3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To Mod or not to mod.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Mod or not to mod.....

I'm looking at a HO or 600 w/ 6 spd, possibly 4.10s......

I don't really want chip it to avoid warranty hassles and ensure reliability. (not that chips are bad, just would like to avoid them right off of the bat)

Anyway--- questions:

Will these trucks hold 80 mph on cruise up and down everything (like 10,000+' passes) in 6th? SRW btw

Can I tow my 10,000 lb trailer up the same passes at 75 mph? (can be in fifth at redline)

I want the truck to be easier to drive then my gassers which shift to 3rd (autos) on every good size incline empty, and are in 2nd redline just trying to tow small trailers......

Or will I need a chip and to watch my EGTs to acomplish this?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2004, 10:12 AM

It might?

Just CHIP IT!!!
Intake , Exhaust , Guages and you can do anything you wish
You know you want to chip it
just do it
Old 07-13-2004, 11:08 AM

Ahh. That is the question.

I am fighting the urge to mod like an old crack head. I would love more power, but the thought of kissing my warranty goodbye (despite what the dealer says) on a 3 month old truck is getting the better of me. Like I have discovered on everything else with these trucks, nothing and I mean NOTHING is black and white, it's all grey. Doesn't matter if its tires, intakes, "chips", or warranty coverage, ect.... I've never seen anything like it in all my years of putting aftermarket parts on all my toys. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't answer exactly as I have the 48RE and not the 6spd, but:

I towed a 10k lb fifth wheel from about 1200' to 8500' in less than 50 mi thru a lot of hairpin turns.

I never felt any lack of power.

I didn't encounter any inclines that I couldn't have pulled at 65mph in tow/haul (i.e. OD off) and many were 6* or more.

My truck only had 2000mi on it so it's not yet broken in and it's still bone stock.

With a 6spd, you'll be able to better optimize your power curve/speed and the 4.10s will help as well on those passes.

Give it a shot. If you're not happy, there are several very stealthy bombs on the market already (VA, Predator, etc.) but those would require gauges. Just make sure to take them off before visiting your dealership for service.

Neil
Old 07-13-2004, 03:49 PM

Okay and thats the next question, you mena take the chip off right?

I intend on runnign gauges even stock so that when I do chip it, I know what numbers it originally ran.....

Will dealers fuss about that?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:34 AM

It depends on your dealer. Some assume that since you have guages that you have begun BOMBing. You may want to talk to the dealership you deal with and get their thoughts before you start. Some dealers even install the BOMBs while others will report you to Cummins so your warranty gets voided... It's a risk but one that many of us have taken. Once the BOMB bug bites you've had it!! When I got my truck I promised myself that it would remain completely stock. Now look at me! I've got more parts arriving today and some on backorder. And yes, NJM means take the fueling box off before you take the truck in to the dealer. I also remove my drop-in AFE filter and put my slightly used stock unit back in.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:21 AM

I have towed an 8,000 pound trailer over Eisenhower and Vail passes in Colorado on I-70 at around 75 MPH in fifth with NO chip and No problem. My truck is similar to the truck you describe, but mine has 3.73's.

If you are planning on running in the 80 MPH range I would skip the 4.10's unless you are going to install over sized tires. IMHO with the setup you describe you certainly don't need 4.10's.

Once on the Highway (unloaded, and unless I have been cut off on a good hill) I have ONLY shifted out of 6th because I was looking for 7th. I towed a Durango on a car hauler from Vegas to Salt Lake City and never down shifted unless I was exiting the freeway.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Banned

I'd say its pretty safe to say that no matter what you do....stock or modded you will be better off towing with a diesel then a gasser...no comparison.

I'd start stock and put gauges on it, and if you need (or want) more power after that you can easily add it. Stock gasser versus stock diesel, the diesel will walk all over the Hemi towing. Modified the diesel will just embarass a Hemi towing....and 0-60 unloaded for that matter.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:14 AM

I would never buy a Hemi for towing, I have used 5.9ls in the past, both sucked, even modded (towing about 7k not 10)....

Agreed on the 3.73s vs. 4.10s however I'm probably buying off the lot so it will just be whatever one that shows up, I don't think I'll run much over 80 though, don't need any tickets.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:08 PM

Do what I do,
I did the open muffler, air intake and module (Edge Ez).
When I go any where near the dealer, I put the stock intake on and pull the box. I am getting a two gauge piller put on. My reasoning with the dealer is that since I pull in the mountains, I need it even if I have a STOCK truck, minus the muffler......
I have 3.73s & the NV 5600. I haul a 1500# bed mount camper and a 3500# trailer, I averaged 78 most of the time w/o the box. On a 7% grade I did 50 max.

I haven't heard of a dealer around here that allows BOMBed trucks. The two I talked to are ***** at the mention of mods, even the oil filter must be theirs. Go figure.
You guys with the dealers that install BOMB parts are blessed, take care of those folks...

Greg