1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Exterior LEDs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Exterior LEDs.

Hey guys. I've been wanting to convert all of my exterior lights to LEDs. Most of the turn signal lights I'll probably end up having to wire resistors to. I don't particularly care to but it seems I may not have a choice. Unless, this flasher from Super Bright LEDs, will work. At least, they claim it will and therefore, no need for resistors. http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/779/833/

I've also been meaning to order a set of 1" round LED lights from Super Bright LEDs to replace the factory clearance lights in my rear fenders. These are a grommet mount and fit into only a 3/4" hole. From what I can tell, the holes for the existing factory lights in the rear fenders are small and square shaped, just for the wires to run through and seem to be smaller than 3/4". I think these would add a nice, modern touch to the truck.

After looking at the truck some more, I started wondering about the front fenders side marker lights. I was looking at either of the following assemblies (mostly, the one on the left). Both have about a 4" dimension from center-to-center of the mounting holes and an overall with of about 5". Does anybody happen to know the dimension of the holes in the fender for the factory light?

Then, I looked at my cab lights. Not the housings that originally came on a 1st gen. Some other kind, whose product I don't know. Then, I looked at my dad's 3rd gen. I wondered to myself "Hmmm ." With a little bit of work to open the holes a little more for the wiring and using the existing forward-most mounting hole, these will work. Then I can order a set of smoked LEDs from Recon.
Attached Thumbnails Exterior LEDs.-3rd-gen-lights.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Not sure if I like those 3rd gen units...would have to see the whole set ona 1st gen to make up my mind.

As for the other light...do you think those round units would gave good visibility..from the side? And I like the fender lights on the right...they seem to have more of a reflective portion then the others. If your light is out cars could still see you...some.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fender side marker light holes are 3/8" x 3 15/16" o.c. with a center hole 1 1/4 x 1 3/4".
For LEDs look to big truck aftermarket, like Big Rig Chrome Shop, Iowa80.com, Chrome shop Mafia and such. The round tail lights that I have gotten run on 12 volts.
Ray
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 AM

I have a variable load electronic flasher that I got at autozone and my truck flashes fine. I have all led lights in mine even the turn indicators in the dash are led.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
Hey guys. I've been wanting to convert all of my exterior lights to LEDs. Most of the turn signal lights I'll probably end up having to wire resistors to. I don't particularly care to but it seems I may not have a choice. Unless, this flasher from Super Bright LEDs, will work. At least, they claim it will and therefore, no need for resistors. http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/779/833/

I've also been meaning to order a set of 1" round LED lights from Super Bright LEDs to replace the factory clearance lights in my rear fenders. These are a grommet mount and fit into only a 3/4" hole. From what I can tell, the holes for the existing factory lights in the rear fenders are small and square shaped, just for the wires to run through and seem to be smaller than 3/4". I think these would add a nice, modern touch to the truck.

After looking at the truck some more, I started wondering about the front fenders side marker lights. I was looking at either of the following assemblies (mostly, the one on the left). Both have about a 4" dimension from center-to-center of the mounting holes and an overall with of about 5". Does anybody happen to know the dimension of the holes in the fender for the factory light?

Then, I looked at my cab lights. Not the housings that originally came on a 1st gen. Some other kind, whose product I don't know. Then, I looked at my dad's 3rd gen. I wondered to myself "Hmmm ." With a little bit of work to open the holes a little more for the wiring and using the existing forward-most mounting hole, these will work. Then I can order a set of smoked LEDs from Recon.

Jimbo,

I used the Maxxima lamps on mine,
I got my lamps from The Lighthouse in Santa Fe Springs Ca.

Name:  IMG_4509.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  60.2 KB

I mounted them in the existing holes using Expansion Nuts inserted into the holes,

Name:  IMG_4533.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4540.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  28.1 KB

and then securing them using 10x32x1¼ Stainless Steel Button Head screws.

Name:  IMG_4542.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  51.1 KB

And they fit perfectly.

And the rest of the story.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=166797

Jim
Old 09-16-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I have a variable load electronic flasher that I got at autozone and my truck flashes fine. I have all led lights in mine even the turn indicators in the dash are led.
Bill, do you happen to have the part number for that flasher? I swear I've heard that any electronic flasher should simulate the load of a incandescent bulbs in order for normal function of a LED bulbs. Never heard of a variable load flasher. Sounds like what I've been in need of.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 AM

I do not remember the part number but if I have time today I will try and see if there is a number on it.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Not sure if I like those 3rd gen units...would have to see the whole set ona 1st gen to make up my mind.

As for the other light...do you think those round units would gave good visibility..from the side? And I like the fender lights on the right...they seem to have more of a reflective portion then the others. If your light is out cars could still see you...some.
In the left fender lights, the entire inner part is a reflector. It may not give as wide a visible reflected area, but I have used taillights similar to those and they are still quite visible as a reflector.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I do not remember the part number but if I have time today I will try and see if there is a number on it.
Thanks, Bill. I searched VatoZone's site for "variable load flashers" and even looked in their list of all flashers with no luck.

Originally Posted by scot pa
In the left fender lights, the entire inner part is a reflector. It may not give as wide a visible reflected area, but I have used taillights similar to those and they are still quite visible as a reflector.
Thanks for the input! My thoughts exactly about those assemblies as well. I like that those ones have 12 high powered LEDs in them rather than 6 that the other has. I'm all about brightness/intensity when it comes to lighting.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Well I ordered up some lights a couple of weeks ago and got them last Friday.

Got the 1" round lights for the fenders.

And ordered these for the front fender markers. I also grabbed the components to build 2-way Weather Pack connectors for easy connections.

I pulled the factory lights out of the rear fenders and found that the existing hole is already just big enough to accept the 1" lights and grommet! I temporarily touched wires together with the running lights energized and, for being a 1 LED assembly, they put out a decent amount of light! Once I get them in for good, I'll have some pictures. Looking to get some more Weather Pack connectors for these as well.

I also got some 1156 replacement reverse lights. In my opinion the light output is awesome! Keep in mind, the running lights are off in the picture below! (click to enlarge)

I'm still trying to find a way to avoid having to either wire inline relays or resistors to simulate the load of an incandescent bulb in order to get rid of the "bulb out" indication which is nothing more than lighting up the turn signal lights in the dash when the running lights are active. Hopefully, like Bill, I can find variable load flashers for both the hazard and turn signal circuits to correct this.

Bill, are you out there? Wink, wink!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you drive a 1st gen there is no bulb out circuity or warnings. That came in the later model rounded trucks.

For a flasher just hit any parts store and tell them you need a no load flasher.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 PM

Well my turn signal indicators are on constantly when I switch my running lights on with LEDs in either the front or rear turn signal locations. That's what I'm defining as a "bulb out" indication.

They don't come on with standard incandescent bulbs.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 AM

Its being caused by the circuit connection between the front lower marker light and the front turn signals.

The turn signal and markers tie together in the front marker light. You need to split the harness by the front lower marker and put a one way diode in the turn signal side. That will stop the feed back from the marker lights.

I had the same problem when I installed 3x6 oval yellow LED tail/turn lights into my front turn signal housings.

As a test unplug the lower marker 194 bulb and see if the problem your seeing goes away.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM

So then why do I get the same results with the LEDs in the taillights only?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
So then why do I get the same results with the LEDs in the taillights only?
That I can't say. Mine never acted up till I did LED"s in the front turn signals.

edit

I had some time to think about this. Your getting cross feed before you did the front markers. Pull your trailer plug apart and see if debris has bridged across a couple of terminals. That would be about the only place you could cross feed for the rear lights.

Quick Reply: Exterior LEDs.