1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Engine shut down while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine shut down while driving

hello this is my first time writing so bare with me.<br> I have a 1991 250 dodge 4x4 with the diesel 178000 miles on it up till now no problems that I couldn't fix but now I have one.<br> Driving to work one morning truck started just fine temp around 30 or so about half way to work truck shut down like I turned off the key had it towed to our local cummins dealer and they cracked the fuel lines to see if it was geting fuel it was, but when they went to start it the ignition fell apart they put it backtogther and it started up so we though that what it was put new one it, 2 days later did the same thing called cummins they came out cracked lines it fired up check presher at lift pump it had 4.5 to 5 pounds so we replaced the lift pump arnt they supose to have 10 pounds?<br> well two days later did it again changed fuel filter hope this helps running out of ideas cant find any leaks where it could be loosing prime not sure what to do any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 12-01-2002, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Engine shut down while driving

Be sure and check the connections to your fuel shutoff solenoid. If you look at the back of the pump, there will be 2 wires attached to a spade terminal. Make sure the crimp on spades are good and tight and there is no corosion on the spades. The same thing you describe happend to me, and this was the culprit. At startup, the voltage pulls the magnet up in the solenoid, this allows fuel to be delivered to the delivery valve etc. If you loose voltage there, the magnet falls and fuel cannot be delivered. Just a guess, but worth checking in too.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:05 PM
Jrr

I agree with Okie on the solenoid, you can get the parts to redo your solenoid for about $50,00 from a pump shop. Cant remember size of wrench needed was a PIA. This happened to two friends first gens and it was the solenoid.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:51 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Just as an FYI... I THINK the 'trigger' voltage is 12vdc and the running 'maintainence' voltage is 10vdc. It sounds like the maintainence circuit is the one giving you trouble.<br>I don't think you can run a constant 12vdc &quot;for the time being&quot; but I may have this wrong.<br><br>Bob.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:43 PM

thank you for your help the diesel shop is replacing the part I dont have time or i would also how would i trace down the maintance circut? boy i hope this does the trick<br> thanks again for everybodys help
Old 12-04-2002, 08:33 PM

The same thing happened to me in Georgia, while taking a customer to lunch. On a hunch after reading all this stuff at night, I tryed some of the fixes, I giggled the two wires on the soleniod, it cranked and evidently I didn't look too much like a fool to him, we got the order. I remembered what daddy said, diesels won't run with out fuel, and won't shut off unless you kill it.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:09 PM

one more thing you try if electics are ok and it still does same thing pull your tank and repair your pickup line they can get a lil crack sometimes that will cause you heartache. mine did that at 230000 miles
Old 10-03-2003, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was innocently changing my fuel filter and didn't notice I disconnected the shutdown solenoid with one of my meathooks....certainly didn't want to start after I replaced and primed the filter...had me stumped for a bit...but as soon as I reconnected it...boom...she fired right up...sound familiar at all?..it may be electrical related...good luck.