1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

727 band material & type

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
727 band material & type

Hi all, new here so I thought for my first post I would task your collective wisdom on a choice of band material for the 2nd gear kickdown band on a 727 used behind a "89" Cummins diesel.

The choice is between a solid hd kevlar band or a solid red Alto band.
Also, what is your preference in this application...solid or flex.

I've had the old girl since new and I don't plan on getting rid of her so longevity and durability are key. I will also be installing a shift kit as well as a new torque converter to replace the BD one in there now. I have already replaced the original flexplate once with a Dodge one, but figure that now that it is out I might as well add a SFI approved plate...I don't want to pull it out again if I rip the center out like the first one.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to DTR!
I used a flex band with a red friction material on it in my last rebuild.

Write up on trans rebuild

47RH swap information

If you not planning on getting rid of it I would consider jumping up to an overdrive trans, skip the A518 and go for a 47RH if you decide to do something like that. What you use the truck for and funds will come into play with a swap.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the links, Ive read BC847's rebuild thread and your's as well...lots of good info there.
It's just a 2wdr bomber, no heavy loads, no heavy trailer, just a very heavy foot. So while I would love a 47RH I can't really justify it right now. Besides the trans is in really nice shape internally. I just figured while it is out that I would upgrade a few things. So much easier now than later when it really needs it.
The original red flex band is still in pretty decent shape, it's just that I have two new bands to choose from, one being a lightly constructed Kevlar flex band and the other is a very heavily constructed Red Eagle solid band. I think I'll be going to the solid band. I thought there might be a difference in friction coefficients and shift quality, especially in conjunction with a shift kit installed.
By the way I thought I might as well include a picture of the old girl, Ive got all the pieces now so it won't be long before it is all back together again. Then I'll give it a road test and park it for the winter.
Thank for the info JD.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Willy74
Thanks for the links, Ive read BC847's rebuild thread and your's as well...lots of good info there.
It's just a 2wdr bomber, no heavy loads, no heavy trailer, just a very heavy foot. So while I would love a 47RH I can't really justify it right now. Besides the trans is in really nice shape internally. I just figured while it is out that I would upgrade a few things. So much easier now than later when it really needs it.
The original red flex band is still in pretty decent shape, it's just that I have two new bands to choose from, one being a lightly constructed Kevlar flex band and the other is a very heavily constructed Red Eagle solid band. I think I'll be going to the solid band. I thought there might be a difference in friction coefficients and shift quality, especially in conjunction with a shift kit installed.
By the way I thought I might as well include a picture of the old girl, Ive got all the pieces now so it won't be long before it is all back together again. Then I'll give it a road test and park it for the winter.
Thank for the info JD.

I would stick with what you have.

The flex band will work just fine with a warped drum...............If your putting the ridged band on, you better make sure the drum is true.

As fare is the two material go, i have a sinking suspicion that they are the same.
like i said before, i would stick with what you have in there now if it is still in good shape.

Flash
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the heads up Flash, I'll stick the drum on the lathe and put a dial indicator on it to verify that it is straight.
I often wondered what the benefit of the flex band was. I can see that it would be more forgiving in warped drum situation. Good to know.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 AM

Well I'm glad that I ordered a heavy duty flex plate before I pulled the transmission.

I tore the center out of the original one years ago. Replaced it with a new and improved Dodge one about 10 years ago. I never felt good about it because it didn't look any much better than the first one.

Anyway, while waiting for a bushing kit to show up for my trans rebuild I decided to replace the flex plate...and what did I find? You guess it, cracks, two of them to be exact, about two inches long each.

Just goes to show you, if you've got a transmission out do as much upgrading as possible, cause you never now what will bite you next, or again.