1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Carlisle PA. Mopar weekend of awesomeness

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
NJTman all joking aside my wife stopped going a few years back as in her own words " You have such a short track mind that she got mad at me for not partaking in conversations that she tried to have". I like to get there on Fridays as soon as the gates open at 8am and hitting the majority of the vendors before the heat really starts. Last year I was pushing my dad around in a wheel chair which not only slowed me down it wore me out. I love Carlisle every year for the opportunity to buy goodies.
The following 2 users liked this post by freight train:
nonrev (07-17-2018), oliver foster (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by freight train
NJTman all joking aside my wife stopped going a few years back as in her own words " You have such a short track mind that she got mad at me for not partaking in conversations that she tried to have". I like to get there on Fridays as soon as the gates open at 8am and hitting the majority of the vendors before the heat really starts. Last year I was pushing my dad around in a wheel chair which not only slowed me down it wore me out. I love Carlisle every year for the opportunity to buy goodies.
No problemo, senior.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would have enjoyed meeting, or hanging with other DTR members for a few minutes, at least. Parts, to me are great to have, fun to look for, but at the midpoint in my life, it's the interactions with others that has more meaning to me, at least.

Glad you found what you were looking for, and quite admirable you , spending that time with your dad, being worn out. Once he's gone, though, that tiredness becomes a cherished memory....just like when I, Ollie, Tim, Charlotte, my wife and dogs do every year. Next year my oldest dog, Ladybug, will be gone, but I'll have the awesome memory of her at Carlisle, acting all goofy, meeting Charlotte, Ollie and the gang.

No worries, my friend...
The following 3 users liked this post by NJTman:
MrFusion (07-18-2018), nonrev (07-17-2018), oliver foster (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
He would have ignored you as his eyes were filled with parts, parts, and more parts. No room in there for a guy with a General Lee shirt, and boonie hat.

Good seeing ya, Tim. Did your girlfriends show up after I left? I hear they made a scene at the show, looking for ya !

Good seeing you and Cathy too!

The girls were making a scene b/c I skipped out on them at the diner and left them with the bill. Heck I don't make THAT much money.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Freight train they have scooter rentals at gate 3 if that will help you dad. An added bonus is that you can also rent a landscape cart to put goodies in and tow it behind the scooter!

While I enjoy the show field and the vendor area I, like Tman, go more for the socializing with the usual DTR suspects and some other long time friends that are there every year (the crowd around gate 1).
Old 07-18-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
This year was a first for me, for a show I have gone most years for 20 years, where I literally had no parts for projects that I needed to shop for.
Truth be told I also really had no room in the RC for anything large anyway.

I have all the parts I need already hunted down for the next 5 12V builds I have planned.

All the parts for finishing up the 12V, 47RH 2wd '78 RC build I started last winter...Check
Parts to swap the '80 RC over to 3/4 ton axles, 6 BT , 5 speed 4x4 if the gasser 360 gives up the ghost...Check

Stuff for the '85 W-350 crew cab Air Force rig if I get there...Check

The rust free '95 2500 12V 4x4 with 400,000 miles from Colorado that needs a NV-4500, a new bed and interior that I want to turn into a 3500...Check
All the parts to build the two '92 [one from Cali one from AZ] auto, ex cab D-250s, 12Vs just the way I want....Check

I was there to take some time off, hang out with my daughter and our Mopar friends. I also wanted people to check out the RC and ask questions about the build. It was a great to have some time to chat with some awesome people we only see once a year.

I did pick up a new mini Oxy. Act. torch set up for the shop that cleanly cuts things with minimal heat. I have been checking them out at the show for three years and I finally broke down and dropped the $400 for the set up. It has two separate tips when used for cutting. It uses about 4 PSI and make super thin cuts.

I look forward to learning how to use it, I want it for cutting out the floor pans of the '78 RC build. Walter needs it for his '85 RC for some sheetmetal work as well.
It also welds up steel and aluminum with the proper wire.

I also re-upped my subscription to my favorite mag., Mopars Collectors Guide, and got my free T-shirt like I have been doing for years

I also bought a case of saw-z-all blades from a buddy for $50.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Sounds like you fellows had a grand time. I wish I lived closer. When the wife retires we'll be able to move out of commiefornia and closer to the east coast and maybe I can make it up there before I die. I would love to hobnob with yall and maybe sneak half a beer.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (07-19-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:34 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
Sorry I missed y'all. In my defense I was out procuring more Mopar paraphernalia and such.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by BHD
Sorry I missed y'all. In my defense I was out procuring more Mopar paraphernalia and such.

Do we know you??

You sound like a railroad guy we,hung out with...

Old 07-22-2018, 08:29 AM

Since I have gotten a few questions on my new shop tool...
I bought the DHC 2000 torch set up from Detroit Torch.
I need a coupler for my regulator to line connection, to get it up and running. It looks like it should help me get all sorts of projects done.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:17 AM

I got the torch up and running.
It will take some real practice to be as good as the guy demonstrating the tool at the show, but I can tell it will be a great option too have.
It makes quick cuts with limited heat so the sheetmetal doesn't warp from the heat.
So far I am just practicing making cuts on an old rusty fender.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I got the torch up and running.
It will take some real practice to be as good as the guy demonstrating the tool at the show, but I can tell it will be a great option too have.
It makes quick cuts with limited heat so the sheetmetal doesn't warp from the heat.
So far I am just practicing making cuts on an old rusty fender.

Was curious to see how that was working out.

How about some photos of what you're practicing ?

With the torch..... not anything that's considered inappropriate.