1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

brake problems- help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
brake problems- help

Guys,

So my truck all of a sudden (ok someone else worked on it 2 weeks ago), is violently pulling to the right. I will pull the caliper and check things- but the rotor on the inside face is showing some grooving or something. OK my online search basically says:
1) sticking or bad caliper linkage- humm, ok I can verify the slides are greased.
2) sticky, scored piston. Yea those are ~10-20 a caliper. I can just order another one..

My thought additional is that a bad brake line internally creating a check valve..but there is no mention of it. The pads were quite new D250 wagner extreme metallic for HD vehicles. I was thinking as pads are cheap ~ $20/rockauto, to do a new rotor (again), replace the pads, rotor on that side, and rhs caliper and hose.

I'd like comments and advice- I'm pretty good wrench, but honestly I have never had a problem with this before *EVER*

Michael
Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Received 563 Likes on 412 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam4
Guys,

So my truck all of a sudden (ok someone else worked on it 2 weeks ago), is violently pulling to the right. I will pull the caliper and check things- but the rotor on the inside face is showing some grooving or something. OK my online search basically says:
1) sticking or bad caliper linkage- humm, ok I can verify the slides are greased.
2) sticky, scored piston. Yea those are ~10-20 a caliper. I can just order another one..

My thought additional is that a bad brake line internally creating a check valve..but there is no mention of it. The pads were quite new D250 wagner extreme metallic for HD vehicles. I was thinking as pads are cheap ~ $20/rockauto, to do a new rotor (again), replace the pads, rotor on that side, and rhs caliper and hose.

I'd like comments and advice- I'm pretty good wrench, but honestly I have never had a problem with this before *EVER*

Michael
What kind of work did the other guy do? A leaking wheel cylinder can do this. People think that oil or grease will cause brakes to slip and slide, but the opposite is true, they seize. Pull the wheel on the side it is going to and see if it is wet...Mark
Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 AM

He replaced the wheel bearings on the front. There is accelerated wear on the inner surface of that brake rotor/disc.

Would't grease give slippage- like on the other side. Let me go pull the pad out and see what/if I can determine anything...

WHY did I ever outsource. This happens EVERYTIME!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 563 Likes on 412 Posts
He replaced the wheel bearings on the front. There is accelerated wear on the inner surface of that brake rotor/disc.

Would't grease give slippage- like on the other side. Let me go pull the pad out and see what/if I can determine anything...

Nope, grease causes the brakes to grab, this could be your problem. Get some brake cleaner and clean the pads, rotors, drums and shoes real good...Mark
Old 10-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Will do,

If it does fix it. Looks like phenolic caliper pistons can be sticky.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 1,333 Likes on 863 Posts

This is why i try and do everything myself. I don't need to pay someone to do a crappy job...I can do that all by myself...
Old 10-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Well, I get overloaded or busy...

Anyway, it never seems to work out. Yes, I'm a darn good mechanic and that seems to make me almost never happy with other's work. I did the front suspension and went to effort to use a press at work. But, it was easier than trying to find a new/used control arm, sandblasting and repainting.

It's always salt in my wounds fixing something after paying more than I think it should cost to do a repair.

Michael