1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Back to Square One with Bleeding Injector Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Back to Square One with Bleeding Injector Lines

I had to pull the IP again to replace the oring on the distributor head. I tried bleeding the lines and same as last time, I get fuel on most lines (but not much) and only bubbly froth on a couple (same problem as a couple months ago). When I try to bleed again the engine has to rotate several revolutions before I get a spray again (is this normal). I tried my trick that worked last time where I sprayed diesel into the turbo and the engine started right away that time. It didn't work at all this time. One problem I see is that number 5 injector is leaking (line is tight). When I rotate the engine to bleed the lines, every time the injector has a compression stroke a burst of vapor is ejected from the base of the injector. My question is, could the injectors be so bad that they just wont bleed. There has to be a reason why so many people are haveing trouble bleeding the VE systems. My engine ran fine once I got it started last time (problem was that if it sit overnight I had to either crank it forever or pump it up at the LP}.Hence the reason for repairing the only leak I found. I've bled a lot of Cummins engines in the Army (people that can't or wont remember to refuel at 1/2 a tank or thought the other tank had fuel) without ever having a problem, so what could be different on this engine? By the way, that #5 injector started leaking while the IP was off the truck for the distributor reseal.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
You probably need to pull the injectors and replace the copper washers that seal them to the head.
Also when bleeding the lines, just barely loosen them. If the fittings are too loose you won't hit the pop pressure of the injector and it won't start.
The following 3 users liked this post by mhuppertz:
Bob L (10-21-2018), nonrev (10-21-2018), searcher (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
When you had the head off to replace the O-ring did you make sure that the control collar/sleeve was hooked properly to the tension lever? See pic....

If that is not hooked up you will never get any pressure in the injector lines.
The following users liked this post:
searcher (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I checked the control collar when I was having the same problem bleeding the system last time I pulled the pump for a reseal. It was engaged with the lever. I elected not to change the head seal (big mistake) at that time. This time I only loosened the screws enough to access the distributor head ring. Thanks thrashingcows.
I'm going to re-bleed again this afternoon and Ill try to barely crack the injectors. Thanks mhuppertz, I'll order some washers and get ready to change them. I did have seepage around 2 injectors before this IP pull. Saw that a lot with diesels after a re-bleed and they usually seal off themselves. Anything else I can do with the injectors pulled?