Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Rear Air Bags Or Weight Distribution Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Air Bags Or Weight Distribution Hitch?

I have a 22' travel trailer that I use quite often. I was wondering wich would be best for my application as far as leveling the truck and trailer. I hall a quad also in the back of my truck.
With this load I squat a little in the rear end. I have been told by many people to go with the adjustable air bags to level the ride and other people have told me to go with the weight distribution hitch. The truck with trailer drives very nice no sway or bouncing. I am fairly new to this rving thing so i need sugestions.
Thanks,
Tim Ryden
Old 04-15-2005, 03:22 PM

Both.

I've had the best success that way. Some would say overkill, but I've found it very useful. Allows for fine-tuning and control.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:27 PM

I tend to agree, Both. More flexibility.

Doug
Old 04-15-2005, 03:41 PM

So which would you go with first? air bags or weight distributin hitch.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:53 PM

Probably the hitch. Although others may have a different opinon.

Doug
Old 04-15-2005, 04:01 PM

Thanks doug,
Everyones opinion counts that what helps guys like me make a decision.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 04-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

air bags do NOT DO THE WORK OF AN EQUALIZING HITCH. air bags keep the entire load, +or- a little bit on the rear axle.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 PM

As long as the truck is handling the load good with the exception of sagging in the rear, I would start with the air bags, air it up to level and go for a ride. That will tell you if you have to go any farther.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:34 PM

What brand of air bags are you guys using? Are they easy to install on the third generations with the box frame? How much were they and where did you get them from? Any help would be great......
Thanks,
Tim
Old 04-16-2005, 01:58 AM

IMO, I'd say the equalizing hitch is more important for handling than the air bags -- unless you have worn out rear springs. Based on personal experience, I wouldn't tow a large trailer without an equalizing hitch.

I've got Airlift airbags on my truck. Two years and 30K miles, no troubles at all. Summit Racing has them.

However, I have read that you have to be a lot more careful drilling holes on the '03+ hydroformed frames than on the '02's and before -- like mine.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:46 PM
PMK

I have both, and have worked in the trailer insustry for a while. Get the equalizing hitch, it adds a huge level of safty as well as fixes your problems. I never had to get a role over from anyone using equlizing hitches, and they realy cut down on sway although they are not ment for that. Air bag are great to, and fairly cheap, 220$ on line from suspension connecton. I use both and haul a heavy trailer just fine with it.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:22 PM

I have a 19' TT (4500# on a heavy day) and it's amazing how much difference there is between towing with and without the equalizer hitch. The bouncing (porpoising) and what little sway I sometimes do run into without the hitch are completely eliminated by towing with the hitch. I've never had any experience with air bags but have heard great things about them. IMO I would start with the hitch.

By the way...I'm curious - what brand of TT do you have???
Old 04-18-2005, 05:57 AM

The equalizing hitch does just that , takes weight off the rear and distributes it to the front where you need it for best braking and steering control . All you do with air shocks is raise the rear while keeping all the weight there . The more air you use , the stiffer the ride will be.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 AM

Just so that you know....

The new bags for the 3rd gen trucks are a "no drill" kit. Just did mine yesterday, and they were WAY too easy to install. I used the Firestone Ride Rite kit. Also, when you lift your truck they call for a adapter for the back to add length for the install of the bags. Basically if you have lifted the back with blocks, you'll need a spacer kit from Firestone for the kit to work. Like $45 or so. BUT..... my kit came with a bump stop spacer, and the bags fit right up and exactly. It only cost me $1 for two nuts.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:39 PM

If your TT weighs more than 5000 lbs, then you better be using a weight distribution hitch. I'm not familiar with the '04.5 hitches, but my '00 has the Class IV hitch and is only good for 500/5000 without WD (tongue/tow weight), and 1000/10000 with WD. The '00 came with Air Lift bags -- I'm anxious to get the TT out and see how they work.

Quick Reply: Rear Air Bags Or Weight Distribution Hitch?