starter solenoid. try the plug in next to the battery with the brown and pink wires. Jup these two and see if it starts. I have had 2 starters that were just gunpowder looking inside, and contacts would have not helped them.

Daniel
Old 04-20-2007, 06:57 PM

I too vote for something in the starter. It starts sometimes because of the position that its in. The next time it might not start due to the starter thingy being in the bad position. I dont know the technical term for it, I just know how it does what it does if that makes any sense? I usually dont, I speak the Ron White language
Old 04-20-2007, 06:58 PM

problem

if none of those work might be ignition switch but probably is something in starter