1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

adjusting valves after head r and r

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjusting valves after head r and r

hey guys kind of pathetic but after installing my twins and my fuel system as well as having the head o ringed and putting it all back together with studs, i am having difficulties locating TDC. I have been attempting to turn the motor over by the alternator nut(c. clockwise) but it hasn't been working out. my question would be is the reason that my motor is hard to turn by hand the fact that due to compression or that i don't have one of the pushrods seated properly.. this one is kind of a bummer considering i wanted to have my truck up and running soon. also tis would be my first time dealing with the valvetrain so explanations will help alot. also im pretty darn sure that the pushrods are seated correctly. i can get it to turn for a while but number 4 starts compressing and its like the motor just winds up and springs back. sorry it seems like this is a simple question just dont know. thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It is really hard to turn the engine if the valves aren't opening. You gotta go real slow if you use the belt.

Find a rocker that you can thread the adjuster almost all the way down by hand, then set the rest of the adjusters so they stick up about the same amount. That will get all the valves opening so it's easier to turn the engine.

Have you read the thread in the sticky about valve adjustment?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 PM

yes sir i have read the sticky. and i can hear number four opening and closing like they should be but thats it. so i guess the next step is to tighten the other adjusters up some eh? will a barring tool make this an easier process because im getting antsy. thank you much that makes sense to me now that i think about it that way. this is my first headgasket job so your help is appreciated.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:40 PM

You need to borrow a barring tool, let me know. I'll send it to you. Just make sure you send it back!!. PM me if you need it..
Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 PM

If you don't have a barring tool, you can easily rotate the motor counter-clockwise with the nut behind the fan. I wound up buying the barring tool from Cummins for like 40 something dollars after the little TDC pin behind the IP got stuck, and I had to rotate the engine the opposite direction from the way I had been a tiny bit to loosen it.

A 1 7/16 inch wrench fits the fan nut, I believe the exact size is 36mm. The barring tool rotates the motor clockwise, but you have to rotate the ratchet you attach it to counter-clockwise.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:02 AM

i appreciate the offer but if i end up having to get the barring tool then ill just buy it. or i might just have a 36mm wrench laying around actually..i'll update my progress tomorrow as i'll have some time to work on it. kind of embarrassing really.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:10 AM

Pics ?????
Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Not trying to be a edit but is the truck in gear
Old 04-26-2009, 06:03 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pulltilbroke
Not trying to be a edit but is the truck in gear?
Mine was for about the first ten minutes I was trying to do that a couple years ago.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:14 AM
Adminstrator-ess

I've done that one too - several times.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 AM

Really kinda makes you feel like ????? when you leave them in gear trying to roll an engine. Been there a time or two. The barring tool is the ticket I bought mine from Genos when I ordered some things from them. Good luck with your valve adjustment A Port93.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:49 AM

oh my god i think it is haha..im in my house right now but i have gotta go check.i told you its embarrassing.hahaill get some pics today of the new fuel system as well as the twins
Old 04-26-2009, 05:45 PM

yep it was in gear now im just trying to get that timing pin to engage. is there another way to verify tdc or is that it? thanks guys i cant believe that i did that haha. is there any way to use like a punch or something to find the hole in the gear cos im pretty sure ive rolled it past tdc about ten times.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

If you're just trying to adjust the valves you don't need to be perfectly on TDC. Use the "companion cylinder" method that is at the end of the valve adjustment page in the sticky.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by A_port93
yep it was in gear now im just trying to get that timing pin to engage. is there another way to verify tdc or is that it? thanks guys i cant believe that i did that haha. is there any way to use like a punch or something to find the hole in the gear cos im pretty sure ive rolled it past tdc about ten times.
Join the club. I think most of us have done it.

Quick Reply: adjusting valves after head r and r