Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Air bags with weight distribution hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air bags with weight distribution hitch?

Ok folks, just like the subject states. I have been using a weight distribution hitch for the race car trailer. The truck sags a good bit without the hitch. I just purchased some 2299 Firestone air bags for the truck. Can they be used in conjunction with the weight distribution hitch? any pointers on how to set it up using the bags and the distribution hitch.

thanks
Old 12-25-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A buddy of mine runs a monster hauler with two quads on the back, and just upgraded to a much larger tow RV trailer. The result sagged even with upgraded weight distribution hitch.

He set up air bags with the WDH, and it seems to work fine.

As far as how to best set both, I'd imagine everyone's rig is a little different, and you would have to play with air and WDH settings to find the combo that works best for you.

I'd probably start with the WDH at or near maximum tension, then bump up air pressure until things look level, and see how it does.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:23 PM

The weight distribution hitch seems to help with handling more than ride height. My truck has both and it works great.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:26 PM

that is the best way to tow, i would recommend it to everyone that tows a bumper tow trailer.

the weight dis hitch does a great job of transferring the weight to the front, but the tong weight may still make the back sag and the front of the truck lift, which is unsafe, taking the weight off of the front tires will often make the truck wonder, so adding the airbags will level the truck and make the WDH more effective by allowing it to more efficiently transfer the weight to the front tires. when the back is sagging the WDH is expending all of its energy trying to lift the rear of the truck instead of applying the weight to the front. with the airbags installed your hitch ca do what it is designed to do.

and the ride is way better!!!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 PM

The best advise I can give is to not go too extreme on the hitch adjustment.If you unload the rear tires too much you will have traction problems. I run airbags (15 psi with custom springs) and the springbars one link less than my non airbag set-up.

Bob
Old 01-09-2008, 02:58 PM

I have 1,100lb. tongue with weight dist. hitch and air bags and have had no problems at all. I run enough air (depending on load in truck bed and trailer) to level out the truck. I have never had any pulling or traction problems.