HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck won't start (won't even crank)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck won't start (won't even crank)

Help. Went to start my truck this morning (did have it plugged in last night) and I got nothing. The wait light stayed on much longer than it usually does when plugged in, and the extension cord was live. The lights and radio came on just fine, no dimming or anything. However, it wouldn't crank, wouldn't even click like the batteries were low on juice. The batts are right at one year old and I haven't had anything but perfect starts every time, no long cranking, very smooth, etc. I did hook up my trickle charger and it jumped straight to 6A (indicating a low source), so I hooked cables to a little danger ranger, let it charge for five minutes, and still nothing (no crank, no click).

I've had a Smarty on it for two weeks now, only one load error last week, nothing since. No lights were on over night, I do have an amp that's been making some funny noises, but that shouldn't take down two good batteries when its not pulling a load.

I know the starters on these trucks have a problem with the contacts wearing out, but is that something that would fail immediately overnight? I'm really at a loss, any help would be appreciated.

I will be able to mess with the truck again over lunch.

EDIT: It was about 2deg this morning, if that means anything.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a volt meter and check the batteries.

Then check the connections to the starter.

Good luck, it was -2 here in Des Moines, Iowa area.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:25 AM

If all of your accesories worked and you didn't even get a click or anything, I would say it would be a start relay, I would check all your wires/contacts first. Good luck to you buddy.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If it's the starter solenoid not clicking on sometimes giving the starter a whack with a hammer might free them up for a month, or sometimes just for one time.
If it works carry a hammer with you till you can replace the starter.
While you're under there check that the small wire to the starter is intact with clean connection.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ado2b1
... it wouldn't crank, wouldn't even click ...
Check this out for a possible free fix (cheap, anyway). After that, try this to rebuild your starter.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 PM

Thanks FMB. I'm definately going to try that tomorrow. Didn't have a chance to look at it over lunch, had to work ten straight. I just wish it would get to at least freezing so I could use my fingers for more than about two minutes. A high of sixteen tomorrow. ****. I will post with the results but it sure sounds like that could be my problem. Did not see the starter fuse blown but may be looking in the wrong place. Plus I'm wandering around in the dark with minimal light. Can't tow to the shop because there's ice on the roads.

The perfect storm really. Thanks for the help and ideas guys.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 AM

it's cold out, whack the starter solenoid 1st. see if it goes. not with your sally purse either actually get a few feet of scrap steel feed it through to the solenoid from the top and whack the end of the steel. working inthe cold sucks. see if tht makes it go 1st. then you can check wires and solenoids when you get it somewhere warm

work smarter not harder, especially when its cold.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 AM

For pete's sake, check the sarter relay fuse. It pop's and nothing happens.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:14 AM

I did whack it from all angles. I actually tried to put some hurtin on it since I'm so ticked off. Bottom side was a five pound hammer, top side was the end of my 16lb maul. Still nothing. I did check the starter relay, and even switched it with my blower relay (same #'s), still no go. That was last night around 12AM. Was going to try this morning, and now we have a couple inches of snow (not that I'm chickening out, just complaining). I'm headed home around 2 and taking our heavy truck mechanic. After I check the above mentioned wires and rub spots, I assume we'll try to jump the starter directly.

Is this a good idea or can it go wrong in a hurry? We do it all the time on smaller vehicles, but this is a lot higher power. It would however let me figure out whether this is electrical or mechanical.

EDIT: This may or may not have anything to do with what is happening. The fuel is still fine, lots of additive, fuel pumps run fine. However, when I turn the key to start (what would normally be bumping the starter) the fuel pumps do not temporarily run. Do they kick on from a signal from the actual starter, or does that circuit come from the key position?

Continuing thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Melinda85 (05-18-2021)
Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
EDIT: This may or may not have anything to do with what is happening. The fuel is still fine, lots of additive, fuel pumps run fine. However, when I turn the key to start (what would normally be bumping the starter) the fuel pumps do not temporarily run.

that is normal.... remove starter and repair solenoid with new contacts
Old 12-16-2008, 10:49 AM

try checkin out your p/n/d switch or clutch safety switch, whichever you have. also check out your ignition switch,you might need a new one of them. If you want, you can always try jumpin the starter of the solenoid. be careful and good luck.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Truck is back

As you read yesterday, I switched my blower relay with the starter relay and the same problem resulted, no start. At lunch I crawled around under the truck shifted the wires around looking for a short - none. Took a screw driver and started it up (def no problem with contacts). Brought it back to the shop and traced the signal wire into the box. For the hell of it I switched another relay since it was working up to there, this time the trailer relay to the starter position. Fires right up ???, apparently the blower relay functioned for what it needed to, but not for what the starter circuit needed. So this afternoon I'm ordering 4 replacement relays to fill up the spare spots and replace the bad ones.

Thanks for the help, again.