1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cab Corners on extended cab 93

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab Corners on extended cab 93

To rust or not too rust? <br>I know the 1st gen xcabs rotted out pretty good on the cab corners. But never having one I do not know where the rust generates from...is there a seam that it starts in or does it start from the cab floor area? Most of you know that from my other post I am looking for a 1st gen xcab. <br><br>One plus is I am looking out west (no road salt). Is there a way to prevent the rust from coming (especially if it is rust free now)? Such as buying undercoating and spraying the under side of the cab near the rocker panels?<br><br>I appreciate any feedback.<br><br>Michael
Old 04-03-2003, 04:41 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Re:Cab Corners on extended cab 93

I don't think it matters extended or not. There are a lot of seems under there to catch everything. My reg cab rockers are gone, corners going. I'm not sure they actually painted the bottom, probably just primer, which would allow rust.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:09 AM

Interesting. The corners on my club cab are fine, but the rockers are going fast. There is no sign of rust anywhere else on the body, just the rockers. I bought new rockers from Dodge and just got a small MIG welder for installing them, so I'll be tackling that project soon.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:58 AM

hey jeeper how u going to install the rockers r u just going to slid them over the olds or u cutting them all the way out? me and my dad did this to a old truck he was readoing we could slid the new one right over the old one but then thought it would make more rust on the new one so we cut them all the way out it wasnt that bad of a job for not being body guys!
Old 04-07-2003, 12:37 PM

I'm no bodyman either. I'd rather build 12 engines than replace my rockers, but that's another story. I plan to cut out the old and totally replace them. Hopefully, I can make the body last as long as the Cummins!
Old 04-08-2003, 03:34 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

[quote author=Jeeper link=board=9;threadid=13096;start=0#125139 date=1049737047]<br>I'm no bodyman either. I'd rather build 12 engines than replace my rockers, but that's another story. I plan to cut out the old and totally replace them. Hopefully, I can make the body last as long as the Cummins! <br>[/quote]<br>That'll be good practice for when you install mine.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:45 PM

[quote author=Redleg link=board=9;threadid=13096;start=0#125648 date=1049834041]<br>[quote author=Jeeper link=board=9;threadid=13096;start=0#125139 date=1049737047]<br>I'm no bodyman either. I'd rather build 12 engines than replace my rockers, but that's another story. I plan to cut out the old and totally replace them. Hopefully, I can make the body last as long as the Cummins! <br>[/quote]<br>That'll be good practice for when you install mine. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Ummm.... how 'bout I just let you borrow my welder?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:11 AM

Jeeper, when Redleg is done with your welder, can I borrow it next to fix my panels. ;D ;D Both Rockers and Cab Corners are pretty bad on my truck. I have just given up on it and hopefully some day, I will get a complete Cab &amp; Bed from down south somewhere. Bed shouldn't be too bad to swap over but the Cab will probably be a pain.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:48 AM

Uh-oh, you guys are gonna put my welder on a waiting list like a KDP jig, aren't ya? I can see it travelling across the rust belt now. ;D
Old 05-28-2003, 08:58 AM

Well, I finally found some time between everything else to get to my rocker project. Last weekend, I cut out and replaced the driver's side. The job went better than I expected. The plan was to do it right, or not at all, and I'm happy with the results. Taking my time getting the right tools and parts helped. The welder worked out great. Basically, I spent less for the welder and parts than it was going to cost to have someone else do it - plus I get to keep the welder. Another very helpful tool is the air die grinder with cutting wheel. This weekend, I'll tackle the other side. Here's a pic of the &quot;good&quot; side.<br><br>Who's next on the list for the welder?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:09 AM

Jeeper, Did you purchase the complete rocker panel from somewhere? Does it go the complete length of the door from the front fender all the way down and around the cab corner? I haven't been able to find ny that long, mostly just a quick panel fix. On mine, I could place my complete hand up through the panel. I placed some duck tape (got to love that) over the hole, then used instant foam (insulation) to fill in the panel some, let it dry for a day, remove tape and it will be expanded right to the tape, then I fiberglassed as much as possible to have it look somewhat clean. Body fill in the little patches of glass and paint it. It looks ok for a 20/20 paint job, (going by at 20 mph, it looks good from 20 feet. LOL). I would like to replace the complete panel if possible though, this is only temporary. I may just some day down the road buy a complete cab from down south, road salt just loves my truck.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:21 AM

I bought the rockers from the Dodge dealer. They are full length and include the rounded cab corner. Mine's a club cab, so I had to trim the corner off. Dealer's computer had a note that said &quot;modify for club cab&quot; or something to that effect. Works out fine since there's a factory seam there anyway. I talked to a friend who owns a body shop about it, and he said not to waste money on cheap aftermarket body parts. These fit perfect and needed no filler. I asked the parts guy if he could bring the price down, and he gave me 10% off without a blink. They were just under $100 each.<br><br>Funny story since you mentioned being able to put your hand through your rocker: A few weeks ago, I watched a bird hop up into my rocker and check it out. I believe he/she was eying it for a place to make a nest. That was the last straw - it was time to fix it. ;D
Old 05-28-2003, 10:49 AM

Thanks. I like the bird story.... LMAO.<br><br>I haven't thought about going to Dodge. JC Whitney didn't have my full Club Cab rockers and my body shop friend could only get the reg. cab rockers. I will give the ******* a call today.