1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel in OIL - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:41 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Right now my nose is running so not going to do anything until I'm over this cold. Edwin
This high-speed internet is amazing and not always such a good thing; after joining in your thread, I caught your stupid cold and I still ain't over it; throat itching, eyes watering, nostrils swollen together, off and on my stomach feels like the washing machine, my joints ache; I feel like those old girls in their pajamas that you see on the flu medicine commercials look.
I guess I need to update my anti-virus and check my firewall so it doesn't happen again.

I sure hope you feel better and I am glad that you got the fuel leak solved.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
There are different types of inverters, pure sine wave inverters and modified sine wave inverters. Power chargers for laptops require a pure type, I think. I learned this after trying to power an electric blanket with a cheapie inverter, no go. I did some searching and learned something new ...Mark

Somewhat off topic --- Reading this means I need to research what kind of waves my collection of swap-met TRIPP inverters will put out.
I bought a stack of brand-new-in-the-box TRIPP inverters, BIG ONES, from a swap meet vendor who had a bunch of stuff he had bought at a close-out auction and didn't know what they were; I did and I bought the whole stack.

After the electricity suddenly slammed off, flickered a few times, and all went dark for about the third time this month, I got the idea that I could connect one of these inverters to the collection of Group-31 batteries that I have paralleled together out in the shop.
I keep a float-charger connected and use them for bench-testing various 12-volt projects.
I figure to plug my fleet of computers, monitors, peripherals, and such to the inverter so that these frequent power outages won't be so hard on things, plus I can still use them when everything else is dark.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
With the recent fuel tax increase in Commiefornia I'm glad I saved the fuel/oil mix I drained from the crankcase. I still have 5 gallons of it left out of 7.5 gallons I was able to save. $3.39 gallon x 5 = $16.95. At least it paid for the new seal kit.

Sorry about your cold Bearkiller.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Somewhat off topic --- Reading this means I need to research what kind of waves my collection of swap-met TRIPP inverters will put out.
I bought a stack of brand-new-in-the-box TRIPP inverters, BIG ONES, from a swap meet vendor who had a bunch of stuff he had bought at a close-out auction and didn't know what they were; I did and I bought the whole stack.

After the electricity suddenly slammed off, flickered a few times, and all went dark for about the third time this month, I got the idea that I could connect one of these inverters to the collection of Group-31 batteries that I have paralleled together out in the shop.
I keep a float-charger connected and use them for bench-testing various 12-volt projects.
I figure to plug my fleet of computers, monitors, peripherals, and such to the inverter so that these frequent power outages won't be so hard on things, plus I can still use them when everything else is dark.
Most of the inverters nowadays are of the step wave type. The overload circuitry in the inverter kept shutting it off when I connected my laptop PS. I think it has something to do with the power factor correction that modern Switch Mode PS use nowadays. BTW one of mine is a Tripp-Lite 100 watt also. The others are a Horror Fright Chicago Electric 1200 watt job and the other is a Cobra 400 watt that I picked up at a swap meet. None of them work with my laptop.

I thinking I need to go buy a gas generator for next time. They put out a pure sine wave.

Edwin
Old 11-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Most of the inverters nowadays are of the step wave type. The overload circuitry in the inverter kept shutting it off when I connected my laptop PS. I think it has something to do with the power factor correction that modern Switch Mode PS use nowadays. BTW one of mine is a Tripp-Lite 100 watt also. The others are a Horror Fright Chicago Electric 1200 watt job and the other is a Cobra 400 watt that I picked up at a swap meet. None of them work with my laptop.

I thinking I need to go buy a gas generator for next time. They put out a pure sine wave.

Edwin
I just went out in the shop and took a look at the ones I have; they say TRIPP 500-Watt PowerVerter.
They have three 3-prong 110v outlets.

I have had them quite some time; I need to get them mounted in some of these trucks instead of collecting dust on a shelf.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:10 PM

A long time ago, there was a little box you could wire to the alternator of your vehicle that would all it to put out 110 volts of DC to run things like drills and such that would work on DC. I had one on my service truck that worked very well. This was in the days before battery power tools 40 years ago.

Whereabouts are you in KY. My mother was from there. A little coal camp down by Williamsburg called Mountain Ash. She was a coal miners daughter.

Edwin
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (11-10-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:03 PM

I finally got the fittings together to put a fuel pressure gauge on my truck. After the filter it measures 15 psi at Idle. Revving the engine it goes up to 16.5-17 psi. It's a cheap $20 gauge so I can't vouch for accuracy but I think it should be OK. I plan to hook up the same gauge to the pump which caused the damage and see what it puts out. Stay tuned...

Edwin
The following 3 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
bigragu (12-13-2017), ecmexchange (12-12-2017), oliver foster (12-13-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:05 PM

I rigged up a test gauge to the CHEAP piston pump I bought the results are shown:

I just hand pumped the piston rod, NOT the primer, and I pegged the meter. at least 40 PSI or above. Definitely way to much pressure for the VE seal.

The Pump I got from DieselTuff.com on the truck is here:

The following 2 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
MrFusion (12-15-2017), NJTman (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
Thanks for the update Edwin. That is great info to know.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
edwinsmith (12-14-2017), nonrev (12-16-2017)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping to get an update or a little guidance. My long story short is I bought a high mileage 3rd gen. No exterior leaks, no dancing oil filler cap and all reasonably clean rust free with all fluids at the correct level. Everything appears stock with the exception of a Smarty programmer set at level 3. new turbo and full set of injectors within 10,000 miles with receipts...Boost gauge and EGT levels normal when driven.

Fast forward two weeks ... Truck runs great, but time to do maintenance. I changed new fuel filter oil/filter and bearings in rear and six new shoes. Thinking all was maintenance I did not check the oil level before changing, but found approximately three quarts extra diesel smelling fluid. Without boring anyone with details of other things, the only fact I have is when I added uv dye to the fuel filter reservoir, it only took 45 seconds to pollute the oil all across the head and oil pan. After reading a few forums and a post I was told only two suspects.. Injectors or Injector pump. After reading this I'm adding the lift pump? I don't like throwing parts at a problem and would like to figure it out. Is there a way to rule any of these out? After the purchase of the truck and the 2K in tires and obvious needs I am not in a position to throw 3-5 hundred at having injectors tested or 1000+ at a injector pump. I am not discounting the injectors, but as fast as fuel got through the system should I suspect the pumps first. Is there anywhere where I can have the Injector pump tested for seal leaks? After UV test it has remained parked, but I would really like to get something going with it.HELP!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisnva
I was hoping to get an update or a little guidance. My long story short is I bought a high mileage 3rd gen. No exterior leaks, no dancing oil filler cap and all reasonably clean rust free with all fluids at the correct level. Everything appears stock with the exception of a Smarty programmer set at level 3. new turbo and full set of injectors within 10,000 miles with receipts...Boost gauge and EGT levels normal when driven.

Fast forward two weeks ... Truck runs great, but time to do maintenance. I changed new fuel filter oil/filter and bearings in rear and six new shoes. Thinking all was maintenance I did not check the oil level before changing, but found approximately three quarts extra diesel smelling fluid. Without boring anyone with details of other things, the only fact I have is when I added uv dye to the fuel filter reservoir, it only took 45 seconds to pollute the oil all across the head and oil pan. After reading a few forums and a post I was told only two suspects.. Injectors or Injector pump. After reading this I'm adding the lift pump? I don't like throwing parts at a problem and would like to figure it out. Is there a way to rule any of these out? After the purchase of the truck and the 2K in tires and obvious needs I am not in a position to throw 3-5 hundred at having injectors tested or 1000+ at a injector pump. I am not discounting the injectors, but as fast as fuel got through the system should I suspect the pumps first. Is there anywhere where I can have the Injector pump tested for seal leaks? After UV test it has remained parked, but I would really like to get something going with it.HELP!
Post this in the 3rd gen section. Your truck is a bit different, and if I'm not mistaken, isn't your lift pump in your tank ? Pre 94 and a 3rd gen, I would assume are completely different from a design standpoint.

See here: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...estions-65940/

I'm sure the guys in the 3rd gen section know way more than here in the "oldie but goodie" section.
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (01-09-2018)