1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 radiator and electric fans in a 90?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
93 radiator and electric fans in a 90?

Hey everyone.

so yesterday I found that my rad is leaking by the lower hose. I was doing some thinking and was wondering if its worth swapping in a 93 crossflow rad. The truck is a 90 non intercooled 5 speed. Im going to put a second gen intercooler in it which I have all the parts for already.

My main questions are how much work is it to put a 93 rad in and what fans should I put in? I dont tow with the truck and its a daily driver. I was going to hook up the fans to a temp switch. Also gonna delete my ac and my mechanical fan. I found the belt and the sioner pulley to delete everything already. I also have a 93 thermostat housing already. So really all I need is the fans, fan controller, 93 rad, and 93 upper hose.

But like I said I dont know what fans will fit or how much work it is to swap a 93 radio in.

Any input is much appreciated!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Never done it, but I am pretty sure you need the Intercooled radiator support....... I would say unless you needed the additional cooling it isn't worth it.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Never done it, but I am pretty sure you need the Intercooled radiator support....... I would say unless you needed the additional cooling it isn't worth it.
im going to try and do it with the non intercooled rad support it should work I think all I have to do is make some mounting brackets. And I know the cooling of the 93 rad is a lot
​ better design and more efficient. Im just not sure on fan dimensions or cfm
Old 03-05-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I tried electric fans on my truck and found them useless and did not cool worth a darn. If the temps were anywhere over 20*C they had a very very hard time keeping up with the cooling, and that was just running around town, no hwy or pulling, AC etc.

The problem with electric fans on the cummins motor is there is no fan that can generate the same CFM that the OEM fan/clutch assembly can. Waste of time and money IMO.

As for fitting the IC rad in a NON-IC rad support.....never done it that way so can't say....but you'll need the upper and lower mounts. The uppers are easy since they bolt on, but the lower mounts are welded to the core support so might be tougher to find.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-22-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I tried electric fans on my truck and found them useless and did not cool worth a darn. If the temps were anywhere over 20*C they had a very very hard time keeping up with the cooling, and that was just running around town, no hwy or pulling, AC etc.

The problem with electric fans on the cummins motor is there is no fan that can generate the same CFM that the OEM fan/clutch assembly can. Waste of time and money IMO.

As for fitting the IC rad in a NON-IC rad support.....never done it that way so can't say....but you'll need the upper and lower mounts. The uppers are easy since they bolt on, but the lower mounts are welded to the core support so might be tougher to find.
every link I've read said they love their electric fans and have had no issues with them. Im gonna get a 180 thermostat and with the new cross flow rad its gonna cool better than my original rad. But I don't think my mechanical fan is going to fit after the radio swap so the electric fans should fit hopfully I just dont know how but to go on fans or cfm needed.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,572 Posts
I have never heard a guy with a 12V tell me he liked his electric fan swap after he did it.
They all tell me it will not cool enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
mknittle (04-22-2018), thrashingcows (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:22 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizmo52
every link I've read said they love their electric fans and have had no issues with them. Im gonna get a 180 thermostat and with the new cross flow rad its gonna cool better than my original rad. But I don't think my mechanical fan is going to fit after the radio swap so the electric fans should fit hopfully I just dont know how but to go on fans or cfm needed.
Well what did the people use for fans in the links you read?

I can tell you that no aftermarket fan, regardless of what they say the rated CFM is will move as much air as some OEM fans do and certainly not as much as the stock mechanical fan does.
thrashingcows (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:22 AM

But I don't think my mechanical fan is going to fit after the radio swap so the electric fans should fit hopfully I just dont know how but to go on fans or cfm needed.
What does swapping the RADIO out have to do with room for the fans?

Is that the new short hand for radiator?
Old 03-06-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
What does swapping the RADIO out have to do with room for the fans?

Is that the new short hand for radiator?
sorry my phone keeps autocorrecting rad to radio...
mknittle (04-22-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
Well what did the people use for fans in the links you read?

I can tell you that no aftermarket fan, regardless of what they say the rated CFM is will move as much air as some OEM fans do and certainly not as much as the stock mechanical fan does.
thats the think... Some people use ford Taurus fans other use Lincoln fans and some just purple in 2 12" or 14 inch flexalite fans. But they all flow different cfm. Honestly if I can find 2 12" fans that flow 3000 cfm I think it should be plenty
Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
thats the think... Some people use ford Taurus fans other use Lincoln fans and some just purple in 2 12" or 14 inch flexalite fans. But they all flow different cfm. Honestly if I can find 2 12" fans that flow 3000 cfm I think it should be plenty
That was what I was running...2- 12" fans and as I mentioned above they just don't cut it. Perhaps the threads where the people "love 'em" is just the initial time after install, I ran mine for 6-9 months and the first month or so seemed ok, but after that did not care for them a bit.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:49 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Sounds like you've already made your mind up to use electric fans. Please let us know how it works out for you.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
That was what I was running...2- 12" fans and as I mentioned above they just don't cut it. Perhaps the threads where the people "love 'em" is just the initial time after install, I ran mine for 6-9 months and the first month or so seemed ok, but after that did not care for them a bit.
what cfm were the fans? And did you have them on a switch or a temp controller? And when you say they done cool enough so you mean the truck was over heating for just getting warm?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:56 AM

Why do people ask questions, then when they don't get the answer they want...fight it? It is not like A.J. and Thrashing, don't know their 1st gen stuff.

What is the difference between over heating and just getting warm? Both options you can't drive your truck like you want to.

Last I checked you where building some hot rod style truck that is sure to build extra heat over a stock truck.

Flex a Lite makes a $600 twin electric fan for 2nd gen Cummins trucks that comes mounted in it's own fan shroud. It is listed that it will NOT work on rigs that TOW in writing right on the add. I bet that means it can't keep tuned up trucks cool enough either.
If a $600 CUSTOM built fan set up will not work,on a even bigger 2nd gen radiator, some rigged up couple of fans on a '93 radiator is less than likely to work.

Check out Flex A Lite's web site for the CFM and sizes they use, if you just have to do this mod.

If I was to do a '93 radiator swap on a '90 I would use all the factory parts and do it right the first time.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
mknittle (04-22-2018), thrashingcows (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Why do people ask questions, then when they don't get the answer they want...fight it? It is not like A.J. and Thrashing, don't know their 1st gen stuff.

What is the difference between over heating and just getting warm? Both options you can't drive your truck like you want to.

Last I checked you where building some hot rod style truck that is sure to build extra heat over a stock truck.

Flex a Lite makes a $600 twin electric fan for 2nd gen Cummins trucks that comes mounted in it's own fan shroud. It is listed that it will NOT work on rigs that TOW in writing right on the add. I bet that means it can't keep tuned up trucks cool enough either.
If a $600 CUSTOM built fan set up will not work,on a even bigger 2nd gen radiator, some rigged up couple of fans on a '93 radiator is less than likely to work.

Check out Flex A Lite's web site for the CFM and sizes they use, if you just have to do this mod.

If I was to do a '93 radiator swap on a '90 I would use all the factory parts and do it right the first time.
Look dude, I dont know who ****** in your corn flakes but I'm just trying to get information. In no way am I fighting or arguing because im "not getting the answer I'm looking for." Im simply asking about people experiences they've had with as much info as I can get. Which is exactly what the point of a forum is. There is a big difference between getting warm and overheating. And if you read my first post its a daily driver that never tows. It its tuned up and the coolent temps do raise a little after a pull but I've never had a problem with it overheating, with that said I've seen the flexalite setup but I want information on what other people have done.

Quick Reply: 93 radiator and electric fans in a 90?