1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Crewcab update...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Ben
Time to not put yourself through hell anymore.

I spent 9.5 hours yesterday, and 11 hours on Friday in the heat. This makes life much better, and can be used for BBQ, picnics , or just sitting in the shade..

A canopy and fan will change your life immensely. Anytime I work on the brick, or my other vehicles, the 24" drum fan and pop up canopy go into effect. They now sell the 36" and 48" drum fans. It's like working in 70 degree temps

Tractor supply, home cheapo, northern tool, global industrial supply all have them.

A note of caution about working in the heat with a fan on. Be sure to drink plenty of water and some gatorade while you're at it. I worked a day in a hanger with a big fan on me and got severely dehydrated. I had to spend the night in intensive care because of it. Not Fun.

Edwin
Old 07-07-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
A note of caution about working in the heat with a fan on. Be sure to drink plenty of water and some gatorade while you're at it. I worked a day in a hanger with a big fan on me and got severely dehydrated. I had to spend the night in intensive care because of it. Not Fun.

Edwin
That's good advice for anyone...I'm 72 and have diabetes plus a stent propping one artery open...I have to be aware of how I feel at all times to prevent another low blood glucose episode like the one that cost me my previous truck...It was 94° again today with 80% humidity...The RealFeel number was 103°...I got all the exposed wiring under my truck cased in split loom, then wired in new relays in the console for my new front lights...I ran the new wiring from the console to the left front headlight bucket...All that in 20 minute shifts with plenty of water and rest breaks...I'll try to finish up tomorrow...I need a nap......Ben
Old 07-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla
That's good advice for anyone...I'm 72 and have diabetes plus a stent propping one artery open...I have to be aware of how I feel at all times to prevent another low blood glucose episode like the one that cost me my previous truck...It was 94° again today with 80% humidity...The RealFeel number was 103°...I got all the exposed wiring under my truck cased in split loom, then wired in new relays in the console for my new front lights...I ran the new wiring from the console to the left front headlight bucket...All that in 20 minute shifts with plenty of water and rest breaks...I'll try to finish up tomorrow...I need a nap......Ben
Even people that have lived in Phoenix for years, really can't handle the heat, I am not one of them. Just before I came down to Mexico, about a month ago, I was climbing my favorite mountain in about 100 degree weather. That isn't really hot to me, but would kill, and does kill, several people every year. I came across a man sitting in the trail about a third of the way up. I asked him if he was ok and he said, I don't know, how much farther to the top. I said that he was about a third of the way. He had a pint of water, no hat, levis and street shoes on. I gave him some water and told him to head back down. He told me that he was in town for a convention and was staying at the Biltmore (nice) and that the hotel had told him that it was an easy hike and gave him a ride in their shuttle. It isn't an easy hike in the cool months and is a literal killer in the hot ones. I climb it anywhere from 45-90 times per summer, depending on if I am in town. I bring 3-1 liter bottles of water, 2 frozen solid, and 1 half frozen.I have cold water all the way up and down. I am also completely covered in light clothing and my bluetooth headphones and Iphone for entertainment. I also drink at least 4 liters of water per day, every day. I am 64 years old and can kick butt on people much younger than me up the mountain.I don't recommend it, but I see it as a way to outlive everybody BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...Mark P.S. It is Piestewa Peak, is 1.25 miles and about 1200 feet up. It is named after the first native American woman that was KIA ever, in the Iraq war, Lori Piestewa...I don't climb it in the cool months, it is literally a solid line up, very popular and I hate crowds, so I run for 8 cool months every year...

The following users liked this post:
nonrev (07-08-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
And now back to our regular programming....

My youngest daughter....16 now....loves old vintage stuff, fashion, decor etc and wanted an older car for her first vehicle. I found a 79 Mercury Zephyr we drove 10 hours round trip to go look at but it turned out to be in pretty rough shape compared to the pics and info I was given. So continued the hunt and eventually found a 1988 Aries K car with a 2.5L motor, auto, A/C, buckets and am/fm WITH cassette!! One owner car, always garaged and said to have 183K original KM's.....but I think it's only 83K by the condition of the car. Car was almost 10 hours from me but had a friend who lives close by go look at it for me....said this thing is still brand new and worth the slightly higher asking price.

So loaded up patches and hooked to the trailer we made the trip down to go get it. It was everything it was touted to be so the purchase was made!

Original owner and the car...

Crewcab update...-sdx4g6ch.jpg

Pics oft he car....

Crewcab update...-79iuy1mh.jpg

Crewcab update...-qd0rxsch.jpg

She tossed in the pillows for free....

Crewcab update...-ai2dozkh.jpg

Crewcab update...-ugnbalth.jpg
Blue Goose (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 PM

Car drives amazing not a single squeak, rattle of clunk and is smooth as silk going down the road!!

Couple neat things on the car....original dealer plate on the back.

Crewcab update...-tnpqgd9h.jpg

And can't say I have ever seen these still intact and in place...

Crewcab update...-tvzmuxgh.jpg
Blue Goose (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 04:35 PM

Loaded up and at hotel for the night....

Crewcab update...-ipdqqvoh.jpg

Crewcab update...-8s1cohoh.jpg

Patches made the drive home with no problems, we did 1517Km's in two days and about 18 hours of driving for me.....Pulling the loaded trailer home I got 16.5 mpg through the mountains!

Only issue I had was leaving a lot and pulling out onto the road the trailer jack got bent backwards..... Oh well there are worse things that could have happened so i will take this with a shrug and figure out how to repair it later.

Crewcab update...-4lwb79xh.jpg
Blue Goose (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:08 PM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
Very nice find
Old 07-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith

Edwin
Agreed. I usually do 2 Gatorade drinks throughout the day, and about ( 8 )22 oz. Squeeze bottles of water as well. When I fail to drink the Gatorade, I'll pay the price of severe leg cramping during that following night. Nothing more fun than waking up at 3 am with both hamstring in cramp mode...
Old 07-14-2019, 07:07 PM

When I fail to drink the Gatorade, I'll pay the price of severe leg cramping during that following night. Nothing more fun than waking up at 3 am with both hamstring in cramp mode...
I get horrible leg cramps almost nightly...I never heard of Gatorade being a preventative...I wonder what ingredient is active for that purpose......Ben
Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Potassium, Magnesium. And salt imbalance.

.or so I'm told

I all I know is when I get enough , I don't wake up freaking out from the cramps.

Leg cramps can be a sign of a medication you are taking is affecting your nervous system. Drugs for prostate, cholesterol and other common ssues for health maintenance can cause severe cramping.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:24 PM

Good info...Thanks......Ben
Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
That's it TC...keep her in a Mopar. Nice find.
thrashingcows (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Potassium, Magnesium. And salt imbalance.

.or so I'm told

I all I know is when I get enough , I don't wake up freaking out from the cramps.

Leg cramps can be a sign of a medication you are taking is affecting your nervous system. Drugs for prostate, cholesterol and other common ssues for health maintenance can cause severe cramping.

Geez,
and I thought I was the only one falling apart, I get leg cramps, foot cramps all of the time, they get so painful I cannot even get out of bed, when I do I am beating my foot on the ground trying to make it go away,

I get them when I am driving and my daughter sees me pounding my foot on the floorboard trying to make it stop.

The worst one I had was when I was deep inside and MRI that ended up in a painful panic attack.

The only thing that I found even gives relief is Theraworx, a cream you rub on your muscles and it really works.

Its main ingredient is Magnesium Sulfate

Mine got bad from the steroids from all of the epidurals I have had. I have had 16 of them to date and it is one of the side effects of the drug.

Jim

Old 07-15-2019, 07:32 AM

Back when I still had some medical insurance my doctor prescribed quinine sulfate which worked well when taken daily...260 grain tablets would cost me about $80 a month now, so I put up with the pain......Ben
Old 07-15-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Geez,
and I thought I was the only one falling apart, I get leg cramps, foot cramps all of the time, they get so painful I cannot even get out of bed, when I do I am beating my foot on the ground trying to make it go away,

I get them when I am driving and my daughter sees me pounding my foot on the floorboard trying to make it stop.

The worst one I had was when I was deep inside and MRI that ended up in a painful panic attack.

The only thing that I found even gives relief is Theraworx, a cream you rub on your muscles and it really works.

Its main ingredient is Magnesium Sulfate

Mine got bad from the steroids from all of the epidurals I have had. I have had 16 of them to date and it is one of the side effects of the drug.

Jim
You could have a magnesium deficiency. Try soaking in epsom salts to see if that helps.

I used to get bad leg cramps that would make me scream. I think it was an electrolyte imbalance but I could never get the docs at the VA to track it down. Finding out such things is not standard of care and doesn't make Big Pharma any money.

Eventually I got a set of supplements that works with my meds and I haven't had an episode in years. If you have a doc that will cooperate have ALL of your electrolytes checked and figure out what is wrong.

Edwin
NJTman (07-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Crewcab update...