1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag grinding in 4th & 5th, below 1500rpm, help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getrag grinding in 4th & 5th, below 1500rpm, help?

RE:92 Ram 25004x4 w/cummins, getrag.
Ever buy a truck Knowing that the tranny has problems, take it to a shop, and $2300, and a month later the shop and yourself cant figure out what's wrong? That's my situation. We replaced the clutch/pilot/throwout w/the clutch that Dodge recommends per the "noise below 1400rpm bulletin", and had the flywheel surfaced. The tranny shop replaced the cluster shaft/bearings, and the input shaft/bearing. The problem got a whole lot more quiet, but once it warms up(30+miles) the noise comes back in 4th &5th. When it's cold it doesn't seem to noticeable. It goes from idle and does not change pitch, but almost completely dissapears after 1500rpm. The noise is not a clattering or a whine, rather a grind-much like a grinder on a piece of steel w/out hearing the grinder motor. The noise is not in float, but under acceleration or coast. Once it's good and warm the t-case shifter begins to rattle. It also seems to very occasionally pop out of 5th @ 1200rpm going from float to coast. However, if you push the clutch in the noise dissapears.The shop has been into everything from the outer rear wheel bearings, all the way through to the input shaft on the tranny, and claim they cannot find anything even remotely worn. What's most frustrating, is that the grinding is in the range that all your in town driving is done at. It does not seem to be the low rpm lugging noise that is caused by the clutch dampening springs, as i hear that clatter at below 1100rpm, and that seems normal to me. The tranny shop told me this is normal, but i have trouble believing that, because dodge would have had trouble selling a truck in 1992 that made tranny noise right off the show room floor. Can anyone on the globe relate to my problem, and if so is this normal, or is something eating it's self up in there. I'm not going to sell my soul to the devil for an answer, but i think i'd do a lot of other things to find out what's going on! Any help would be really appreiciated, thanks! By the way, I ground off that useless collar on the full load screw, took that sucker all the way to the stop, brought the idle screw back about an inch, and went from 9 to 28 lbs of boost @ 1150on the egt-WOW!!! 100mph is absolutely no problem, even up hill in 5th.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Make sure your tranny guy knows his Getrag. Here's a link to a thread with rebuild specs PepeCat got from Mysteryman, he was a former Chrysler engineer who knows his Getrags. If you want it to last get it right ASAP.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&pp=15&page=5
Old 04-19-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Some noise is normal if you are running 5-30 oil but it's more of a light gear noise not a grinding noise. From what I understand the correct preload on the bearings is critical and most people that have posted here about rebuilding their Getrags end up replacing the in put shaft because it is the race for one of the bearings.....I think. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just rebuilt my getrag over the past 2 months along with a new clutch. I was just going to ask the same question myself. Its been so long since I drove the truck I seem to have forgotten all the sounds it makes. I put about 100 miles on it and notice a whine in 4th and 5th when under load or below 1500rpms. Half of my problem was that the shift and TC gromets and boots were off so I was hearing more noise than normal. I just have a shifter boot left and hopefulley that will bring it down to normal levels. I think it will make some noise no matter what. I use 5w30 but am conisdering a bump up in wieght to this 5w50 or so and see what that does for the noise. Ofcourse my senses are turned way up and after you spend 1400 in parts and 2 months your a little nervous about every humm buzz and grinding noise that you hear. So far so good.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
They rattle at low RPM. What kind of oil are you running in the trans?
Old 04-19-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something else that I didn't see mentioned in the post was overfilling by one quart. Most on here put 4.5 quarts instead of the 3.5qts that book says. That may help a little more. I dumped the 5qt jug in the top before i put the top cover on. I'm running synthetic 5w30 from wally world.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 PM

Hey, sweet!!!! I'm going to take the truck back to the shop and and once they have it out, it's going to be me that checks the preload this time. Many thanks for the mysteryman link, too tight of bearing preload makes sense on account that the noise does not exist intil it's warm, and then gets worse and worse the warmer it gets. And as far as over filled, i think so because the elbow is on the fill hole, however only the creator knows what kinda oil is in it. I shall ensure 5-30 goes back in. Anyhow, i'll check back w/ you guys after i put it back in, MANY THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!