1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anybody Have a Dumpbed on Their Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody Have a Dumpbed on Their Truck?

Howdy All,

I just got a new (to me) 8ft fleetside bed for my truck (thanks Mark!) and I want to hinge it and make it a dumpbed. I have numerous hydralic cylinders and a big honkin' power unit, so I'm all set from that perspective.

The welding and fabrication won't be a problem, but I was wondering if anybody has this type set-up on their truck, or has done one in the past?
I know they used to sell plans on how to do this in the back of Popular Science when I was a Pup...but since the sheetmetal has gotten so thin nowadays, the prefered method is putting a "dumpliner" inside the bed.
I don't plan to use it all the time (like commercially), so I'm not worried about tearing-up the 'new' bed...

I'm sure I can figure it out myself, but if someone has done this, or knows where I could find a set of the drawings on how to do this, I'm thinkin' it would make it go a WHOLE lot faster and easier.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Vinny
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not quite sure I understand, you want to make the stock bed into a dumpbed or you have something else? Sorry for the what might seem to be a dumb question
Old 03-13-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Vinny,

If you want to use the stock bed, you really should use a scissors type hoist, or run the cylinders near vertical (which is hard to do). Otherwise you are asking the bed to withstand too much stress when dumping. Northern Hydraulics sells a conversion kit with hinges and a scissor hoist -- you might want to check it out as something to start copying from . . .

I put a dump insert on my truck -- with the plan to jettison the bed at some point to save a little weight. Too much to do, not enough time.

Good luck, it will be a cool modification.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
there are also expen$ive in bed hydrolic dump box slide-ins
Old 03-14-2006, 08:28 AM

Howdy,

No dumb questions around here...

Correct, I want to hinge the stock bed at the back and put in a lift to make it a dump bed.

Alec, I was sorta' thinkin the same thing...
In "real" dump trucks they use a multi-stage cyl so it can be near vertical and still store under the bed at rest...

The scissor-jack idea sounds good...that never occured to me. I'll check-out NH.

The hinges I figure I can make out of a couple different diameters of heavy wall pipe and some steel plate.

Vinny
Old 03-14-2006, 06:44 PM

The scissor jack style lift is the standard people use in the kits. I've been interested in those things for a while... Are they worth it? I'm in need of a dumper for my work, and I'd love to make it work on this truck.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:36 PM

vinny, did the same thing to my truck...the kit was the same but i used it on my flat bed. I have pics. in my gallery. give it a look and pm me if you have any questions. DAN.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:41 AM

The show TRUCKS! just did one on a F150 last weekend, it used an air bag to lift and lower the bed. He also relocated the fuel filler hose to the wheelwell. I hope this helps, good luck, let us know how it works out and $$. Might put that in my "things to dream" list.

Michael