1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Another mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another mod

Ok I thing I'm done for a while. Well I'm told so anyway

Got the exhaust housing change out from the 21 to the 16 cm.
Oh, hey Dave your right. Take the turbo off the engine and do it on the bench for sure.

Anyway took er out and she runs just fine. Now let me tell ya what I have done and if you would tell me where I should go from here to tune for around town and towing a 12k fifth wheel.

1.5 cw power adj.
All the way out for the smoke screw. 4 ccw
120* diaphram
1/4 star wheel.

I am still gettin a bit of smoke. Not sure boost is any better but haven't been out with it to much to test.

If I go to 1/2 turn on the star will that give more smoke? What should it do for the performance?

What would happen if I take that nylon collar that is under the diaphram off?

Is there anything else I can do to get more power with what my setup is now?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-14-2003, 03:08 AM

Re:Another mod

Dont leave the fiber washer out. You can take a micrometer or dial calipers and file it down to about .090. that will let the cone drop as far as possible in relation to the fuel pin that rides on the cone. I filed mine to .080 and I think it goes a little beyond max pin travel.
The star wheel will make plenty of smoke if adjusted to the bottom. That is something you would have to play with to see what you want. I adjusted mine back toward the top for less smoke but it still spools the turbo quite quickly.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:46 AM

I only have the star wheel in 1/4 turn. Should I go to the power adj to bring down the smoke? I figure if it's smokein it's not burnin fuel so closeing down on the power adj should clear the smoke and not effect power. Is that right?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you still have a lot of smoke at the top end, you should back off the power screw. If you still have heavy smoke while the turbo is still spooling up, you can back off on the star wheel. If you are smoking heavy right off idle, back off the smoke screw. A little extra smoke while the turbo is spooling is OK because you need to add fuel to make boost. This results in a little extra smoke until the turbo spools up. A light haze of smoke all the way from idle up to full power would be ideal if your EGT's aren't getting too high.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:03 PM

Thanks that was what I was lookin for. I am fine until I get into it a bit then she smokes. I can clear the smoke by gettin off the throttle. If I stay in the throttle she will smoke to the gov. I guess I have to back off the power maybe a quarter turn.

This is the question I was trying to get the answers to before. I know you guys weren't sure what I was askin but this is it. If it does this, then back off or increase that.

Ok smoke all the time back off power screw. Smoke while spooling up back off star wheel. I'll start with the power screw.

Boy I love that turbo sound. Had a guy come out of Home Depot this afternoon to look at the truck. He said it sounded like it could pull a house down. He said he never heard one sound so healthy. ;D ;D ;D
Old 08-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, that 21 cm housing spins the turbo so slow you'd hardly know it was there. I especially love the spool down sound when you're pulling up to a red light. That and the sweet symphony of running it up through the gears make it all worthwhile. It's like having a chihuahua-sized big rig. ;D
Old 08-14-2003, 08:03 PM

[quote author=wannadiesel link=board=9;threadid=18370;start=0#msg172683 date=1060901888]
It's like having a chihuahua-sized big rig. ;D
[/quote]

I actually had a big rig driver tell me the other day that he could hear the turbo on my truck now and it was sounding good. ;D Gotta love it when someone who hears a turbo spinning all day long tells ya your rig is sounding good!

Carl
Old 08-15-2003, 01:31 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Think of the starwheel as a "timer"..... the higher the starwheel/timer is cranked UP the more time (boost) will be needed before it allows the afc/cone to start dropping down.
The full fuel screw sends fuel to the entire power band, and a majority of the increase is sent to the low - low/mid range.
The smoke screw does tweak zero boost/low boost smoke but it also serves to provide the initial "shot" of fuel to help spoolup.
The cone is your method of controlling the RATE at which fueling increases...

Looking at it that way has helped me make some sense of these darn things....

I hope that helps, along with the other guys stuff it should give you a good general overview.

Pastor Bob.
Our Lady Of Acceleration Church... ;D