1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 radiator and electric fans in a 90?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizmo52
Look dude, I dont know who ****** in your corn flakes but I'm just trying to get information. In no way am I fighting or arguing because im "not getting the answer I'm looking for." Im simply asking about people experiences they've had with as much info as I can get. Which is exactly what the point of a forum is. There is a big difference between getting warm and overheating. And if you read my first post its a daily driver that never tows. It its tuned up and the coolent temps do raise a little after a pull but I've never had a problem with it overheating, with that said I've seen the flexalite setup but I want information on what other people have done.

Hey Gizmo.

no one is peeing in your cheerio's either. They're telling you, that from experience, there are several guys on here with more than decades of working with these trucks, who have attempted the project you're going after. They're trying to tell you that the expense you're taking on, and the results you're looking to achieve are most likely "in vain".

Most of the guys on this forum who post daily, are here to HELP others with their rides. They don't get paid, they don't troll to start trouble, and best of all, they're all passionate about these particular genre of Mopar vehicles. Ollie is a freaking encyclopedia of information when it comes to interchanging, swaps, upgrades from gassers, and you name it, as long as it falls under the title of 1st and 2nd Gen dodge cummins trucks. He's owned more 1st and 2nd gen dodges than anyone in the country, and has enough parts on the shelves to build 50 or more complete trucks. The dude can't tie his own shoelaces, but he's done more conversions than anyone I know, and has more knowledge of the specifications of these rides, than anyone I know. Good to have as a friend, eh ?

So, you can take the info provided, and do what you want with it. No one is trying to tell you what to do. They're telling you that you're in all probability, not going to be happy with it, and attempting to spare you the headache's they've already lived.

Let us know how your project all works out.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Look dude, I dont know who ****** in your corn flakes but I'm just trying to get information. In no way am I fighting or arguing because im "not getting the answer I'm looking for." Im simply asking about people experiences they've had with as much info as I can get. Which is exactly what the point of a forum is. There is a big difference between getting warm and overheating. And if you read my first post its a daily driver that never tows. It its tuned up and the coolent temps do raise a little after a pull but I've never had a problem with it overheating, with that said I've seen the flexalite setup but I want information on what other people have done.
Looks like most other people have/would opt to keep the mechanical fan. Maybe you can be a pioneer here and let us know how it works out.

Since the core support is still in the same relative position to the engine I don't see why the mechanical fan wouldn't fit. All the extra room needed for the intercooler and such on the 91.5 to 93's was achieved from the core support out to the grille.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 2,388 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I am just trying to help you out on your project. I would think the info. I [and other] have given you should save you a bunch of time and money. Do what you like with it.

Let me know how it works out for you, if you do try it.

I am off to work on my own 12V swap. I can assure you, I will be using the stock fan and shroud on my build.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Hey Ollie,

Why do you have a pencil up your nose ????

That's not like you !
Attached Thumbnails 93 radiator and electric fans in a 90?-ollie.jpg  
Old 03-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Hey Gizmo.

no one is peeing in your cheerio's either. They're telling you, that from experience, there are several guys on here with more than decades of working with these trucks, who have attempted the project you're going after. They're trying to tell you that the expense you're taking on, and the results you're looking to achieve are most likely "in vain".

Most of the guys on this forum who post daily, are here to HELP others with their rides. They don't get paid, they don't troll to start trouble, and best of all, they're all passionate about these particular genre of Mopar vehicles. Ollie is a freaking encyclopedia of information when it comes to interchanging, swaps, upgrades from gassers, and you name it, as long as it falls under the title of 1st and 2nd Gen dodge cummins trucks. He's owned more 1st and 2nd gen dodges than anyone in the country, and has enough parts on the shelves to build 50 or more complete trucks. The dude can't tie his own shoelaces, but he's done more conversions than anyone I know, and has more knowledge of the specifications of these rides, than anyone I know. Good to have as a friend, eh ?

So, you can take the info provided, and do what you want with it. No one is trying to tell you what to do. They're telling you that you're in all probability, not going to be happy with it, and attempting to spare you the headache's they've already lived.

Let us know how your project all works out.
sorry for my rudeness his message just seemed to come off a little snippy. I do appreciate all the info that everyone is giving me.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
Looks like most other people have/would opt to keep the mechanical fan. Maybe you can be a pioneer here and let us know how it works out.

Since the core support is still in the same relative position to the engine I don't see why the mechanical fan wouldn't fit. All the extra room needed for the intercooler and such on the 91.5 to 93's was achieved from the core support out to the grille.
i havent taken any measurements from the OEM rad to fan but I know the IC rad is about 3/4" thicker so I was under the assumption that it wouldnt fit.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I am just trying to help you out on your project. I would think the info. I [and other] have given you should save you a bunch of time and money. Do what you like with it.

Let me know how it works out for you, if you do try it.

I am off to work on my own 12V swap. I can assure you, I will be using the stock fan and shroud on my build.
sorry for my reaction before. The beginning of your post just seemed to come off a little snippy. I do appreciate the input. Is there any better mechanical fan clutch or blade to use if I do go mechanical?
Old 03-07-2018, 02:48 PM

i havent taken any measurements from the OEM rad to fan but I know the IC rad is about 3/4" thicker so I was under the assumption that it wouldnt fit.
The IC rad fits closer to the core support.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:58 PM

sorry for my reaction before. The beginning of your post just seemed to come off a little snippy. I do appreciate the input. Is there any better mechanical fan clutch or blade to use if I do go mechanical?
No worries, I am just trying to save you some time and money.

I am not saying you can't make the electric fan work. I am just saying that lots and lots of very mechanically inclined people could not get it to work well enough for them in the past.

If you don't have an overheating problem now, just a leaky rad.... I would just replace the NON IC'ed radiator with the proper one and be done with it.

Otherwise to get the '93 style rad. to fit right using stock parts, you would need to change the:
upper rad. neck and hose
Fan hub and clutch fan
radiator
fan shroud
core support and grille - unless you wanted to do some extra work to make the parts fit. Which if you doing the 2nd gen I/C swap, you are better off at least installing the later grille as it will give you some extra room to work with.
I have done the 2nd gen intercooler swap on my '91.0 and one of my '85 crew cabs and the later grille is the easiest way to make it happen.

That seems like a lot to to do unless you really already have an over heating problem.

The stock stuff always seems to work well enough for my projects. I am unaware of a better mechanical fan option.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
No worries, I am just trying to save you some time and money.

I am not saying you can't make the electric fan work. I am just saying that lots and lots of very mechanically inclined people could not get it to work well enough for them in the past.

If you don't have an overheating problem now, just a leaky rad.... I would just replace the NON IC'ed radiator with the proper one and be done with it.

Otherwise to get the '93 style rad. to fit right using stock parts, you would need to change the:
upper rad. neck and hose
Fan hub and clutch fan
radiator
fan shroud
core support and grille - unless you wanted to do some extra work to make the parts fit. Which if you doing the 2nd gen I/C swap, you are better off at least installing the later grille as it will give you some extra room to work with.
I have done the 2nd gen intercooler swap on my '91.0 and one of my '85 crew cabs and the later grille is the easiest way to make it happen.

That seems like a lot to to do unless you really already have an over heating problem.

The stock stuff always seems to work well enough for my projects. I am unaware of a better mechanical fan option.
i wanna stay with my stock 90 grill so I'm gonna try and make evwrything fit. I think i can mount the ic rad pretty easily. I have a thermostat housing from a second gen already. I just need to get the thermostat and gaskets and the upper hose and rad of course. I have a buddy that has 2 fans off a coach bus and he says it works perfectly but I dont know where he got them exactly.

im still going to sway the rad as for the fans... Still looking for a set that will work. Ill keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks again for the help
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Hay guys just an update. I swapped the intercooled rad into my non intercooled rad support. Just had to get a intercooled thermostat housing and an intercooled upper hose. Made my own mounts out of 3 inchs angle iron. Fits nice and snug. Also did my mechanical fan delete and ac delete. electric fan installed too. Used a two speed fan from a 96 mark 8 trimmed it up a bit and wired the high speed to come on at 195.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:02 AM

Well? Progression requires sharing visual representation for those of us with limited

intelligence.

The following 3 users liked this post by NJTman:
mknittle (04-22-2018), nonrev (04-22-2018), thrashingcows (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Ok, now that this is all hashed out, I live somewhere between Hades and the caldera of a nearby volcano and the temps approach 1 million degrees farengrade and I have a very similar truck. Mine has never even gotten to half way on the temp gauge and that is with 200% pure antifreeze. I don't know what all the hubbub is about fans, intercoolers and radiators. It seems that it is most often people that live way north of the northpole. I am currently trying to slip bigger tires over my existing tires, like slippers, because I might have a flat tire. Really, my main project now is finding a new air filter grinder, because Tman made me sell my old one ... Melty Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by maybe368:
edwinsmith (04-22-2018), nonrev (04-22-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman

Well? Progression requires sharing visual representation for those of us with limited

intelligence.
RRRIIIGGGHHHTTTT! that would help

Driver Side Upper Mount (Rad)

Passenger Side Upper Mount (Rad)

Solenoid/ Controller wiring. (Controller activates solenoid to power fan at 195

Upper Fan Mounts (on Rad) also Routing of belt with AC Delete and Fan Hub Delete

Lower Rad Mounts and Fan Lower Mounts insert in clips on the Rad

Lower Fan Mounts

Water Pump Clearance

Fan Motor Clearance

Tried to get a Crank Clearance shot

if there's anything else specific or you want some more shots let me know

once again this is all in a 1990 d250 with a non intercooled rad support. fan rarely kicks on and when it does it drops in about 10 seconds

Fan is out of a 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII (2 Speed Fan with High Speed Wired to the temp switch. low speed will be connected to a manual switch
Old 04-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
So, a question: Would this work with no ac delete? I assume that you took out the a/c condenser. It seems a bit illogical to me to need better cooling in a place where you don't need ac. This is from a guy that hikes in 115 plus heat all summer long. Did the truck have an over heating problem? I am just being Devil's advocate, it looks like good work, just questioning the need, besides the radiator leak...Mark Edit: I see that the condenser is still there...

Quick Reply: 93 radiator and electric fans in a 90?