1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Haywire fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by death row dave
I have found that a motorcycle jack is your friend when lowering and raising a fuel tank . It works pretty slick
That is the same trick I use. ATV jack in the front, standard floor jack in the in the rear of the tank if it is pretty full.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Guys not to try and hijack the thread but I still haven't resolved the issue with one of dads rigs. Its the one he broke the frame on a few years back. I have literally changed the sending unit, complete module with the new sending unit, a complete gauge cluster. Heck I even tried undoing the RWAL harness under the dash and with the door open ran a different one from the plug to the fuel tank and still the fuel gauge doesn't work properly. If you fill the truck up the gauge will go all the way to full. But when you drive it it wont go under 3/4 of a tank. The idiot light wont come on either. Don't ask me how I know. Okay, so what am I missing? One other thing I put a flatbed on this truck with all LED lights which I grounded to the frame. The original RWAL harness isn't grounded anywhere I could find. Does it need to be? If so where does it get grounded at? I traced it from the tail light pig tails (or where they used to be before I soldered in all of the LED lights). Has anyone experienced the same issue? Thanks
Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
Yeah, you can't buy new sending units anymore but, you can still buy the gas fuel pump module assemblies and I believe the sender off of that would work just fine. It just costs more because you are buying an electric pump as well.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this yet but my gauge gets hinkey at times so I may have to be the guinea pig for this soon.
I believe you are correct. My local Dodge dealer tells me the Mopar OEM part number of the sending unit for our diesel trucks has now changed to 5201-7992, which is the OEM part number for the gasser sending unit. Below I have attached both the relevant pages from my Mopar parts manual.

The gasser replacement electric pumps are made by Carter Fuel Systems -- the same company that manufactured our OEM diesel reservoirs. It might be worth a call/email to Carter to see if they will sell you a sending unit (only) so you don't have to cannibalize a new gasser fuel pump...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
91_93_Diesel_Fuel_Reservoir.pdf (30.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: pdf
91_93_Gasser_Fuel_Pump.pdf (17.0 KB, 73 views)