1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Air lift vs weight distribution

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by sooty
well looky there, now you got a official thread sponser cactus, im liking that lance on the 4x-dually, nice job!
lol, you got that right. Yeah Farmboy has a really nice looking rig. Thats the first one I've seen with silver on top and black sides, thats the exact combo I had decided on for my truck a few weeks ago.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Airlift is right it don't add GVW it just feels like it does, and it will drive better with the load equalizer hitch. i vote for the hitch and see how it does, then maybe add some suspention mods.

I don't mean to derail this to bad but i need to add 1 more pic,

not black......green .

it's kindava pearl so it changes color in different light.

Name:  P8130632.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  230.7 KB

sorry now back on topic.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
Airlift is right it don't add GVW it just feels like it does, and it will drive better with the load equalizer hitch. i vote for the hitch and see how it does, then maybe add some suspention mods.

I don't mean to derail this to bad but i need to add 1 more pic,

not black......green .

sorry now back on topic.
lol optical illusion, O cool then I guess I've never seen the black on silver combo.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I vote for air bags aswell, 60-70 psi for the load pictured makes it ride nicely and feels completely in control.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 PM

I'm not sure about first gens but I have 3/4 ton bags in the back of my 1/2 ton. I would certainly put my vote in the bags to. There a lot more universal for times when you don't have a trailer on and have something in the bad. There also fun to lift your truck higher than someone else's t the flick of a switch
Old 12-14-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Farmboy12357
I have airbags on my pick up, but I have heard that having airbags and loading up your pick up it will tweak or bend the frame because the air bags are on just one part of the frame. What do you guys think?
He could be right, if you loaded it wrong. I seen an 08 dodge come in to my buddies machine shop with the frame broke/split right in two directly behind the cab. It was a logger that had a head unit off of a feller/buncher, loaded
as far forward as he could get it. If he had airbags it would have moved the lift/load bearing point even farther away from the front of the bed, and it probably would have happened sooner than it did. With that being said, if he had airbags, he could have loaded it a little farther back (just forward from rear axle center) and been just fine.
It's funny the differences of opinion on what qualifies as a heavy load. I really have to start stopping at scales now and then so I can snap a pic or two. 4500 pounds? I'd put that in my wifes durango if I could fit it.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
I've had airbags in the back of every truck I've had since 2005. If they can break a frame they would of broke my 06 3500's then. I have a pic somewhere with the rear bumper dragging from a 8ft concrete fountain and 80psi in the bags. Drove it 70 miles like that.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gyman98
I've had airbags in the back of every truck I've had since 2005. If they can break a frame they would of broke my 06 3500's then. I have a pic somewhere with the rear bumper dragging from a 8ft concrete fountain and 80psi in the bags. Drove it 70 miles like that.
Airbags don't hurt frames. They simply move the load bearing point from the two ends of the leaf packs, to a single point directly above the axle. This is all fine and dandy if it's loaded correctly, and helps immensely. But if someone loads something that's not real long but is real heavy all the way up front, then his frame would be screaming.
Take two identical pieces of frame, one 10' long, and one 20' long. Which one is stronger in the center?
I have bags under my dodge and love em. But when I haul WAY more than the gvw, which I do almost every day, I make sure the weight is distributed away from center of frame, especially when my bags are pumped way up.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend has a green similar to that on his camaro, so many pearls in it that you can't tel if it's green, one of several shades of grey, or black, just sitting under the lights in his garage. Sometimes even some purple in it.