1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Crewcab update...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Got a bunch of stuff done on the truck last night.

I was going to rebuild the steering coupler since it was getting bad and I had over 45* movement in the steering wheel before it would affect the tires, but I was out looking at the parts truck and it had a steering shaft with a large U-joint so decided to clean it up and use that one instead. I also installed the new drag link.

Crewcab update...-9ufsx3jh.jpg

Also since it's been 5 years and over 100K km's I wanted to change my tranny fluid and filter. I run one of those string filters that sit inside a housing on the RH PTO location....works very well.

Crewcab update...-xezzoxih.jpg

Crewcab update...-g4n34m7h.jpg

A comment by Oliver stuck in my head that he runs the same fluid in the NV4500 and NP205...which makes some sense to me. So decide to also drain my transfer case and move the older Castrol Syntorque from the tranny into the TC.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
sounds like a '71 Chevy pick up Dad had once. You could turn the wheel from 3 to 9 and nothing happened. I like the U Joint design a lot better.You all healed up TC?
Old 07-20-2019, 03:23 PM

Nope but probably at 75-85% or so, I can get a few things done if I take my time and take it easy.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:25 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows

I was going to rebuild the steering coupler since it was getting bad and I had over 45* movement in the steering wheel before it would affect the tires, but I was out looking at the parts truck and it had a steering shaft with a large U-joint so decided to clean it up and use that one instead. I also installed the new drag link.

Also since it's been 5 years and over 100K km's I wanted to change my tranny fluid and filter. I run one of those string filters that sit inside a housing on the RH PTO location....works very well.

A comment by Oliver stuck in my head that he runs the same fluid in the NV4500 and NP205...which makes some sense to me. So decide to also drain my transfer case and move the older Castrol Syntorque from the tranny into the TC.
Filter in a stick?

Well, I never.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Filter in a stick?

Well, I never.
From the looks of that filter, it sounds like a heck of a good idea......Ben
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
From the looks of that filter, it sounds like a heck of a good idea......Ben
I was quite surprised on how much it filtered out....guess it gets dirtier in there then I thought.
NJTman (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Well the death wobble is gone....YEAH!! But the only issue is that the steering wheel is rotated about 45* to the right. The steering shaft I installed was a home made unit I think so the alignment is off. I'm pretty sure my steering wheel and shaft have a master spline so I can't just pull the wheel and re-position it straight.
nonrev (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Where can you get one of these filters and how do they work?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:26 PM

I bought mine about 10 years ago from Quad4x4...now torqueking. Here is a link to there cooler and filter page....

https://torqueking.com/category/coolers-filters/

See they have changed the filter to be part of the coolers now, mine is a simple tin mousing that bolts to the side of the tranny with the filter inside. How they work...the filter has to be on the right side of the tranny so that the fluid gets spun into the filter during operation. It's a passive filter system, the fluid slowly drains through the filter and back into the tranny. It will eventually catch most of the debris and other gunk, just not in the same way as a pressurized oil filter system.
NJTman (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 06:57 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by BHD
I like heat. I don't have to plow it, or scrape it off my windshield.
screw you, pal.

I'd take the snow any day over this wet crotch event (and not the good wet crotch you're envisioning)

Old 07-23-2019, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
screw you, pal.

I'd take the snow any day over this wet crotch event (and not the good wet crotch you're envisioning)

I call wet crotch....swallz, obviously meaning sweaty ballz..... Not sure if you know about drywear type fabrics or not but there are companies that make underwear/briefs in this stuff and it is life changing! I had a pair given to me 6-7 years ago through a promo at a store and decided to try them out....all I can say is that I have never suffered from swallz since. I have a bunch of friends who have switched to these at my recommendation and every one of them has been stunned by the comfort.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:16 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Got to be better than putting mulberry leaves in your pockets...
Old 08-30-2019, 03:54 PM

Rolled up another 5K km's on the truck...365K km's now...so swapped in another new filter, that's over 15K km's since about April, rolling some miles this year. Also decided to change the air filter since I couldn't remember when I did it last but was sure it could not have been more then a year and a half....well I put the date and mileage on my filters when I install them so I was a bit surprised when I pulled the air filter out and I installed it back in November of 2016 and mileage was 302K km's. So 33 months and 63K km's it was definitely time.

Crewcab update...-5osyvtdh.jpg

Also put some new summer skins of the truck, the old ones were worn down to almost slicks. Couldn't afford high end tires this time since I have had to buy 2 good sets of winter tires for the daughters cars since their winter driving safety is very important. But these tires are made by Cooper but are sold through Canadian tire under their Motomaster brand, and they were having a sale on the 235/85/16 tires so got a screaming deal on them as well. Read a bunch of reviews and they all said they were pretty decent tires of thread wear and ride quality....we will see I guess.

Crewcab update...-sm8gh2nh.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
NJTman (08-30-2019), StealthDiesel (08-30-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts

TC.. You have obviously had that steering shaft on your truck for some time, with no way for it for it to expand or contract is it causing you any problems in your steering column
Old 08-31-2019, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by nonrev

TC.. You have obviously had that steering shaft on your truck for some time, with no way for it for it to expand or contract is it causing you any problems in your steering column
No issues at all, there is still some movement in the lower section of the steering column where it mounts up to the intermediate shaft, but really other then sagging cab mounts and maybe a little deflection in the frame under there is not really much chance of movement, plus if you look at our original steering shafts they did not have any provision for a collapsible shaft.

Quick Reply: Crewcab update...